Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fans on notice

Fans on notice

Fans on notice

This from Ed Bouchette:

You Steelers fans better shape up. The NFL just released a new code of conduct for all of you who attend games (you can still try some of these at home, if you’d like).

Here it is:

NFL TEAMS IMPLEMENT FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

The NFL and all 32 NFL clubs have created a fan code of conduct to help promote a positive fan environment at NFL stadiums, it was announced today.

The fan code of conduct is designed to set clear expectations and encourage a stadium environment that is enjoyable for all fans. Teams may add additional provisions to the standard code based on local circumstances or preferences. Each team will communicate its code of conduct during the preseason to season-ticket holders and fans through mailings, online, and in-stadium signage, and other messages.

“The in-stadium experience is critically important to the NFL, our clubs and our fans and it will be a major focus this season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “We are committed to improving the fan experience in every way we can -- from the time fans arrive in the parking lot to when they depart the stadium. We want everyone to be able to come to our stadiums and enjoy the entire day.”

The code of conduct is intended to address behavior that detracts from the gameday experience. Any fan in violation of these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.

In addition to the fan code of conduct, the NFL and its clubs will evaluate fan feedback and existing programs to ensure their effectiveness and shape the development of new programs.

These measures are designed to build on the many outstanding programs already in place at NFL stadiums to enhance the fan experience.

FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

“The National Football League and its teams are committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for all fans, both in the stadium and in the parking lot. We want all fans attending our games to enjoy the experience in a responsible fashion. When attending a game, you are required to refrain from the following behaviors:

· · Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, or illegal in nature
    · · Intoxication or other signs of alcohol impairment that results in irresponsible behavior
    · · Foul or abusive language or obscene gestures
    · · Interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the field)
    · · Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel
    · · Verbal or physical harassment of opposing team fans

“Event patrons are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats. Stadium staff will promptly intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests, and other fans can enjoy the event free from the above behavior. Event patrons and guests who violate these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.”
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Fans on notice

Let's see if this talk turns into action. NFL games are simply not family friendly anymore (and I'm not even talking about the prices right now). Too many drunken fools whose sole objective is trying to start fights are allowed to run their profanity-laced mouths all game long.

Don't get me wrong, when I am at the game, I am one of the loudest guys in the stadium, but I save my voice to scream "DEFENSE!!!" as loud as I can whenever the opponents break an offensive huddle. But I'm not tossing around F-bombs freely or trying to make fans wearing opposing colors fearful of coming to Heinz Field. There is occassional good-natured ribbing with opposing fans at times, but I have enough sense to make sure it never escalates to the vile or violent.

I have yet to take my son (now 7) to a regular season game because the atmosphere up in the bleachers where I sit is never PG or even PG-13. I would like to be able to bring him (and even my daughter, now 3) to a real game (not pre-season, where the atmosphere is much more laid back) at some point with worrying about all of the hooligans around them. Granted, most Steeler fans are conscientious folk (Pittsburgh is not like Philadelphia or Oakland), but there are a few that should be dealt with in order to make the experience better for everybody, and for families in particular.

I take my kids to AHL hockey games all the time (we have season tickets to the W-B/S Penguins), and although the crowd does get loud and really into the game, I don't see the same type of boorish, drunken behavior among fans there that is relatively common at NFL games. Hopefully they are able to clean it up somewhat. We'll see.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Let's see if this talk turns into action. NFL games are simply not family friendly anymore (and I'm not even talking about the prices right now). Too many drunken fools whose sole objective is trying to start fights are allowed to run their profanity-laced mouths all game long.

Don't get me wrong, when I am at the game, I am one of the loudest guys in the stadium, but I save my voice to scream "DEFENSE!!!" as loud as I can whenever the opponents break an offensive huddle. But I'm not tossing around F-bombs freely or trying to make fans wearing opposing colors fearful of coming to Heinz Field. There is occassional good-natured ribbing with opposing fans at times, but I have enough sense to make sure it never escalates to the vile or violent.

