Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leftwich gets through 1st practice with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Leftwich gets through 1st practice with Steelers

Leftwich gets through 1st practice with Steelers
    Aug 11, 7:21 pm [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqZ7Z5zcqeVaVVvgwTcTQz2T2bYF?slug=ap-steelers-leftwich&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns[/url]

Buzz Up PrintLATROBE, Pa. (AP)—Byron Leftwich waited nine months to get back on the practice field. Now that he’s done that, his first NFL action is likely only days away.

Signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, the quarterback brought in to replace injured backup Charlie Batch impressed during his first two practices with the team on Monday, so much that coach Mike Tomlin said “it looks like he’ll be able to play” Thursday when the team plays the Buffalo Bills in Toronto.

“I was impressed simply by the fact he was a quick study,” Tomlin said after a rain-soaked afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College. “He was able to step out there and step in the huddle, spew the verbiage out, get people lined up and actually get the ball around.”

Leftwich, a former No. 7 overall pick and starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars, worked out Sunday for the team along with former Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The team was need of a veteran backup after Batch broke his collarbone in a 16-10 preseason win Friday against Philadelphia.

“Any time you put on shoulder pads and helmets for the first day, it’s always tough,” said Leftwich, who was released by the Jaguars after training camp last year and appeared in three games with the Atlanta Falcons. “I haven’t had a chance to put this stuff on since November when I got hurt, so it’s good to be out here and good to be part of an organization like this.”

Leftwich has no illusions about being a starter with Pittsburgh, which has Pro Bowler Ben Roethlisberger at the position. But after Batch, the team had only rookies Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts on the roster and wanted some insurance. Batch had surgery Monday and is expected to miss about six weeks.

Leftwich is reunited with Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson, who held the same position with Jacksonville.

“He’s a very smart quarterback, and he’s got a strong arm,” Anderson said. “He understands we have an established starter here, and he’s just happy to do what we ask him to do.”

Others besides Batch not practicing for Pittsburgh on Monday were punter Daniel Sepulveda, safety Ryan Mundy, who will miss at least two weeks with a high ankle sprain, cornerback Deshea Townsend (groin) and rookies defensive lineman Kyle Clement (knee) and linebacker Mike Humpel (neck).

Linebacker James Harrison missed the afternoon session after getting kicked in the shin during the morning workout, and safety Troy Polamalu remains on the physically unable to perform list due to a hamstring injury.

Among those who did practice was nose guard Casey Hampton, who came off the physically unable to perform list Sunday after reporting to camp overweight.

“It’s going to be a little work, but when it’s time, I’ll be ready to go,” Hampton said

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Leftwich gets through 1st practice with Steelers

Gosh the more I read and hear Leftwich talk, I love the signing even more. Perfect fit as a backup, is definitely capable of stepping in if needed, not at the elite level of Ben, but he is a formidable backup. I love his attitude too.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe that Batch's days as a Steeler are numbered.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I have to agree because and am somewhat disappointed. Being a "hometown" player he has been an outstanding citizen and has done great work in the community.

You can't deny the fact that physically BL is the better player, but I wonder if Batch's "mind" is going to be missed on game day. He was always talking to Ben everytime he came off the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a huge Batch fan so I won't lose sleep. I like the idea of a younger cannon armed back up.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I have to agree because and am somewhat disappointed. Being a "hometown" player he has been an outstanding citizen and has done great work in the community.

You can't deny the fact that physically BL is the better player, but I wonder if Batch's "mind" is going to be missed on game day. He was always talking to Ben everytime he came off the field.
    I don't worry too much about Leftwich not being the same type of sideline influence as Batch. Byron and Ben have known each other since their Marshall vs. Miami (OH) showdowns in college, so they should get along fine.

Although Charlie has 10 years of NFL experience vs. Byron's 5 years, in terms of NFL starting experience, they are much closer (50 starts for Batch vs. 46 for Leftwich...Ben, by the way, has the most starting experience with 55 starts).

Although Leftwich has the better arm, my main concern is his lack of mobility, particularly behind this line. Even at 33, Batch is more mobile than the 28 year old Leftwich.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They will only be numbered if Leftwich will be willing to play as a backup for a number of years which I don't see happening after this year. I guess is that they will resign Batch and continue working on Dixon as the new #2.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    They will only be numbered if Leftwich will be willing to play as a backup for a number of years which I don't see happening after this year. I guess is that they will resign Batch and continue working on Dixon as the new #2.
    $$$$$$$

Don't get too excited over Leftwich sticking around.

