Thread: Essex showing flashes of brilliance

Legend

User Info Menu

Essex showing flashes of brilliance

Essex showing flashes of brilliance
    By Jim Wexell, For the Herald-Standard
    08/12/2008
    Updated 08/12/2008 12:15

LATROBE - Trai Essex is playing so well these days, he's being mentioned as a leading contender for the Ed Block Courage Award.

Oh, wait, that's Pitt.

But the Steelers' fourth-year offensive lineman is being lauded for having his best camp with the team by far.

"I just came into this year with a different focus," said Essex. "I knew this was my year. I've got a one-year contract, so I've got to prove to the coaches I can handle whatever they can give me."

Essex is actually in the final year of his first contract after being drafted in the third round by the Steelers. It's that first-day draft status that has caused many to look at him as a disappointment, but he's improved drastically in what appears to be a salary drive.

"No, it's not the money," he said. "I want to play. It's my fourth year. I've been a spot guy for three years. I just want to play."

Monday morning, Essex moved back to left tackle where he replaced Marvel Smith on the first team to give the starter a rest. In the afternoon, he was the star of the only scuffle in camp this year. Here's the blow by blow:

Essex stoned pass-rusher Ryan McBean and a frustrated McBean began pushing and shoving.

McBean muttered to teammates and coaches on his way back to his side, but the coaches told him to step back up. One said, "You want to whip his (butt), whip it now."

Essex stoned McBean again, but this time threw him to the ground and gave him an extra slap on the chest while he was down. McBean hopped up and began throwing punches/slaps and the fight was quickly broken up.

You don't tug on Superman's cape, or mess with the leading Ed Block Award candidate.

NEW MEN OVER THE BALL

After watching tape, one team official lauded the play of the offensive line Friday night, and one player in particular: "It was Sean Mahan's finest hour," he said.

But all it got Mahan was a place with the second team as Justin Hartwig, acquired in the offseason, began to prepare for his pre-planned start Thursday.

"We're going to start Justin and take a look at him," Coach Mike Tomlin said of the center competition. "It's running its course. I think we'll have more information after we play Thursday night."

The Steelers will also have a new nose tackle Thursday night. Casey Hampton, fresh off the PUP list, will resume his spot with the first team.

"It looks like he's knocking the rust off pretty quickly," Tomlin said.

INJURY REPORT

Charlie Batch underwent surgery to repair his broken collarbone, but Tomlin couldn't provide any more specifics. Also missing practice were DE Kyle Clement (knee sprain), LB Mike Humpal (stinger), FS Ryan Mundy (ankle), CB Deshea Townsend (groin) and OLB James Harrison (shin).

Tomlin explained that Harrison was kicked in the shin and experienced some swelling, but is expected back Tuesday.

Tomlin was asked for a prognosis on whoever kicked Harrison.

"He's out," Tomlin said.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Essex showing flashes of brilliance

I can still remember when the Steelers drafted Essex...and the draft "gurus" were scrambling trying to find out who he was. Could be a great story if he finally gets it.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Essex has finally gotten it and shows up big over the next three preseason games, I look for them to let Marvel and Starks go. I really thought Essex did pretty darn well when he started against Baltimore and the Jags last year.

Wonder how much cap space that would clear off the books?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Tomlin explained that Harrison was kicked in the shin and experienced some swelling, but is expected back Tuesday.

Tomlin was asked for a prognosis on whoever kicked Harrison.

"He's out," Tomlin said.
    Coach is becoming a comedian with his injury reports. Nice. He's got some personality. I like it. Unlike the way the smug @$$hole coach up in Foxboro lying his way through every league-mandated injury report.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McBean? The measuring stick for our offensive linemen is McBean? yoi and double yoi.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    If Essex has finally gotten it and shows up big over the next three preseason games, I look for them to let Marvel and Starks go. I really thought Essex did pretty darn well when he started against Baltimore and the Jags last year.

Not as much as you would think. Starks 7 million is guaranteed so we would save nothing by releasing him.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

Not as much as you would think. Starks 7 million is guaranteed so we would save nothing by releasing him.
    I think he was referring to possibly not re-signing Marvel or Max next year when their contracts are up, not cutting them this season. Remember, of course, that Essex's contract is also up after this year as well. Colon may be an RFA too but that shouldn't be a major issue. Hills may be the only OT we have locked up beyond this season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I think he was referring to possibly not re-signing Marvel or Max next year when their contracts are up, not cutting them this season. Remember, of course, that Essex's contract is also up after this year as well. Colon may be an RFA too but that shouldn't be a major issue. Hills may be the only OT we have locked up beyond this season.
    Ooops ... since he was talking about preseason I thought he meant this year. Sorry about that. Isn't Kemo up after this year also?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Ooops ... since he was talking about preseason I thought he meant this year. Sorry about that. Isn't Kemo up after this year also?
    Yup. And McFadden. And Farrior. A lot of decisions to be made after this year.