Thread: Tomlin's rhetoric cranks up Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's rhetoric cranks up Steelers

Tomlin's rhetoric cranks up Steelers
    By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_581332.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 81332.html[/url]

The Steelers' transformation, in coach Mike Tomlin's estimation, from a team that had been "enduring" training camp into one that was suddenly "enjoying" it didn't occur without a little prompting.
    Tomlin sensed as much was necessary after observing a Monday morning workout that suggested his team was stuck in neutral, or, as Tomlin put it, "in survival mode."

"He gave a little speech (Monday) morning after practice," nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "He said, 'Hey, listen, let's start thriving and not surviving in this camp. Let's get to work.'

"I think (Monday) afternoon guys were trying to buy into it a little bit."

The Steelers were so crisp and enthusiastic in that Monday afternoon session that Tomlin suspected a "threshold" might have been crossed.
    Tuesday's scheduled festivities, especially last evening's practice at St. Vincent College, offered "spirited" confirmation, especially a second live goal-line drill that was "much better" than the one the Steelers had conducted Sunday.

Still, the response from Tomlin was more prodding.

"It's easy to come out here and have a great time and compete when you know you have 'goal line' at the end," Tomlin said. "We'll see what the dog days are like (today) when there's a less attractive drill waiting at the end of practice."

The big plays that wow the crowds, the long, accurate passes, the leaping interceptions and the ferocity of goal-line challenges are obvious indicators that a team is on its game.

The more subtle aspects of two-a-days indicate whether a team is merely working hard or working smart.

"You want people flying around," linebacker Larry Foote said. "You can feel the momentum out there, you can feel the energy. That's probably what Tomlin looks for, the energy.

"As long as he sees that from both sides, it's a good day."

The second week of a camp is when teams are traditionally susceptible to soreness and boredom.

And today's two practices will conclude a run of five two-a-days (counting morning special teams practices) in six calendar days, the Steelers' busiest stretch of their stay at St. Vincent.

That's what makes this week's "threshold" crossing so "significant" to Tomlin.

"He can tell when guys are pushing it, pushing through and not 'fakin' the funk' but still doing all the little things you're supposed to do when you're not tired," cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

Fakin' the funk?

"When you still run to the ball (on every play, no matter where it ends up) like the coaches tell us to do," Townsend said. "You can tell when guys are slowing down, fakin' the funk, but guys are working.

"That's the sign of a good team, how you work when you're tired."

Added Hoke: "You notice the days when there's no energy and it's quiet and everybody's just trying to get through it. And you notice the days when the tempo's picked up and we'll finish our set amount of plays (in a given period) before the buzzer goes off on the scoreboard.

"You'll notice that kind of stuff. You'll notice when practice is more lively."

And when it isn't.

"Camp is always going to be up and down," Foote said. "We have better days than others, just (due to) mental fatigue and physical fatigue. But we're coming along, definitely moving in the right direction.

"You just want more better days than bad days."

Tomlin, seemingly, has a feel for his team.

But he might have been stretching it just a bit when he said his players were "enjoying" what's taking place.

"You never enjoy camp," Clark said. "But I don't think we're enduring it. Everybody's just trying to get better.

"If he would tell us we could go home now I think guys would leave. I don't think we're enjoying it that much. But everybody's just working hard, man. We just want to be a good team

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin's rhetoric cranks up Steelers

...Quote of the year!....

...Late in the 4th quarter, it's how you perform under duress and exhaustion, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

...Late in the 4th quarter, it's how you perform under duress and exhaustion, IMO.
    Hopefully that sentiment will carry over to the regular season and we see an improvement in our 4th quarter performances over '07. How many games did we lose in the final minutes last year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Hopefully that sentiment will carry over to the regular season and we see an improvement in our 4th quarter performances over '07. How many games did we lose in the final minutes last year?
    You're preaching to the choir, brother..... Obviously, I agree...
    ...Can't specify how many games, but the second half of the season is a good clue...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

You're preaching to the choir, brother..... Obviously, I agree...
    ...Can't specify how many games, but the second half of the season is a good clue...
    Well...let's see.

Denver
    Jets in OT
    Jags (twice)

I guess we can't count the Cardinals and the second Rats game, because they were comeback attempts (against vastly inferior teams) which fell short. Speaking of bad teams, how do we let the likes of the Broncos and Jets come back on us after taking late leads?? Those two games alone would have given us a 12-4 record and who knows what could have happened had we held the lead in the playoff game against the Jags.

You can't go back and play "what if", but you can certainly learn from those experiences and I hope we have.

45 hours.

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps at the end of game 2, we will be strong in the 4th quarter, and the Browns will be "fakin' the funk."
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Perhaps at the end of game 2, we will be strong in the 4th quarter, and the Browns will be "fakin' the funk."
    i cant believe he actually said "fakin the funk" haha i love it, coach t is old school

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin
    'Hey, listen, let's start thriving and not surviving in this camp. Let's get to work.'
    Personally this was my favorite quote form the article. If you;re worried about just getting through camp then you're focused on the wrong goal.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    i cant believe he actually said "fakin the funk" haha i love it, coach t is old school
    I think Deshea said that...but it is still funny nonetheless.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.