Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    What we do with Batch depends on how Leftwich and Dixon perform. If both play well Batch's days as a Steeler could be numbered.

You bring up something to ponder. If Leftwich is a good fit for our system, he could be a great back-up for the next 6 or so years since he's only 28. Batch is 34 and it's doubtful that he has that kind of time left.

It would be a bittersweet cut. Batch is a great Steeler.
    This is something I have discussed for a couple seasons. Batch is getting up there in age. This might be the right time to find our future #2.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What we do with Batch depends on how Leftwich and Dixon perform. If both play well Batch's days as a Steeler could be numbered.
    Very true... But call me crazy, because I don't see Batch getting cut... Of course, I could be wrong (again... ). ...Either way, we now have several weeks' worth of debate over it till the final cuts.... BTW, can you cut a player that has been injured in some way? (without being responsible for his contract) ...I seem to remember that Bettis "faked" an injury to avoid it, or so it was stated in his book...

Yes Les, it would be a huge gamble. But as I understand it, if it is done this way, we would not be responsible for the entire years' salary.... Anyone else able to shed some light on this possibility?

Legend

User Info Menu

Not smart enough to answer your question, sorry NKy.

I wonder what it was that the FO saw in Leftwitch that they liked more than Cunningham, I mean Culpepper? It could be for reasons as simple as Culpepper's knee is still Silly Putty, or something less tangible, like field vision or presence. I wonder if this is the sort of thing that ever comes out after a while ...

As for Charlie Batch, man that guy deserves something really special from the Steelers. I understand, as he does I'm sure, that business is business (does it bother anyone that this phrase seems to apply as much to the NFL as to Wise Guys?), but there is something more special about him than the typical player that gets cut, he seems to have Steelers and Pittsburgh in his blood. Maybe a coaching job, or something, I hope they find a nice way to thank him.

And I got to tell you, he is one of the oldest looking 34 year olds I've seen that doesn't have a decade or so of street life under their belt. He looks like he's 50 years old, and has for the last 3-4 years!

We love you Charlie!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In recent articles Batch has said that he wasn't worried about his contract status because the Steelers have always re-signed him after he entered free-agency. He also went on to say that he felt he could go on for a few more years depending on how he felt.

That said...I think there's a legitimate concern as to whether or not Batch fits Arian's system, which may factor into the decision. Batch doesn't have the biggest of arms, relying on timing & accuracy instead & we all know that the long ball is a big part of the plan.

What I want to know - & what might be an indicator of the future - how much did Byron get?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Very true... But call me crazy, because I don't see Batch getting cut... Of course, I could be wrong (again... ). ...Either way, we now have several weeks' worth of debate over it till the final cuts.... BTW, can you cut a player that has been injured in some way? (without being responsible for his contract) ...I seem to remember that Bettis "faked" an injury to avoid it, or so it was stated in his book...

Yes Les, it would be a huge gamble. But as I understand it, if it is done this way, we would not be responsible for the entire years' salary.... Anyone else able to shed some light on this possibility?
    If Leftwich can prove to be a quick study...and solidifies #2 I don't see the Steelers keeping a 33 y/o #3 QB. I certainly could be wrong but the #3 should be reserved to groom a QB IMO. It will be a different story if Dixon shows he can't cut it...or Leftwich can't pick up the O quick enough.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Oh boy.I can just imagine the posts over at the trib the minute Ben has a bad game."Let the QB controversy begin......"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is very interesting.

My guess is that Batch starts the season on PUP.

I don't think they will take a chance with Dixon getting to the PS. I think he stays as 3rd QB or slash-type.

I could see them placing Batch on IR if Lefty is looking good in camp/preseason/practice.

Otherwise, they cut Lefty and activate Batch.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman loves Charlie Batch as a player, but.....

If Ben was to, God forbid, go down hurt- who gives the Steelers a better chance to win as a QB- Leftwich or Batch? Chadman would pick Leftwich every time.

That leaves the 3rd QB spot open- who do you pick? The 33 year old, nearly done QB in Batch, or the promising rookie in Dixon? Chadman would pick Dixon.

Sorry Charlie. Sometimes bad luck strikes right when you don't need it to.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    Hope he passed the running test.
    Better yet hope he's learned how to run period.
    They signed him to fill in for Batch. While Leftwich is slow, it's not like Charlie Batch was ever a threat to run.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Chadman loves Charlie Batch as a player, but.....

If Ben was to, God forbid, go down hurt- who gives the Steelers a better chance to win as a QB- Leftwich or Batch? Chadman would pick Leftwich every time.

That leaves the 3rd QB spot open- who do you pick? The 33 year old, nearly done QB in Batch, or the promising rookie in Dixon? Chadman would pick Dixon.

Sorry Charlie. Sometimes bad luck strikes right when you don't need it to.
    The fact that Batch brought this injury on himself by not ducking his shoulder, is like salt in the wound if he were to get cut.....