Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good problem to have

Pro Bowler

Re: A good problem to have

I don't see the problem with carrying 4 QB's if you have a problem like the Steelers are faced with. I think the best option would be to buy Charlie out with an injury settlement and then if he can come back later on then the team can look at that option. I just don't think that Leftwich was brought in to be cut week 4, and I sure as heck don't see the sense in putting Dixon on waivers hoping that he will get to the PS. The guy has talent and the team needs to hold on to that. It will not be fun watching Charlie walk but what other choice is the team given?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.
    Link?

Not that I don't trust your word Ruthless, I've just never seen that before and it doesn't make a lot of sense. If that's the case, then it's going to have to come down to placing Batch on IR (which apparently we won't do), keeping four quarterbacks on the active roster, or subjecting Dixon to waivers and the practice squad. Not exactly good options.
    It is mentioned on the wikipedia entry (I know, not the most reliable source in the world, but it is usually pretty accurate most of the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physica...ble_to_Perform

I just did a pretty exhaustive google search and saw that same information in a couple of fan forums. However, I also found the following:

LeCharles Bentley's return will wait at least another six weeks.

The Browns center who suffered a torn patellar tendon during training camp in July 2006 was placed on the reserve-physically unable to perform list Tuesday.

The rules for the PUP list are as follows:

During the first six weeks of the regular season, players on Reserve/PUP are allowed to attend meetings and continue rehabilitation at the club facility, but are not eligible to practice with the club.

After the sixth week, the club has a three-week window (Weeks 7-9) to allow a player on Reserve/PUP to begin practicing with the club. Once the player begins practice, he can practice for three weeks before the club must make a decision as to his roster status.

At any point following the sixth week of the regular season through the expiration of the player's three week practice window, the club can add the player to the 53-man roster or place the player on Reserve-Injured. Additionally, at the expiration of the practice window, the club can allow the player to remain on Reserve/PUP for the remainder of the season.

Bentley has been participating in meetings with his teammates since training camp opened and has been on the field for a handful of practices, but hasn't yet been cleared by the Browns' medical staff to participate. Placing him on PUP frees up a roster spot and gives the Browns six to nine weeks to evaluate Bentley's rehab and progress.

* PUP list: Physically Unable to Perform -
    this List designates players with serious injuries that will keep them from being able to start a season on the 53-man protected list but may be able to return to the roster during the regular season. The players must be placed on this roster at or before the league-wide 65-man summer roster cutdown to be eligible for this designation, and they must stay on this list for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. After this time teams have 3 weeks to evaluate such players after which each such player must be placed on the 53-man roster, season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) or waivers.

The first one on Bentley is also from a forum but it discusses how he was placed on the PUP list after suffering an injury during camp.

The second set of information came from a sports site that was breaking down the PUP rules and seems to indicate that Batch would still be eligible since we haven't even hit the first wave of mandated cuts.

I'm not sold either way on this yet and if someone could find a more definitive answer that would be great. To me it's the only promising option we have for this quarterback situation.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.
    Link?

Not that I don't trust your word Ruthless, I've just never seen that before and it doesn't make a lot of sense. If that's the case, then it's going to have to come down to placing Batch on IR (which apparently we won't do), keeping four quarterbacks on the active roster, or subjecting Dixon to waivers and the practice squad. Not exactly good options.
    It is mentioned on the wikipedia entry (I know, not the most reliable source in the world, but it is usually pretty accurate most of the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physica...ble_to_Perform

I just did a pretty exhaustive google search and saw that same information in a couple of fan forums. However, I also found the following:

LeCharles Bentley's return will wait at least another six weeks.

The Browns center who suffered a torn patellar tendon during training camp in July 2006 was placed on the reserve-physically unable to perform list Tuesday.

The rules for the PUP list are as follows:

During the first six weeks of the regular season, players on Reserve/PUP are allowed to attend meetings and continue rehabilitation at the club facility, but are not eligible to practice with the club.

After the sixth week, the club has a three-week window (Weeks 7-9) to allow a player on Reserve/PUP to begin practicing with the club. Once the player begins practice, he can practice for three weeks before the club must make a decision as to his roster status.

At any point following the sixth week of the regular season through the expiration of the player's three week practice window, the club can add the player to the 53-man roster or place the player on Reserve-Injured. Additionally, at the expiration of the practice window, the club can allow the player to remain on Reserve/PUP for the remainder of the season.

Bentley has been participating in meetings with his teammates since training camp opened and has been on the field for a handful of practices, but hasn't yet been cleared by the Browns' medical staff to participate. Placing him on PUP frees up a roster spot and gives the Browns six to nine weeks to evaluate Bentley's rehab and progress.

* PUP list: Physically Unable to Perform -
    this List designates players with serious injuries that will keep them from being able to start a season on the 53-man protected list but may be able to return to the roster during the regular season. The players must be placed on this roster at or before the league-wide 65-man summer roster cutdown to be eligible for this designation, and they must stay on this list for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. After this time teams have 3 weeks to evaluate such players after which each such player must be placed on the 53-man roster, season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) or waivers.

The first one on Bentley is also from a forum but it discusses how he was placed on the PUP list after suffering an injury during camp.

The second set of information came from a sports site that was breaking down the PUP rules and seems to indicate that Batch would still be eligible since we haven't even hit the first wave of mandated cuts.

I'm not sold either way on this yet and if someone could find a more definitive answer that would be great. To me it's the only promising option we have for this quarterback situation.
    wow- nice find Flasteel thanks for clearing that up.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.