I have yet to take my son (now 7) to a regular season game because the atmosphere up in the bleachers where I sit is never PG or even PG-13. I would like to be able to bring him (and even my daughter, now 3) to a real game (not pre-season, where the atmosphere is much more laid back) at some point with worrying about all of the hooligans around them. Granted, most Steeler fans are conscientious folk (Pittsburgh is not like Philadelphia or Oakland), but there are a few that should be dealt with in order to make the experience better for everybody, and for families in particular.

I take my kids to AHL hockey games all the time (we have season tickets to the W-B/S Penguins), and although the crowd does get loud and really into the game, I don't see the same type of boorish, drunken behavior among fans there that is relatively common at NFL games. Hopefully they are able to clean it up somewhat. We'll see.
    Ruthless, I am glad someone else has stood-up and commented about all this... I did so on the "other" board and was almost bitched out of town when the topic was breached several months back during last season... Yes, it is an issue, and while alot of folks think "WE" are better, we're not.... My daughter is now 8, and I won't take her to a game either (although she has been asking to go with me and "grandpa" this season...). ... It has gotten completely out of control... And yes, as you said, I will engage in "banter"... Sometimes "heated" banter, but not obnoxious banter... There is a difference... I think fans feel somewhat "entitled" to do so because of the price of admission, and alcohol plays a part... Don't get me wrong, because I'll have some beer and maybe a shot or two and get into it all, but there is a huge difference. I think that alot of the crowd is getting younger than I am, and I'm seeing things differently as I grow older and start looking towards the "big 5-0" in several years... I'm not sure this will work....

... But it even bothered me a few years ago when I was not to this point... It was Bens' first start at Miami in the "Hurricane Game"... There were several Steeler fans in the stands in the section next to us, and they were completely plastered... Don't personally know how they rationalized buying tix and not remembering the game, but hey, not my responsibility (maybe.... I'll elaborate later)... Anyway, they were dropping the F-bombs and yelling at the Miami fans about not being at the game (they were probably cleaning-up from the storm...). Two of them actually fell over the row in front of them and yelled at the fans for being "in thier way".... It was without a doubt the most obnoxious example of Steeler fans I've ever seen....

I've also seen it here in Cincy by our fans... While I would like to say that it is ALL prevoked, it's not... Some folks (usually younger) are just assholes, and don't carry our colors very well at away games... And yes, it also happens at Heinz Field... While we are the "home" fans, we probably don't realize it as much since we're rooting for the same team.... But if you stand back and actually notice what is going on, it is embarassing.... My dad and I noticed that last season... And for those of you going to a game this year for the first time (you know who you are) you'll see it there as well as in Cincy... I have seen our fans act poorly here as well. Granted, mostly in "retaliation", but not always... And Cincy fans are as bad as the rest... I saw an adult rip a posterboard out of a 8-10 yr-olds' hands that read "I [heart-shape] Favre" when they played Green Bay...

I am with you Ruthless... I won't be taking my child to a game anytime soon... But do the rest of us have any responsibility to change this issue?... I say yes. ... We can change our own behavior and that of those within our group... Maybe even "rat out" the bad apples within the crowd to the authorities, I don't know. But as responsible adults, I think we have the "power" to reclaim the venue for those of us that are "sane" enough to enjoy a game.... But I definitely think it is a shame that children cannot go and experience a live game with thier parents because of the crap going on.... They watch the games on tv with us when at home, but we cannot take them.... It's a true shame.

I'll weigh in on this from Philadelphia.

I should first say that I am a Phillies fan, but there are few things in life that I despise more than the Eagles. The Phillies fans can be obnoxious, and things get very nasty when the Mets are in town (that comes from both sides), but you can wear a jersey from any non-NY team in Citizens bank, and although you may have to put up with some nonsense (especially if you're in the cheap seats on a dollar dog night), it's generally fine.