Buh-Bye

Leftwich ready for new role

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Byron Leftwich worked out for the Steelers Sunday morning, signed with them late Sunday afternoon, met some of his new teammates at dinner shortly thereafter and was on the field for his first practice on Monday morning.

It’s been a crazy 24 hours for the new Steelers quarterback, but he isn’t complaining.

“I am happy to be here and that Coach (Mike) Tomlin gave me this opportunity,” said Leftwich. “I am excited because it is a new offense. There are new, good football players around me. As a quarterback you love that.”

The Steelers were looking for a veteran quarterback to back-up Ben Roethlisberger after Charlie Batch suffered a broken collarbone against the Eagles. Leftwich, a former number one draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars, understands that he is coming in as a number two guy and is willing to accept the role.

“That’s why I am here,” said Leftwich. “Only a fool would come in this place and think week one he would be the starter. My goal is not going to change. It’s to help the team. I am going to work my tail off and do whatever they ask of me.

“It’s different because you are not ‘the guy’, but it’s not different because my whole goal is to help the football team any way I can. That is what I am going to do. I am going to prepare myself everyday in case I am needed. If I am needed we can’t miss a beat and that is what I am going to try to work myself too.”

Leftwich expects to play on Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills in Toronto, even if he will be a little green as far as learning the offense. But he isn’t worried about being ready physically as he has stayed in shape even though he hasn’t played football in months.

“Any time you put on the shoulder pads and helmet the first day is always tough,” said Leftwich. “I have been working out but with no helmet and shoulder pads. I was in Miami training just getting ready and waiting on the call. I wanted to make sure when I got the call I was ready.”

One big advantage that Leftwich does have is Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson worked with him when he was in Jacksonville.

“It’s a blessing in disguise,” said Leftwich. “Football is the same, but to have a guy who coached me all of those years he can translate it for me. We had some of the same plays, the communication and interpretation is different. He can translate it for me and that way I can get it right now. I am behind everybody.

“I am trying to learn as fast as I can. To have a guy like that who you had a relationship before and have a lot of respect for helps me out.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Leftwich ready for new role

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Byron Leftwich worked out for the Steelers Sunday morning, signed with them late Sunday afternoon, met some of his new teammates at dinner shortly thereafter and was on the field for his first practice on Monday morning.

It’s been a crazy 24 hours for the new Steelers quarterback, but he isn’t complaining.

“I am happy to be here and that Coach (Mike) Tomlin gave me this opportunity,” said Leftwich. “I am excited because it is a new offense. There are new, good football players around me. As a quarterback you love that.”

The Steelers were looking for a veteran quarterback to back-up Ben Roethlisberger after Charlie Batch suffered a broken collarbone against the Eagles. Leftwich, a former number one draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars, understands that he is coming in as a number two guy and is willing to accept the role.

“That’s why I am here,” said Leftwich. “Only a fool would come in this place and think week one he would be the starter. My goal is not going to change. It’s to help the team. I am going to work my tail off and do whatever they ask of me.

“It’s different because you are not ‘the guy’, but it’s not different because my whole goal is to help the football team any way I can. That is what I am going to do. I am going to prepare myself everyday in case I am needed. If I am needed we can’t miss a beat and that is what I am going to try to work myself too.”

Leftwich expects to play on Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills in Toronto, even if he will be a little green as far as learning the offense. But he isn’t worried about being ready physically as he has stayed in shape even though he hasn’t played football in months.

“Any time you put on the shoulder pads and helmet the first day is always tough,” said Leftwich. “I have been working out but with no helmet and shoulder pads. I was in Miami training just getting ready and waiting on the call. I wanted to make sure when I got the call I was ready.”

One big advantage that Leftwich does have is Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson worked with him when he was in Jacksonville.

“It’s a blessing in disguise,” said Leftwich. “Football is the same, but to have a guy who coached me all of those years he can translate it for me. We had some of the same plays, the communication and interpretation is different. He can translate it for me and that way I can get it right now. I am behind everybody.

“I am trying to learn as fast as I can. To have a guy like that who you had a relationship before and have a lot of respect for helps me out.”
    Nice read thanks for posting it

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.