Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foote, Timmons battle for linebacker position By John Harris

Pro Bowler

Re: Foote, Timmons battle for linebacker position By John Harris

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":i7y9e8bn
    I believe I've read here that Farrior has stated he isn't above giving the "hometown discount" to stay with the Steelers. I believe he's got some good years left in him.
    Don't you have to be from the hometown to give the "hometown discount"??

Just sayin' :P

But totally agree with you that Farrior has at least a few more years of playing at a high level. Since Peezy left, he has become the leader of this defense and despite the amount of talent/depth we have at lb right now, it would create a huge hole in our team if he left.
    I know you're kidding, but I believe in the NFL "hometown discount" refers to taking less money to resign with your current team.

At least that's how I always understood it based on how I've seen it used.[/quote:i7y9e8bn]

I've always thought it to mean that a guy who is originally from a town or area of a team would choose to come back and play for his hometown team for a discount. Like over the past few seasons there's been talk of Jason Taylor (from Pitt) and Ty Law (from Aliquippa) taking the "hometown" discount to play for the Steelers.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    "He's been playing a lot of stuff that (safety) Troy (Polamalu) plays. So when Troy gets back, I don't know what they're going to do."
    I like this part. It would be good if LeBeau would use Timmons as his fast, athletic, hard-hitting madman out there that roams around everywhere causing havoc, thus keeping Troy as a playmaking safety back there. Many folks here have lamented about how using Troy to blitz up the middle, slamming his body into 300+ pounders, has contributed to his injury woes. Timmons' body could hold up to that punishment better than Polamalu's and he seems to have the skill set to be able to pull something like that off.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    "He's been playing a lot of stuff that (safety) Troy (Polamalu) plays. So when Troy gets back, I don't know what they're going to do."
    I like this part. It would be good if LeBeau would use Timmons as his fast, athletic, hard-hitting madman out there that roams around everywhere causing havoc, thus keeping Troy as a playmaking safety back there. Many folks here have lamented about how using Troy to blitz up the middle, slamming his body into 300+ pounders, has contributed to his injury woes. Timmons' body could hold up to that punishment better than Polamalu's and he seems to have the skill set to be able to pull something like that off.

I just read somewhere that that is exactly the kind or role Timmons has been playing. Maybe its something in between what Troy has been doing and what was hoped Keisel would do.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks