Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward Upset With AS: Article

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ward Upset With AS: Article

By now, we've all heard about AS clocking Hines... Here's the article from todays' Post-Gazette about it....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ward upset with Anthony Smith after big hit over middle in practice
    Thursday, August 07, 2008
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward is slow to get up after taking a hard hit from teammate Anthony Smith.

Hines Ward has been upset a couple times at safety Anthony Smith for some of the hard hits he delivers to other wide receivers at training camp.

Yesterday, the four-time Pro Bowl receiver was angry again at Smith, a third-year player from Syracuse, because the receiver he hammered on a pass over the middle was Ward.

"There's not much to say ... he hit me," Ward said. "You saw what happened. You guys saw it. There's really nothing for me to say."

Anthony Smith, who enters his 11th season with the Steelers, didn't have to say much. He had a stern look and was not smiling when he was asked about the play in which Smith delivered a jarring hit after a pass over the middle from Ben Roethlisberger, knocking Ward to the ground.

"I'm not going to comment about it," Ward said. "I've been hit before."

Last year at training camp, Ward was angry and began shouting at Smith on the sideline after a play in which the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Smith delivered a hard hit on wide receiver Willie Reid. Ward thought the hit was unnecessary because Reid was returning from a foot injury that ended his 2006 season.

Smith did it again last week when he hammered Reid after a pass reception in practice.

This time, though, the target was Ward. And he wasn't happy about it.

"I normally don't get hit like that during the preseason till preseason games," Ward said. "It is what it is. I'm not going to harp about it."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Ward Upset With AS: Article

Just get rid of him, please. He is not a Steelers type player. He showed that back in '06 against Carolina with his showboating move. He has continued to be an undisciplined player, who does nothing in the real games but loves to take cheap shots when he can. I just don't think the kid is mature enough to be a positive part of the team. Heck, if he was with the Bungles he probably would have been arrested and out of the league already.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Akron, I also was ticked about the "showboating" against Carolina.... I am torn about keeping him (because he does have some serious potential), and cutting him...

...I will say that the pic of Hines laying on the turf really pissed me off, and that's why I included it in the thread... You NEVER want to see one of your star WRs' laying on the turf like that from a hit in practice.... And apparently he lit-up Reid again last week... .... I'm at a loss for words about this...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Akron, I also was ticked about the "showboating" against Carolina.... I am torn about keeping him (because he does have some serious potential), and cutting him...

...I will say that the pic of Hines laying on the turf really pissed me off, and that's why I included it in the thread... You NEVER want to see one of your star WRs' laying on the turf like that from a hit in practice.... And apparently he lit-up Reid again last week... .... I'm at a loss for words about this...
    I hear ya man! I see the potential too, but I just don't think this kid gets it! You can tell that the coaches are begining to get to the end with this kid. I just think he may bite the bullet b/c he was not brought in by Tomlin and you can tell that Coach T just doesn't like the kind too much.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    I just don't think this kid gets it!
    ... Agreed....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    I just don't think this kid gets it!
    ... Agreed....
    I think he's stupid. You can't coach stupid!

Legend

User Info Menu

Anthony Smith, who enters his 11th season with the Steelers, didn't have to say much.
    Doesn't the Post-Gazette employ editors? Sheesh.

Well, it is the first time that I have ever seen Hines on a football field without a smile on his face. Way to go, kid...you da man, alright.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Doesn't the Post-Gazette employ editors? Sheesh.
    Wha????.... You don't have respect for a SERIOUS veteran player?.....

... I should have edited that. But I will not edit an article in any way. (I bitched at tommiesteel for doing so, and I won't do it...)

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like da alien flat out blew Ward up. Now if he could actually do that to anyone besides his own teammates.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Syracuse is a douche bag and apparently a pretty stupid one at that. His main role should be on special teams as a head hunter.
    [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg1416/a"]http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg1416/a[/url] ... ics/ky.jpg