Thread: If Carson Palmer had the steelers running game

If Carson Palmer had the steelers running game

RUDI JOHNSON

2004 = 1454 YARDS
    2005 = 1458 YARDS
    2006 = 1309 YARDS

Pro Bowler

Re: If Carson Palmer had the steelers running game

To be fair, he's never had a good D to work with, either. That's what Bengaloids love to point out more. But D or no D, Palmer's starting to make a reputation as a master choke artist.

Hence the reason Palmer = elite passer, not elite QB.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch

To be fair, he's never had a good D to work with, either. That's what Bengaloids love to point out more. But D or no D, Palmer's starting to make a reputation as a master choke artist.

Their defense forced a league high 43 Turnovers in 2005. This giving the Bengals offense great field postion all year long. (I wonder if this had anythingto do with their mighty offense in 2005?)

well this isnt 2005 there defence got worse i do believe.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    RUDI JOHNSON

2004 = 1454 YARDS
    2005 = 1458 YARDS
    2006 = 1309 YARDS

So now total yards is your indicator for a good running game? I thought you always used YPC instead? Changing your tune to fit your lame argument MSM?

Here is what you should have posted:

Rudi Johnson:

2006: 3.8 YPC
    2005: 4.3 YPC
    2004: 4.0 YPC

Willie Parker:

2006: 4.1 YPC
    2005: 4.4 YPC
    2004: 4.7 YPC

Bengals overall:

2006: 26th in rushing, 3.7 YPC (25th in the league)
    2005: 11th in rushing, 4.2 YPC (9th in the league)
    2004: 17th in rushing, 4.2 YPC (14th in the league)

In 2005 we were a good running team. In the first half of the league and look at the results that season. Still not top 5 but we don't need to be. Just as long as we are close to a top 10 running game...

Their defense forced a league high 43 Turnovers in 2005. This giving the Bengals offense great field postion all year long. (I wonder if this had anythingto do with their mighty offense in 2005?)
    The reason the offense was mighty is because we weren't one dimensional. Chris Perry if he can stay healthy will remind you of that this season. Any Steeler fan that watched Perry tonight knows what I am talking about.

As for the turnovers, you can keep harping on it all you want but it doesn't make the statement true. The defense still allowed 338.7 Yards Per Game, which was 28th in the NFL. Also they were 22nd scoring defense in the NFL that season. They might have had a lot of turnovers but they also gave up a lot of yards...

[quote=Jom112]
    RUDI JOHNSON

2004 = 1454 YARDS
    2005 = 1458 YARDS
    2006 = 1309 YARDS

So now total yards is your indicator for a good running game? I thought you always used YPC instead? Changing your tune to fit your lame argument MSM?

Rudi Johnson:

Willie Parker:

Bengals overall:

In 2005 we were a good running team. In the first half of the league and look at the results that season. Still not top 5 but we don't need to be. Just as long as we are close to a top 10 running game...

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":3k2jzos2

The reason the offense was mighty is because we weren't one dimensional. Chris Perry if he can stay healthy will remind you of that this season. Any Steeler fan that watched Perry tonight knows what I am talking about.

As for the turnovers, you can keep harping on it all you want but it doesn't make the statement true. The defense still allowed 338.7 Yards Per Game, which was 28th in the NFL. Also they were 22nd scoring defense in the NFL that season. They might have had a lot of turnovers but they also gave up a lot of yards...[/quote:3k2jzos2]

They gave the offense short fields. Also that was the first yr. your offense took the league by surprise. It was studied in the offseason and its failed at the critical points of the games ever since.

Cmon man, Rudi was nearly a 1500 yard back for 2 years straight. 1300 yards in 2006.
    Don't give me this yards per carry stuff after you spent 4 months arguing against that stat. Keep making excuses for Palmer. I watched the game tonight. you have a 7-9 team on your hands. Also Palmer said he played poorly last couple years. He said he had to go work on his fundamentals. His words , not mine. i agree with him. He threw a bad ball last year.

Pro Bowler

[quote=Mr Smartmonies][quote=Jom112]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":uukuldvp
    RUDI JOHNSON

2004 = 1454 YARDS
    2005 = 1458 YARDS
    2006 = 1309 YARDS

Rudi Johnson:

Willie Parker:

Bengals overall:

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":uukuldvp

As for the turnovers, you can keep harping on it all you want but it doesn't make the statement true. The defense still allowed 338.7 Yards Per Game, which was 28th in the NFL. Also they were 22nd scoring defense in the NFL that season. They might have had a lot of turnovers but they also gave up a lot of yards...[/quote:uukuldvp]

They gave the offense short fields. Also that was the first yr. your offense took the league by surprise. It was studied in the offseason and its failed at the critical points of the games ever since.

Cmon man, Rudi was nearly a 1500 yard back for 2 years straight. 1300 yards in 2006.
    Don't give me this yards per carry stuff after you spent 4 months arguing against that stat. Keep making excuses for Palmer. I watched the game tonight. you have a 7-9 team on your hands. Also Palmer said he played poorly last couple years. He said he had to go work on his fundamentals. His words , not mine. i agree with him. He threw a bad ball last year.[/quote:uukuldvp]

Three things:

1. Show me where I have argued against YPC? Since I've been arguing against that stat for 4 months now (Even though I haven't even been on these boards that long), then I'm sure you can find a post where I said YPC doesn't mean much.

2. He played poorly last season, which I have already stated multiple times. Not sure what you're arguing here. Also Ben has made many statements about aspects of the game in which he has been struggling in. He blamed being sacked so many times on himself as well. That's what good QB's do, they take accountability.

3. Field position isn't the reason we did great on offense in 2005, it helped but it doesn't mean anything if your offense can't get the job done. In 2007 I believe the Bears were #1 in Field position, I don't think that got them very far. Also if you want to go down this road, you might want to check out where the Steelers have been ranking in terms of field position the past several years. Something tells me most years they rank fairly high...

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

If Carson Palmer had the steelers running game......

we'd all cheer really loud for Carson...or boo really loud for Willie Parker?

Has Chadman missed something??
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer

The reason the offense was mighty is because we weren't one dimensional. Chris Perry if he can stay healthy will remind you of that this season.

chris perry is still around? he hasnt played in 2 years or so right? i think kenny watson is a pretty good rb. he had a great year last season

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    chris perry is still around? he hasnt played in 2 years or so right? i think kenny watson is a pretty good rb. he had a great year last season
    I see where you're coming from. I have been trying not to get too excited about Perry all offseason because well he's Chris Perry. I just hope that either him or Rudi can regain their 2005 form. Neither RB has been good the past two seasons.

But like I said anyone that saw the game last night, saw what a healthy Chris Perry can do. Preseason or not, the speed with which he hit the hole was something I haven't seen in Cincy in quite a while (3D doesn't count).

As for Watson, I kind of look at him like you guys looked at Davenport last season. Good numbers/production when he was in and made some good plays but overall he's not the answer. I love having him on the depth charts but if he's the primary ball carrier we're going to be in the bottom half of the league rushing wise...