Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

And a "no go" for Culpepper.....
    -----------------------------------------------
    Steelers sign backup QB Byron Leftwich
    By The Tribune-Review
    Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Steelers, in need of a veteran backup quarterback after an injury to Charlie Batch, signed former Jacksonville Jaguars starter Byron Leftwich on Sunday.

Batch, who suffered a broken right collarbone in Friday night's exhibition opener vs. the Philadelphia Eagles, is expected to miss four to six weeks. The Steelers' first regular-season game is Sept. 7 against the Houston Texans.

Leftwich, 28, was cut by the Jaguars prior to last season. He was picked up by the Atlanta Falcons and appeared in three games.

Before signing Leftwich, the Steelers had only a pair of rookies - Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts - available to back up starter Ben Roethlisberger.

Leftwich signs as backup Steelers quarterback
    Sunday, August 10, 2008
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed Byron Leftwich to be their backup quarterback, choosing him over Daunte Culpepper after bringing both veteran quarterbacks to training camp today.

Leftwich (6-5, 242) and Culpepper (6-4, 260) each passed physicals in Pittsburgh this morning and reported to training camp in Latrobe for individual workouts while the Steelers debated which quarterback to sign.

The move to sign Leftwich, a former No. 1 pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars, was necessitated when Charlie Batch, 33, broke his right collarbone in Friday night's preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, a 16-13 victory.

Batch will have surgery tomorrow that will keep him out a minimum six weeks.

Also, nose tackle Casey Hampton was taken off the physically unable to perform list today and joined his teammates for his first practice since reporting to training camp 40 pounds overweight.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Official news confirms Leftwich signed...

So, if Batch is all healed up in 4-6 weeks and performing like nothing ever happened, what's the pecking order at the QB position?

Ben, Batch, Leftwich?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    So, if Batch is all healed up in 4-6 weeks and performing like nothing ever happened, what's the pecking order at the QB position?

Ben, Batch, Leftwich?
    I would guess so... But like I was saying last night, I don't know what sort of pain would be involved in throwing during the healing process... Someone also mentioned that they could drop the qb (Leftwich) for the first week, then re-sign him so as to avoid paying the entire season of salary. (It would be a gamble, and don't know if this is true, but that could signify that they expect Batch to be alright sooner rather than later...)

Legend

User Info Menu

That was my question how long is he with the team? do they let him go when Batch is back or is this the end for Batch?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

BIG FAN

Hope he passed the running test.
    Better yet hope he's learned how to run period.

Legend

User Info Menu

Living 20 miles from where Byron played college ball (Marshall U.), I followed Byron extensively. He is slow by any means, but has an absolute cannon for an arm. I don't think this is a bad pickup for us, but I am a little biased. I guess alot will depend on how quick he absorbs a new offense.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

Ben, Batch, Leftwich?
    I would guess so... But like I was saying last night, I don't know what sort of pain would be involved in throwing during the healing process... Someone also mentioned that they could drop the qb (Leftwich) for the first week, then re-sign him so as to avoid paying the entire season of salary. (It would be a gamble, and don't know if this is true, but that could signify that they expect Batch to be alright sooner rather than later...)
    It sounds like it could be a gamble. I guess it depends on how much we signed him for, and how much the Steelers could save by cutting him and resigning him. If another team has a QB go out and Batch isn't up to snuff come week #1, then the Steelers wouldn't do this. Should be an interesting next few weeks.......

Legend

User Info Menu

What we do with Batch depends on how Leftwich and Dixon perform. If both play well Batch's days as a Steeler could be numbered.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Living 20 miles from where Byron played college ball (Marshall U.), I followed Byron extensively. He is slow by any means, but has an absolute cannon for an arm. I don't think this is a bad pickup for us, but I am a little biased. I guess alot will depend on how quick he absorbs a new offense.
    He's not that far removed from his Jaguars days. Maybe he can provide some insight that can be useful to our gameplan the week we play Jacksonville???

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    What we do with Batch depends on how Leftwich and Dixon perform. If both play well Batch's days as a Steeler could be numbered.

You bring up something to ponder. If Leftwich is a good fit for our system, he could be a great back-up for the next 6 or so years since he's only 28. Batch is 34 and it's doubtful that he has that kind of time left.

It would be a bittersweet cut. Batch is a great Steeler.