Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rooneys to meet soon about Steelers' sale

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Rooneys to meet soon about Steelers' sale

There have been interviews with players, and they stated how much they respected the owner. Many times ... Same cannot be said for other organizations, at least not to this extent.

The POINT is that the Rooneys have been here since footballs' inception, as we know it, and helped form most of what we see today. The POINT is that it would be a very sad day if they are not involved... This team and organization has more class than most, if not all, in the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

respect and playing harder are two different things brah.

i love the rooneys, my ****ing dog carries that name, but i also understand that the times they are a changing. this ain't the 70's. the old ways may not work so well anymore.

the POINT is winning championships. if stanley druckenmiller can help in that end, i am all for it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Opinions are a "dime a dozen".... That's what brought us all here.

History is history, and we are lucky enough to have alot of it due to our owner.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so would you rather have dan and artie in control and not win a championship for another 10 years? and waste the bigben era?

i don't understand this mentality.

"dime a dozen" is right.

i will trade stability for championships any day of the week. and twice on sundays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    so would you rather have dan and artie in control and not win a championship for another 10 years? and waste the bigben era?
    Obviously, the "dime a dozen" reference is directed towards our differing opinions. But that's just fine... Yes, I want Dan in control. There is no way to predict we won't win a championship with him, or win one without him... He is the reason that this team is revered as one of the most "quality" organizations, and that was what I was getting at... I won't toss that to the curb without good reason to do so. There are no guarantees that SD will be a quality owner, so I'll stay with what has worked well for the last several decades. ... And the "Big Ben" era won't be wasted either way, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

agree to disagree then.

i fail to see how the rooney legacy will be kicked to the curb. last time i checked two of them were in the HOF. like i said, the history of the steelers cannot be bought or sold. that is simple to me. if Dan has to mortgage the future of the franchise to remain in control, short term or long term, that is undesirable to me as a fan.

there is also no evidence that SD won't be a quality owner either. i guess i am more of a steeler fan than a rooney fan. it would mean more to me if the rooneys stayed in control and won more SB's. but if you forced me to choose...

give me championships.

i'm not as concerned about who is signing the checks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

agree to disagree then.

i fail to see how the rooney legacy will be kicked to the curb. last time i checked two of them were in the HOF. like i said, the history of the steelers cannot be bought or sold. that is simple to me. if Dan has to mortgage the future of the franchise to remain in control, short term or long term, that is undesirable to me as a fan.

there is also no evidence that SD won't be a quality owner either. i guess i am more of a steeler fan than a rooney fan. it would mean more to me if the rooneys stayed in control and won more SB's. but if you forced me to choose...

give me championships.

i'm not as concerned about who is signing the checks.
    Agreed. If Dan has to mortgage the home to keep the franchise it is a bad situation, as I rebuffed to another poster. It could pose problems.... Yes, there is no evidence that SD wouldn't be a quality owner... But there is no evidence that he would be a good one. Why change it if it ain't broke? Why gamble on an unknown without good reason? What if he came in and screwed-up the franchise completely? ... Now, there is no reason to believe he will, nor that he won't... And that's what I'm getting at... How many owners are better and what are the probabilities that he would be? It's a gamble... Now, we may not even have a choice, and neither you nor I matter, but I like what we have built and become under Rooney.

My original comments in a few posts in this thread referenced what Dan has done for this organization, and he has my respect because of it. Do you want change just for the sake of change?... Yes, I want championships as well, but there is alot more along the way that lead to the same result. We could be as crappy as the Ravens (who also have a championship), and we could have a terrible record like the Cardinals (due to a poor owner like Bidwell)... All in all, it ain't so bad with Dan at the helm.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it's a very sensitive issue. i have gone back and forth.

if Dan can pull it off and the team not suffer, i am all for it.

and we also don't know what kind of owner the lawyer would be. he scares me a little as well. the last name alone does not guarantee success.

i guess that's the beauty of change.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i guess that's the beauty of change.
    Yes... It can be good... Or it can be bad. ... It's a gamble that we, as fans, will just have to accept either way it goes.

As I've stated before in another thread, I'm currently reading Dans' book... It's a great read and tells many stories about this team from early to late. Whether you like him or not, it is quite revealing as to how we got to where we are. I highly recommend it to everyone... You can get it at the Steeler store, and is worth every penny...

[url="http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/79407/"]http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/79407/[/url]