Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice to see Parker on the Edge

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice to see Parker on the Edge

I give Bruce Arians a lot of crap for the way he handled the offense last season and despite the wretched play-calling late in last night's game (the goal-to-go end around & fake end around), I need to give him some props. Last season he continually banged Parker between the tackles and made very little effort to get him outside, where we all know he plays his game. Although it was only three carries, it seems that he was looking to get Willie on the edge and take advantage of his speed. Mendenhall also looked good hitting the corner, but I hope we'll see more of a mix with him getting the bulk of the inside carries and Parker getting more off-tackle plays. If Arians keeps this up and mixes in more of the no-huddle and quick passing attack, we will be devastingly explosive and I will be the first in line to give him credit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Nice to see Parker on the Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    I give Bruce Arians a lot of crap for the way he handled the offense last season and despite the wretched play-calling late in last night's game (the goal-to-go end around & fake end around), I need to give him some props. Last season he continually banged Parker between the tackles and made very little effort to get him outside, where we all know he plays his game. Although it was only three carries, it seems that he was looking to get Willie on the edge and take advantage of his speed. Mendenhall also looked good hitting the corner, but I hope we'll see more of a mix with him getting the bulk of the inside carries and Parker getting more off-tackle plays. If Arians keeps this up and mixes in more of the no-huddle and quick passing attack, we will be devastingly explosive and I will be the first in line to give him credit.
    It will be nice if whoever turns out to be our 2nd back can do two things well - go up the middle hard, and also give good pass protection. That way opposing defenses will have to respect the middle, and the pass, even if FWP is on the field. That in turn would give him a better chance to turn the corner and break the big one.

Right now (I mean last season) it seemed to me that defenses could cheat to the corner/the edge, knowing that their front four would blow up our middle. Remember how many times FWP got hit almost before he got the ball?

Of course a good Steeler O-line would go a long way towards FWP having an awesome season, but that isn't exactly news ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fla, I am right there with you about Arians... I am definitely not a fan of his work as you know, but will GLADLY eat crow, admit I was wrong, and give him big props if in fact it works out that way... Yes, I was pleased with the way our "skilled position" players on offense started the game. Parker and Mendy looked good coming out of the backfield. Ben and Santonio looked sharp. But it was just too short of a view for me to guage it just yet... But a very promising start nonetheless... ... I will say that I was not impressed with our weak secondary at all, but it is still very early (gotta get the pads set) and the rest of the unit looked great. But hey, that's just my take on it....

Legend

User Info Menu

Parker did look good...I would love to see sets with both Parker and Mendenhall in the backfield on running downs.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Parker did look good...I would love to see sets with both Parker and Mendenhall in the backfield on running downs.
    We have to do that in my opinion to keep 'em guessing on defense. I mean I'm obviously not looking to run Willie exclusively to the outside and Mendenhall inside, but tendencies may develop and teams may start to pick up on cues which allows them to cheat their linebackers or safties in our single back sets. This helps maintain the element of surprise and gives us a lot of versatility in where we can go with the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    We have to do that in my opinion to keep 'em guessing on defense. I mean I'm obviously not looking to run Willie exclusively to the outside and Mendenhall inside, but tendencies may develop and teams may start to pick up on cues which allows them to cheat their linebackers or safties in our single back sets. This helps maintain the element of surprise and gives us a lot of versatility in where we can go with the ball.
    This might be WAY out there...and I admit I might be on the crack but did you see Miller motion into the backfield last night? He then blew a defender up springing a nice run playing as the FB. This is something I discussed a couple weeks ago. I would like to take it a step further. Think about Miller occasionally motioning into the back field with Mendenhall and Parker in. Yes, I just suggested a wishbone set with our star TE playing FB. This allows ALOT of versatility and we wouldn't sacrifice blocking by not having a true FB in the backfield. I could see Ariens sprinkling a bit of this in the game plan. Remember where you heard it first.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Typical fan who complains about the Offensive coordinator. When does it end?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies

I have just been on the trib live board and seen how infantile and juvenile it can be, particularly in terms of stupid never ending arguments between people. The one that actually caught my eye was between SM and FLSteel, it was like the Hatfields and McCoys over there between these two, one thread went on for two pages without a single Steeler related post, just the two of them arguing about who makes more money and stuff like that. I was actually thinking when I was over there how nice it was that this board is so free of such cr*p.

Then I see what seems like SM stalking FlaSteel, trailing him from the trib board to this one to make a post that is not about the steelers, but a continuation of personal attacks.

I don't know who "started" it over on the trib board, but please do NOT bring it over here.

OK, that's my , I am now assuming the position , ready to be castigated for acting like a wanna be police man. Just don't f* up this board like that other one turned in to.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

I have just been on the trib live board and seen how infantile and juvenile it can be, particularly in terms of stupid never ending arguments between people. I was actually thinking when was over there how nice it was that this board is so free of such cr*p.

Then I see what seems like SM stalking FlaSteel, trailing him from the trib board to this one to make a post that is not about the steelers, but a continuation of personal attacks.

I don't know who "started" it over on the trib board, but please do NOT bring it over here.

OK, that's my , I am now assuming the position , ready to be castigated for trying to be a wanna be police man. Just don't f* up this board like that other one turned in to.
    Good points brother and I will do my job to keep this a sanctuary free of personal BS (although I have stumbled in the past a little )

As far as Arians, I think we can reserve the right to be critical, especially if there is a certain amount of knowledge to back any opinions up, but it doesn't mean that we're trying to imply we know more about the game than an NFL OC. I'm also giving the guy some props here and not trying to be negative.

Despite what took place last year, I've maintained that Arians deserves a chance to redeem himself (in my mind it's redemption anyway) and there are several things he can do to achieve that. Using Parker and Mendenhall to their strengths is a great start in that direction.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

I have just been on the trib live board and seen how infantile and juvenile it can be, particularly in terms of stupid never ending arguments between people. The one that actually caught my eye was between SM and FLSteel, it was like the Hatfields and McCoys over there between these two, one thread went on for two pages without a single Steeler related post, just the two of them arguing about who makes more money and stuff like that. I was actually thinking when I was over there how nice it was that this board is so free of such cr*p.

OK, that's my , I am now assuming the position , ready to be castigated for acting like a wanna be police man. Just don't f* up this board like that other one turned in to.
    Flasteel has had an agenda from day 1. If I were to post all of the threads were he has come out of nowhere to attack me personally, then you would understand. He once had a radio show and it got cancelled. So he attacks me because I have one.