Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Sorry Charlie. Sometimes bad luck strikes right when you don't need it to.
    That is almost poetic.... Why do I have a craving for a tuna sandwich now?!....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Word is that Leftwich was well-liked by teammates, though he apparently had conflict with the head coach in Jax (not sure of the particulars). He does have a cannon arm and a rep as a gutsy player.

Culpepper has a rep for problems with some teammates and coaches, and then there is the Love Boat matter in his history (would the 3 rivers be safe?).

Leftwich is the better option by a big margin. My2cts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like the signing! I think the Steelers may carry 4 QB's initially but I think a decision will have to be made eventually who to keep and who needs to go. I think this may eventually mean the end of Charlie Batch with the team and that is tough for him personally. From the team's aspect I think it kinda forced the hand of the team to make a tough decision but is better for the team in the long run. Charlie hasn't been sharp for a while now and he looked terrible the other night. I don't know if Leftwich will be any better but he is a younger option that will give the team more of a future than a 34 year old can.

I also really like the Berger signing! I was not impressed with Ernster at all on Friday! Besides why do we need another Browns castoff anyways!!

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    I like the signing! I think the Steelers may carry 4 QB's initially but I think a decision will have to be made eventually who to keep and who needs to go. I think this may eventually mean the end of Charlie Batch with the team and that is tough for him personally. From the team's aspect I think it kinda forced the hand of the team to make a tough decision but is better for the team in the long run. Charlie hasn't been sharp for a while now and he looked terrible the other night. I don't know if Leftwich will be any better but he is a younger option that will give the team more of a future than a 34 year old can.

I also really like the Berger signing! I was not impressed with Ernster at all on Friday! Besides why do we need another Browns castoff anyways!!

OK, I gotta ask... What about Earnster didn't impress you... He averaged 42 yds/punt... Sup avgd' 42.9 last season. Earnster did land one inside the 20, but one went out at the 21... And he had one kickoff banged out of the endzone. ... Yes, he was somewhat "inconsistent" on his several attempts, but not that bad.... What were you not impressed about, considering we are going to a scrub that isn't on another team?... Seriously, just curious...

Also have to ask where you would personally make the cut to carry 4 qbs (the spot has to come from somewhere)... I could see it if Dixon would take some other role, but we haven't seen that in camp yet... But I really am curious as to what Batch has done to look "not sharp for a while"... Seriously. He gets the job done when called for, or at least I thought... What do you see differently?...

Man, 'ya gotta love this time of year!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Chadman loves Charlie Batch as a player, but.....

If Ben was to, God forbid, go down hurt- who gives the Steelers a better chance to win as a QB- Leftwich or Batch? Chadman would pick Leftwich every time.

That leaves the 3rd QB spot open- who do you pick? The 33 year old, nearly done QB in Batch, or the promising rookie in Dixon? Chadman would pick Dixon.

Sorry Charlie. Sometimes bad luck strikes right when you don't need it to.
    Me and the Chadman see eye to eye on this one.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    What we do with Batch depends on how Leftwich and Dixon perform. If both play well Batch's days as a Steeler could be numbered.
    I would hate to see that personally. Batch has proven himself very capable when called upon and 34 is still very young for a guy who rarely sees the field. While I don't live in the Pittsburgh area, I'm also fully aware of the type of ambassador he is for this team in the community.

If (and yes it's definitely an if) Dixon is to ever ascend to the number two spot, it will be in a couple of years, not six or seven, or how many we might project a guy like Leftwich to be around. Besides, I can practically garantee that Byron is looking for a paycheck in '08 (and maybe a ring), then he'll be out looking for a starting job next season...Batch is very content where he's at. While it's rare in this business, I also believe very strongly in loyalty and we owe that to Charlie.

The question comes down to keeping four quarterbacks, placing Dixon on the practice squad, or hitting the eject button on Leftwich when Batch comes back. I really don't like the idea of cutting leftwich before the first game and resigning him afterwards...simply unethical. If I'm management, I swallow the whole salary and explain to Fat Albert that once Batch comes back he gets the ol' heave ho and a nice golden parachute. I would also place Batch on the PUP list, and let him fully heal for the next 10 weeks. It's the honorable thing to do and the smart thing to do when you consider the ability Charlie has and the potential loss of Dixon.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I like the signing! I think the Steelers may carry 4 QB's initially but I think a decision will have to be made eventually who to keep and who needs to go. I think this may eventually mean the end of Charlie Batch with the team and that is tough for him personally. From the team's aspect I think it kinda forced the hand of the team to make a tough decision but is better for the team in the long run. Charlie hasn't been sharp for a while now [/color]and he looked terrible the other night. I don't know if Leftwich will be any better but he is a younger option that will give the team more of a future than a 34 year old can.

OK, I gotta ask... What about Earnster didn't impress you... He averaged 42 yds/punt... Sup avgd' 42.9 last season. Earnster did land one inside the 20, but one went out at the 21... And he had one kickoff banged out of the endzone. ... Yes, he was somewhat "inconsistent" on his several attempts, but not that bad.... What were you not impressed about, considering we are going to a scrub that isn't on another team?... Seriously, just curious...

Also have to ask where you would personally make the cut to carry 4 qbs (the spot has to come from somewhere)... I could see it if Dixon would take some other role, but we haven't seen that in camp yet... But I really am curious as to what Batch has done to look "not sharp for a while"... Seriously. He gets the job done when called for, or at least I thought... What do you see differently?...

Man, 'ya gotta love this time of year!!!!!
    The thing that bugs me about Ernster is the inconsistency. One of my main problems with Josh Miller all those years was he would have a great kick for 60 some yards and then have three below average kicks but his average would be skewed b/c of the good one. I don't want to have a punter on this team that is not consistent especially in the clutch. If there was one thing that people complained about with Sep is that he would not show up under pressure last year. When the team needed a big punt he would fall out. The one punt that went out at the 21 was a terrible kick then he put one through the end zone on another. Its just a personal preference I guess. Plus after what happened last year week one with Ernster, I am personally kind of scared of him.

Batch was terrible the other night, so maybe I just overstated for a while, sorry about that. The pass, maybe his first, to Willie Reid over the middle was one of the worst passes I have ever seen. He passed into double coverage and behind Willie at the same time. I don't know? I have always liked Charlie but I just don't see the same player he was a couple of years ago. I just see don't see him being able to lead the team in the long run if we did lose Ben for an extended period of time. I would much rather have someone else.

My roster would consist of:

4 QB's
    5 RB's
    5 WR's
    3 TE's
    10 OL's
    6 DL's
    8 LB's
    9 DB's
    2 K's
    1 LS

This is my favorite time of year. For someone that works from home it is great to be able to watch all these games on NFLN.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Question: .... Will The game Thursday against Buffalo be on NFLN live?.....
    (I'll be out of town, so this could be important to me...)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The game will be on at midnight, so not too bad! If you can stay up that late I guess. I will be going to the Buccos game that night and to watch REO Speedwagon, no jokes please, not my choice, LOL! So I will get home just in time for the game at midnight!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The game will be on at midnight, so not too bad! If you can stay up that late I guess. I will be going to the Buccos game that night and to watch REO Speedwagon, no jokes please, not my choice, LOL! So I will get home just in time for the game at midnight!
    Hey I love REO... Saw them w/ Styx here in Cincy... Just looking for an avenue to catch the game on Thur. ... Will be out of town on vacation and off the board... Midnight is a little late to take the kids to the bar (just kidding.... ). ... Gotta check if they will be carrying the game in some way (Steelers Bar in Myrtle...).