Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a Steelers fan ...

Pro Bowler

As a Steelers fan ...

is a championship all that matters to you?

Hall of Famer

Re: As a Steelers fan ...

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    no but it matters a hell of a lot. the class that the organization has means more than sb's. i love that the steelers wont go out and get trash like pac man jones, chris henry, to, and moss. i love that the steelers put so much emphasis on the character of their players. but winning sb's is extremely important. im sure if the steelers were not a succesfull franchise then i wouldnt care as much as far as what players they have

Hall of Famer

For me..... NO. ... Of course, it is always the goal, but there is much more that I enjoy about being a Steeler fan and look for each season... I want to see a highly competitive team on a yearly basis with consistency. I want to see a team free of negative publicity and news reports. I want to see a team that exudes "class" on and off the field. I want to see our players taking action within the community. I want to see a team that cares about the "greater good" instead of personal goals while competing each season, and not "spouting off" about it. ... As a Steeler fan, I want to see other fans acting with respect towards others. I want to see the fans acting with passion and knowledge. I want to see tradition upheld.

...So no, a championship is not all that matters to me. But it is definitely the "icing on the cake"...

Uncle Rico

Championships are always great but there's a lot of other team accomplishments that matter a lot to me. In particular, beating the Stains twice a year is something that I take great pleasure in even if it happens in a season when they don't make the playoffs. I'd also like to see the Steelers sweep the division and maybe even go undefeated at home some season. Those are just a few things that come to mind.

Legend

I'm happy if they're competitive and have a chance. Of course that doesn't mean I'm satisfied. There's a difference between being happy and being satisified.

I'm also happy you put "Steelers fan" in the subject. It drives me crazy when a team's name ends in "s" but people leave the s off when inappropriate to do so.

That "You're in Steeler Country" sign has bugged the crap out of me for years...it should be "Steelers" country!

Steely76

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I want to see our players taking action within the community.
    You can't really expect them to show up in Kentucky? :P

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    You can't really expect them to show up in Kentucky? :P
    .... There would be nothing to do for them here except teach people how to tie thier shoes (we don't wear 'em here, 'ya know...)....

But yor hear about Ben and the "make a wish" thing... Batch runs camps, as do others... That's just off the top of my head, but you get the point...

Sure, other teams do the same thing, but these guys don't HAVE to... And that's good.

Great comments by everyone and I agree with all that was stated. I would add that probably aside from the pride I take from the "Steeler way" would be going home a winner on Sundays (or whenever we play). Sure it has to do with being competitive each year, but there hasn't been a team in my lifetime that could put a smile on my face each week more than the Black-n-Gold. Sure the Dolphins have 12 more wins than us since the 1970 merger (354-341), but in my adult life where I get hammered each week watching the games and live or die by the success of our team, no one has been better.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

I don’t necessarily mind when the Steelers miss the opportunity to compete for the championship; over the years I have come to realize that there are so many other variables involved in the “Steeler fan” equation. I do have a problem when the team losses playoff games that they should have won.

BIG FAN

Sure, the Superbowl victories are awesome, but we have been very lucky as Steelers fans that our team has realistically had their shots at it more so than anybody else. So in that aspect I am very pleased we field a competitive team. Are the championships the most important thing? No.
    As stated already, the entire organization and it value of character means more to me as well.