Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think - Colon at RG?

Pro Bowler

What do you think - Colon at RG?

The RG position has been a weakness for a while in Pittsburgh. Simmons, though reliable, just isn't good at all. Aside from Mahan, he was probably the worst player on our line last season. And Colon, though he puts his heart into every play, gave up a bunch of sacks in 07.

I've felt Colon would be better suited at guard, especially due to his size and short arms. He's even stated he wouldn't mind moving to the inside.

So, what do you think? Should the coaches at least give him a shot at the inside to see what he can do, and let Starks earn his big fat paycheck at RT? Personally, I would love to see it happen.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Re: What do you think - Colon at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    The RG position has been a weakness for a while in Pittsburgh. Simmons, though reliable, just isn't good at all. Aside from Mahan, he was probably the worst player on our line last season. And Colon, though he puts his heart into every play, gave up a bunch of sacks in 07.

I've felt Colon would be better suited at guard, especially due to his size and short arms. He's even stated he wouldn't mind moving to the inside.

So, what do you think? Should the coaches at least give him a shot at the inside to see what he can do, and let Starks earn his big fat paycheck at RT? Personally, I would love to see it happen.
    The longer camp goes on without trying it, the less likely it is to happen.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I've been saying the large, mauling Kemoeatu would be a better fit at RG, and Colon would be a good fit at LG. This would keep Simmons as your top backup in reserve, and lets big money Max start at RT.

Legend

My starting 5 would be:

LT-Smith
    LG-Colon
    C-Hartwig
    RT-Simmons
    RT-Starks

As pointed out, if you don't see something like this by the second pre-season game it isn't going to happen. I could very well see Simmons gone next season if he continues to struggle. If Kemo plays a produces he gets resigned and I could see Colon taking over for Simmons.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

It shouldn't happen unless you want to move Marvel to the right...which won't happen. Starks is a pizz poor RT...and I'm not sure why people believe that a line with Starks at RT is a better line.

I would LOVE to see Colon at RG...but until we get a quality RT it won't happen.

I would love to see Willie playing guard instead of tackle. I believe guard is his natural position and he would excel there. The problem is we are very short of tackle talent. I don't believe we should play Starks at RT just because we paid him a boatload of money (I still can't believe we let him sign that offer ). If Starks wins that job then move Willie to guard but until that time we need him to play RT. I hate to see it because Willie is at best an average RT where I think he could be an excellent guard.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I would love to see Willie playing guard instead of tackle. I believe guard is his natural position and he would excel there. The problem is we are very short of tackle talent. I don't believe we should play Starks at RT just because we paid him a boatload of money (I still can't believe we let him sign that offer ). If Starks wins that job then move Willie to guard but until that time we need him to play RT. I hate to see it because Willie is at best an average RT where I think he could be an excellent guard.
    I think I share your exact sentiments. Honestly, Colon is playing out of position at Rt. Which is one reason why I really hope Hills turns out well. We could use him to replace Starks, move Colon inside, and keep Simmons as a backup (which honestly is what he should be).

The only reason why I'm not really riled about the huge Starks contract is that it's only one year. After this season, it's not our problem.

Hall of Famer

You guys may be right, but if he's playing "out of position", he's done so most of his career and college as a tackle...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    You guys may be right, but if he's playing "out of position", he's done so most of his career and college as a tackle...
    I don't think it's "out of position" per se...but I do believe he is better suited to play guard. Early scouting reports agreed. He is there due to need...not because he excels at RT.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I don't think it's "out of position" per se...but I do believe he is better suited to play guard. Early scouting reports agreed. He is there due to need...not because he excels at RT.
    Yes, maybe so.... But when I say "out of position", I meant that he played tackle all his life, including college at Hofstra.... In '05 he was an all-american 3rd team, in '04 he started 11 games at tackle, and the same in '03 (12 games)...

... However, in '02, he played in only one game... At DEFENSIVE TACKLE... (and recorded one solo tackle)....

Now, this doesn't mean he CAN'T play guard, nor that he wouldn't be more effective, but it just seems wrong to say he's "out of position", since that's where he has played for years...