The Eagles are a different story. Their fans are obnoxious, and embarrass the city everywhere. I was recently at Camden Yards for a game w/ no connection to Philadelphia, and still heard the e-a-g-l-e-s chant. More than that, they're a scary bunch. I have tickets to the regular season game this year in Philadelphia, and I'm contemplating whether it's worth it wear my jersey. Of course, I want to support the team, but I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it. I've never been to a regular season game at Lincoln Financial, but I have no faith in the police keeping order in the parking lots beforehand, or in stadium security to keep order during the game. And here in Philadelphia, it's not a small minority ruining it for the rest -- the obnoxious fans seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Every year here, articles are written about the despicable behavior (even by locals), but nothing changes. It will be interesting to see if this new policy has teeth, but I doubt it.

Pro Bowler

The environment at NFL games have not been "kid friendly" for many, many years. I recall my dad telling me that, in the late 70's, he took my 2 older brothers to Three Rivers for a game and that he regretted it. At the time, my brothers were between the ages of 10-13. He said langague and the drunkiness ruined the experience for him and his 2 Steeler lovin' boys.

Three years ago, I went to the Cincy/Steelers game in Cincy with my older brother and my younger brother (who was 22 at the time). My younger brother couldn't handle the atmoshere. He took the banter personally, and got way out of line, pissed off our whole section, and is lucky to have made it out of the stadium without a busted lip (administered either by me or anyone else that we sat by).

To make a long story short he ruined the trip for myself and my other brother. He hasn't been back with us since.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I should first say that I am a Phillies fan, but there are few things in life that I despise more than the Eagles. The Phillies fans can be obnoxious, and things get very nasty when the Mets are in town (that comes from both sides), but you can wear a jersey from any non-NY team in Citizens bank, and although you may have to put up with some nonsense (especially if you're in the cheap seats on a dollar dog night), it's generally fine.

The Eagles are a different story. Their fans are obnoxious, and embarrass the city everywhere. I was recently at Camden Yards for a game w/ no connection to Philadelphia, and still heard the e-a-g-l-e-s chant. More than that, they're a scary bunch. I have tickets to the regular season game this year in Philadelphia, and I'm contemplating whether it's worth it wear my jersey. Of course, I want to support the team, but I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it. I've never been to a regular season game at Lincoln Financial, but I have no faith in the police keeping order in the parking lots beforehand, or in stadium security to keep order during the game. And here in Philadelphia, it's not a small minority ruining it for the rest -- the obnoxious fans seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Every year here, articles are written about the despicable behavior (even by locals), but nothing changes. It will be interesting to see if this new policy has teeth, but I doubt it.
    I have a friend who is a Colts fans, but lives in Oakland California. Last year, the Colts played at the Raiders. We took his wife and they wore neutral clothes. No Colts gear whatsoever.

He wanted to see his team, but he didn't want to deal with the BS. I would think that Oakland fans are similiar to Philly fans.

Pro Bowler

It is really sad that pro sports have reached this level of ignorance. I would never attack or demean the fan of another team. Sometimes people take it too far.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    It is really sad that pro sports have reached this level of ignorance. I would never attack or demean the fan of another team. Sometimes people take it too far.

I agree, it is sad.

If you take away the booze, and put the same numb-skulls that get into a spat at an NFL game, and put them in another social setting, they may actually like another.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Agreed. It is just a "game"..... But is it the high price of admission that gives the obnoxious fans a "sense of entitlement", or something else?... Is alcohol the only factor?... Man, even with my dad, some of what I see makes me blush at times.... It's just out of control at most locations...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I have a friend who is a Colts fans, but lives in Oakland California. Last year, the Colts played at the Raiders. We took his wife and they wore neutral clothes. No Colts gear whatsoever.

He wanted to see his team, but he didn't want to deal with the BS. I would think that Oakland fans are similiar to Philly fans.
    It's funny but one time I listened to the radio here in Philly. It was a Dallas Cowboy fan and he stated that they are selective about opposing fans they pick on at games. He said he was 6-3 220 and he did not hear a peep out one person the whole game.

I hope the Steelers defeat the Eagles this year or I will never hear the end of it.