Dekker-can't block or catch-Cody Boyd needs to get well soon
    Parquet-poor performance
    Potts-see ya later
    Bloom-see ya later
    Tyrone Carter-underwhelming
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Bob

Re: Positives and Negatives-Who helped themselves and who didn't

I though Fox played well and was in good position all night. Davis had his moments as well.

Timmons played well IMO also.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Just what I noticed

Positives:
    Mendehall-as good as advertised
    Russell-I didn't see a single play where one Eagles could bring him down
    Sweed=looks to be the real deal
    Humpal-looks to have potential
    Mundy-looked good until hurt
    Dixon-looked decent, but needs to improve passing

Negatives:
    Dekker-can't block or catch-Cody Boyd needs to get well soon
    Parquet-poor performance
    Potts-see ya later
    Bloom-see ya later
    Tyrone Carter-underwhelming

I would be thrilled if our backfield was comprised of the "Dirty Thirties" [39, 34, 33, and 38]. Davis' blocking was good, Willie looked great coming off a leg injury, Mendenhall was great. He showed patience in blocking development and the speed and power to blast through the holes created, not to mention the field of vision to bounce it to the outside when the holes weren't there. I will have to go with SMG on the opinion that Gary Russell would more than fill the void as our short yardage back. He did well running North/South and didn't try to get cute.

As for the rest, Fox and Davis in our LB tier were notables and should earn spots. Whoever said that Bloom could be our version of Wes Welker was smoking some serious wacky-weed... the guy sucks. I thought Mewelde Moore did well for himself. Eason played well last night in Big Snack's stead. I think our secondary needs to play more physical. Sweed will be monstrous for us this season and will really solidify our receiving corps. Dekker absolutely sucks, bu-bye for this guy. These are just some of my observations.... more to come as our pre-season progresses.

Starter

User Info Menu

I was really interested in how Mendenhall, Sweed and Parker would perform, so far so good. A glimpse of Dixon’s potential, but Bloom needs to improve ASAP or turn in his playbook.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Timmons was awesome, his closing speed is just awesome. I thought he did well in coverage too. He should turn out to be a fine LB.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the RBs as a whole had good games. Dixon showed flashes and will get better. Woodley was everywhere. Farrior played tough. Holmes makes scoring look easy.

Hill...wow was he bad last night. Another OL flop? I really hope not.

Humpel was very good.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was impressed by Timmons & Woodley. Timmons is so fast, he will be a difference maker for this team this year. No one can block Woodley consistently one on one, he was frustrating Runyan so bad last night that he tripped him on purpose. Bruce Davis at the end of the game was in King Dunlap's head. I could see the frustration b/c Dunlap may have just seen his NFL days go bye bye. That tells me that Davis has some real talent at getting to the QB.

I was impressed with Reffett's effort last night. The guy seemed to be around the play alot. I liked what I saw out of McBean too. He showed real nice hustle getting down the field on the one pass play. I did not see him get pushed around like last year. I thought Ryan Mundy and Travis Williams played well last night as well.

I thought Dixon showed some nice potential but has a ways to go. Mendenhall showed some serious potential. This kid really has a chance to be a star. Sweed showed some nice hands but needs to improve his route running.

Tyrone Carter needs to be cut, this guy cost the team the playoff game and he is just not capable of making plays, he needs to go. Nick Eason is terrible at the POA, but I think he might stick around b/c Clement and Prince showed nothing last night. I thought Hills looked okay in the run game but he needs a year or two to get that pass blocking up to par. He might end up on the practice squad for a year. Bloom should be cut now, he is not a football player. I thought Ernster was very incosistent last night and needs to get better to stick with a playoff caliber team.

Just my !

All in all it was a good first night. There is still alot of work to do, but it was a better start than the last few years so I will take it!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Starter

User Info Menu

Good
    Medenhaul- looked good
    Carey Davis- looked good (even in a single back set!)
    Sweed- was impressive with 3 tough receptions
    Woodley- looked good pass rushing against one of the best RT's in the NFL but needs to improve against the run
    Kemo- looked solid
    Russel- very good inside runner (as pimped by SMG)
    Timmons- looked good against the Eagles 1st team but didn't stand out IMO against their 2nd and 3rd stringers
    Vincent- (RB) never heard of him but looked impressive against Eagle's 3rd team D
    Dixon- looked very good for a guy that hasn't played for quite some time and in 1st NFL game
    Paxon- looked solid stuffing the middle, possible future backup NT
    Eason- again looks good in preseason, why does he suck when it counts?

Bad
    Hills- looked bad but McDougle also made Starks look silly on the other side
    Bloom- gone
    Dekker- sucks
    Lentz- guard, looked like a fish out of water
    Essex- didn't show much and was penalized

Another AS masterpiece.

BIG FAN

I was pleased to see Mendenhall take that big hit and get right up afterwards, good tough young runner. Same for Sweed, upended on his first catch, bounced right back up.
    Thought, Russell showed some football moxie as well. (That specifically for SMG.)
    Dixon needs a lot of polishing, but looks like he has the makings of a adequate QB down the road. Fox seemed to show well and looked like he took advantage of his playing time.
    Bloom looks like a legitimate bust. Davis looked like he was blocking better as well.
    Loved seeing FWP come out strong. Wished they would have passed a little more, but the ground game looked o.k. overall. Too bad for Batch, but I wasn't all that impressed when he took over, it seemed like the drop off was significant to say the least.

Legend

User Info Menu

Russell gettin some love.

Trolls are people too.