Thread: Compared to other team websites

Legend

Compared to other team websites

does the Steelers team board seem rather simplistic looking...almost "dated"?

Granted some teams seem to go overboard with what they do (way too much flash, etc) but to me the Steelers board looks like something slapped together by a beginner.

Am I the only one who thinks that?

Re: Compared to other team boards

Those cheapskate Rooneys are no doubt to blame for this.

Seriously, the look and feel of the site is pretty simple. But it has the best characteristic of any successful website..... easy navigation. I have no issue with its functionality, but you are right.... the site does seem dated.

Legend

I'd like it to be at least a little more stylized without becoming overly complicated.

Legend

http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Here's an example. Nice, clean, modern look.

The webmaster of the Steelers board could start by losing the "steel" from the page. Seriously, it just looks cheezy. One of the most popular teams in the NFL should have a sharper looking page.

Use the Steelers primary colors for the main color scheme with the other colors to accent.

I think I'm going to email the webmaster when I have a chance and see if I get a response.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

The webmaster of the Steelers board could start by losing the "steel" from the page. Seriously, it just looks cheezy. One of the most popular teams in the NFL should have a sharper looking page.

Use the Steelers primary colors for the main color scheme with the other colors to accent.

I think I'm going to email the webmaster when I have a chance and see if I get a response.
    I actually like the diamond plate background.

But I'll agree that the site is pretty simplistic and that's what I like about it. As an engineer, I've formed my design philosophy based on the Da Vinci quote - "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I work with guys who create complicated (and expensive) designs and they actually believe it makes them better engineers. In reality its much more difficult to create a simple (less expensive) design that performs at the same level.

Backup

does the Steelers team board seem rather simplistic looking...almost "dated"?

Granted some teams seem to go overboard with what they do (way too much flash, etc) but to me the Steelers board looks like something slapped together by a beginner.

Am I the only one who thinks that?

I've always thought that it left alot to be desired. I may be crucified for saying this, but I kinda like the Browns' site. Alot of interesting information, photos and graphics. Steelers.com needs to be updated badly.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I'm surprised that the NFL doesn't have one consistent template that is used across all teams. The NHL did this last season.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Starter

the steelers team site is pathetic...

it was outdated 2-3 years ago... and hasn't really changed since.

i'm of the impression that the rooneys... who do not seem to be on the forefront of ground breaking marketing strategies... (not counting steeley mcbeam ) do not consider the internet a viable marketing tool.

why else would they have the most lame site in the league?? (go to nfl.com from there you can get to every team's official site... judge for yourself.)

F that ish...the Steelers are hardcore...old school. We don't need no foo foo, fluffy tech geek BS. Our website should be like our home field. Rough, nasty, a place no one wants to visit. You guys have gone soft on me.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

I actually like the diamond plate background.

But I'll agree that the site is pretty simplistic and that's what I like about it. As an engineer, I've formed my design philosophy based on the Da Vinci quote - "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I work with guys who create complicated (and expensive) designs and they actually believe it makes them better engineers. In reality its much more difficult to create a simple (less expensive) design that performs at the same level.
    Diamond plate...thank you! The name escaped me. Anyway, I'm not looking for more complicated...just for a cleaner, more modern look. Take another look at the Broncos site and picture it in black and gold instead of blue and orange...that's what I'm talking about. Clean, sharp, crisp, attractive. I'm actually kind of embarrassed that our site looks like something some schmuck could do on geocities or the like.