Thread: Don't expect great crowd in Toronto

Don't expect great crowd in Toronto

Well, for years I have said that Toronto would be a great NFL city. We have a large populartion (about 5 million) and a solid fan base with loyalties to many teams.

When the Bills and Rogers (the company bringing the games here, and owners of the Rogers Centre) announced the 8 game series here (5 regular season, 3 pre season over the next 5 years) there was a lot of buzz in the media. Unfortunately, they must have overestimated the commitment of the fans, because they decided to try to exploit us mercilessly.

Tickets are ridiculously overpriced ($70 - $575 CDN which was close enough to par to make it almost the same in US dollars). But that is only the tip of the problem. They held a lottery to have the opportunity to purchase tickets - there are two games here this year, Pittsburgh pre season and the Dolphins in the regular season. In order to purchase tickets, you were required to buy either a 3 game package or an 8 game package.

The 3 gamer is all pre season. You would be required to buy the Steeler game this week, plus an unnamed opponent in 2010, and another unnamed opponent in 2012. Lay out all the money today for a pre season game 4 years from now!!

The 8 gamer was obviously for all 8 games over the next 5 years. Once again you are required to lay out all of the money up front. Of course, on top of everything else, there were different service charges that ran the price up even higher.

Because I only want to commit to Thursday's game with my 5 year old son, I looked into the 3 game package. The cheapest seats in the house were going to run me in the neighborhood of $750.00 when all was said and done. I looked into some better upper deck seating, and that was going to run me around $1,800.00!! Look, I just want to take my kid to a pre season game, not buy the Bills!!

Obviously I decided not to shell out that kind of dough to take my kid to the game, after all, I can road trip with him to PA for less. A few weeks later, I looked on Stubhub and purchased seats. Now they are even cheaper.

All the people who thought they were going to get into this investment and make big money all got caught - and I know a few. I saw today tickets for as low as $33.00 as time is running out. Anyways, I happily shelled out my money to Stubhub and have my seats. I was not forced to pay today for a pre season tilt between the Bills and 49ers, or Jets, or Browns in 2012.

Anyways, hopefully all the last minute corrections to the market will help bring in a decent crowd. However, I suspect that you will see a lot of empty seats with high price tags around the dome. Moreso, I'm sure that I'll hear a lot of grumbling on sports radio about how badly Rogers is raping the fans. Ironically, the local sports talk radio staion is owned by...you guessed it, Rogers - so I am sure that their opinion of them will be less than honest.

Anyways, just a little rant while I await the game in a couple of days.

Re: Don't expect great crowd in Toronto

That is R-E-Diculous.

Seriously though, that is exploitation of the highest kind. I'm glad you stood pat and didn't succumb to that. And you ended up getting a great deal at that. Enjoy the game!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

What a jip! Sounds like what the Raiders do when the Steelers come to town they try and make you buy 3 games since they know the Steelers fans are crazy enough to do it.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Just go through ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-TICKETS-PITTSBURG ... dZViewItem

this auction, whic is ending today, will get you two tickets for pretty cheap.

Hall of Famer

that is bullsh$$. i cant believe they try to rope you into buying other games that you probably dont even want to see

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    What a jip! Sounds like what the Raiders do when the Steelers come to town they try and make you buy 3 games since they know the Steelers fans are crazy enough to do it.
    At least the Raiders try to dump two games from the same year on you. Here they want you to buy games in 2012!!! effin ridiculous.

Anyways, I got my tix on Stubhub and only paid cost - still $75.00 a ticket in the upper deck endzone, but I can accept a small ripoff. You can get the same tickets today for about $35.00 - $50.00 on that site. Anyone close who wants to come, either try there or craigslist.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Just go through ebay

Have to agree. I've gotten good deals on Ebay - better than similar seats on Stub Hub anyway. Just make sure your seller has positive feedback and you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Just go through ebay

Have to agree. I've gotten good deals on Ebay - better than similar seats on Stub Hub anyway. Just make sure your seller has positive feedback and you should be ok.
    completely. You can really get scammed, especially at the last minute. I just bought tickets for the Steelers Panthers preseason game on ebay, and even though things look on the up and up, i still worry until I get them in hand. That being said, you can get much better deals on ebay than ticket services. Every time I plan a trip back to the burgh and am attending a Steelers game, I have gone through ebay, and so far, I haven't been disappointed. I just got 6 upper deck tickets for 25 bucks a pop for this trip, plus shipping. not bad.