Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Official Gameday Thread": Eagles v Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"Official Gameday Thread": Eagles v Steelers

It's Baaaaaaack!!!!

For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Gameday Thread can be used for play-by-play, comments, and complaining (if necessary) about the game tonight. One location for discussion about the game, then it fades away...

I was talking about this with a "respected board member" the other day, and I'm not sure if we have a high enough volume of traffic on this board to make it what it was before. Especially for the first pre-season game. But here it goes, and we'll see what happens...

Let's start by listing the stats on tonights' game:
    Pittsburgh Steelers (0-0) vs. Philadelphia Eagles (0-0)
    Date: Friday, Aug. 8, 2008
    Kickoff: 7:30 p.m., ET
    Site: Heinz Field (65,050) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Playing Surface: Grass/DD Grassmaster
    TV Coverage: KDKA-TV (channel 2) FSN Pittsburgh (simulcast)
    Announcers: Bob Pompeani (play-by-play) Edmund Nelson (color analyst) Jeff Verszyla (sideline)
    Local Radio: Steelers Radio Network WDVE-FM (102.5)/WBGG-AM (970)
    Announcers: Bill Hillgrove (play-by-play) Tunch Ilkin (color analyst) Craig Wolfley (sideline)

A Look at the Coaches:
    Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin
    Overall Regular-season Record: 10-6 (.625)/second season
    Regular-season Record at Pittsburgh: 10-6 (.625)/second season
    Playoff Record/Years: 0-1/one year

Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid
    Overall Regular-season Record: 88-56 (.611)/ninth season
    Regular-season Record at Philadelphia: 88-56 (.611)/ninth season
    Playoff Record/Years: 8-6/six years

Series History: Series began in 1933
    Overall: Philadelphia leads 46-26-3
    At Pittsburgh: Philadelphia leads 19-17-1
    At Philadelphia: Philadelphia leads 25-8-2

Neutral Sites: Philadelphia leads 2-1
    Last Regular-Season Meeting: Nov. 7, 2004 (in Pittsburgh)
    Pittsburgh 27, Philadelphia 3
    Postseason Series: Philadelphia leads 1-0
    Preseason: Pittsburgh leads 13-10
    (preseason record not included in overall series record)

Pittsburgh is 13-10 all-time in the preseason versus the Philadelphia Eagles...this marks the sixth straight year in which the Steelers and Eagles have met in the preseason...the Steelers are 26-46-3 all-time in the regular season against Philadelphia...the two teams will meet in Week 3 of the regular season this year in Philadelphia...the Steelers have lost their past eight games in the city of Philadelphia dating back to the 1966 season...Pittsburgh’s last win in Philadelphia occurred on Oct. 24, 1965 (20-14)...the Steelers Mike Tomlin has never faced Philadelphia in the regular season...Pittsburgh won the most recent meeting between the two teams, 27-3, on Nov. 7, 2004 at Heinz Field...in that game WR Hines Ward caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from QB Ben Roethlisberger and ran 16 yards for his first and only career rushing touchdown as the Steelers raced out to a 21-0 first half lead on their way to an upset of the previously undefeated Eagles...the Steelers also held Eagles QB Donovan McNabb to only 109 yards passing (15-of-24) and intercepted him one time...the Eagles won the previous meeting in Philadelphia between the two teams, 23-20, on Nov. 23, 1997.

Steelers-Eagles Connections: Several Steelers have ties to the Eagles and the Philadelphia area. Steelers with ties to the Eagles and Philadelphia include DT Scott Paxson, who is from Philadelphia. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who was the head coach at Temple from 1983-88. Assistant special teams coach Amos Jones served on Arians’ staff at Temple from 1983-88. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau began his pro coaching career with the Eagles (1973-75). Defensive line coach John Mitchell coached at Temple under Arians in 1986. Eagles with connections to Pittsburgh include TE Kris Wilson and OG Mike McGlynn, who both attended Pitt. RB Tony Hunt played at Penn State. Eagles wide receivers coach David Culley coached the Steelers wide receivers from 1996-98, just prior to joining Philadelphia. Special teams quality control coach Jeff Nixon was born in Rochester, Pa. and played at both West Virginia and Penn State. He also coached at Penn State (1997) and Shippensburg (1999-2002). Defensive assistant/quality control coach Bill Shuey attended Slippery Rock while offensive assistant/quality controlcoach James Urban coached at Clarion for two years (1997-9.Strength and conditioning coach Mike Wolf played center for PennState and coached there in 1991. Offensive assistant Mark Whipple was the Steelers’ QB coach from 2004-06.

...I sent Rick a PM about doing this several days ago, but as of 4:30 he still hadn't been on-line. If he shows up, you'll see how it's REALLY done...

...I figured why not start it early, and get a little "pre-season" tailgating in!......

...Soooo, any last-minute expectations for tonight?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: "Official Gameday Thread": Eagles v Steelers

Mendenhall will bust the century mark with extensive action in the first three quarters.

2 hours 35 minutes!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fla, we all know that Mendy will get his yards, but I'm not sure if he'll play that much so as to get 100+.... Russell and Davis may get more of a workout.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Damn!... I had to look around and see where this went!....

J, I wouldn't necessarily "stickie" this thread... If it's not popular, it will just fade away... And will be able to do so after the game either way.

...Got my food cooked (and eaten), now it's just Pre-game action!.... I'm actually interested in seeing how Dixon looks tonight!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We should explore a gameday chat box too during the preseason as a test to see how it works. It will save performance on the server and will be real time. Just throwing this out there again. 2.5 hours left!

ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    We should explore a gameday chat box too during the preseason as a test to see how it works. It will save performance on the server and will be real time. Just throwing this out there again. 2.5 hours left!

stanz, it may work... I tried it a bit over at TL... But the big advantage is that it's listed on the board so as to see any other threads popping up without changing locations....

... So you're finally gonna try the "gameday" bit tonight?.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

stanz, it may work... I tried it a bit over at TL... But the big advantage is that it's listed on the board so as to see any other threads popping up without changing locations....

I might. I mean I have to reprogram my brain to do it. I rarely ever sit down during a Steelers game and usually tend to run into the living room when a good play happens ( don't ask me why, it just happens) or I quickly walk into the backyard to release a series of motherf'rs so the kids won't drop their jaws. I'll check it out during the game today to see the flow.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

stanz, the key is to have a laptop and sit in front of the tv......
    ...It's actually a bit "addictive" when there are several folks posting at the same time! Not sure how the flow will go tonight, as I said....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

I might. I mean I have to reprogram my brain to do it. I rarely ever sit down during a Steelers game and usually tend to run into the living room when a good play happens ( don't ask me why, it just happens) or I quickly walk into the backyard to release a series of motherf'rs so the kids won't drop their jaws. I'll check it out during the game today to see the flow.
    Pepsi, meet keyboard. Don't know why that made me laugh, but it did.

As for the board, tonight may be a good dry-run for how it's going to be in here for the regular season. i was thinking that business will pick up once the season starts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    As for the board, tonight may be a good dry-run for how it's going to be in here for the regular season. i was thinking that business will pick up once the season starts.
    Yea.... Pre-season may be a bit slow. Especially the first game.