Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mendenhall gets stuffed

Re: mendenhall gets stuffed

This doesn't surprise me. Mendenhall is a tough runner...but he is tough after building a little steam...he breaks alot of open field tackles. When Mendenhall gets to the second level...he is probably the best on the team at losing that last tackler. Is he a goaline back? Ehhh...he's better than Parker, and Davenport.

Now, Russell is an entirely different player. He is tough as nails...and as I said before our toughest power runner. He will be our short yardage back unless Mendenhall can get alot better. Russell was known for his ability to get those 3-4 tough yards. He compared favorably to his teammate Barber in that respect. His running style is very Clarettesque is his vision, ability to follow the flow of blockers, to find open space and then to explode through a hole. In that respect he is VERY impressive. In all honesty, he is the best power runner we have had since we had a young Bettis. He makes this squad and just might find a niche to get some PT.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    This doesn't surprise me. Mendenhall is a tough runner...but he is tough after building a little steam...he breaks alot of open field tackles. When Mendenhall gets to the second level...he is probably the best on the team at losing that last tackler. Is he a goaline back? Ehhh...he's better than Parker, and Davenport.

Now, Russell is an entirely different player. He is tough as nails...and as I said before our toughest power runner. He will be our short yardage back unless Mendenhall can get alot better. Russell was known for his ability to get those 3-4 tough yards. He compared favorably to his teammate Barber in that respect. His running style is very Clarettesque is his vision, ability to follow the flow of blockers, to find open space and then to explode through a hole. In that respect he is VERY impressive. In all honesty, he is the best power runner we have had since we had a young Bettis. He makes this squad and just might find a niche to get some PT.
    I realize most of you have seen this from a different thread on this very sight but Chemsteel did shed some light on the Mendy goaline stuffage situation...

I was a little confused about Coach Tomlins comments concerning the goal line drill and Mendenhall's failures. The coach should have stated that the blocking for Mendenhall was zone on three straight calls and the first team defense knew the calls. Russell ran two plays with a man on man scheme and the holes were there even without Dan Kreider.

Mendenhall was looking for a hole. It is just a rookie mistake that is easily corrected knowing that you have minimal time in goal line running. The defense just stacks.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

I realize most of you have seen this from a different thread on this very sight but Chemsteel did shed some light on the Mendy goaline stuffage situation...

I was a little confused about Coach Tomlins comments concerning the goal line drill and Mendenhall's failures. The coach should have stated that the blocking for Mendenhall was zone on three straight calls and the first team defense knew the calls. Russell ran two plays with a man on man scheme and the holes were there even without Dan Kreider.

Mendenhall was looking for a hole. It is just a rookie mistake that is easily corrected knowing that you have minimal time in goal line running. The defense just stacks.
    I did see Chem's analysis...but it really doesn't change my opinion. It has actually been my opinion since Mendenhall was drafted. Mendenhall is a tough runner...but I believe Russell is a tougher runner. I wrote a lengthy post comparing the two but basically I feel that Parker and Mendenhall should be 1a and 1b...and Russell should be our short yardage back. Also, Russell is used to running in a traditional 2 back system. Russell is an absolute beast between the tackles....the kind of guy that can find 4 yards from 1. Mendenhall is the complete package and will be just fine in short yardage situations. But Mendenhall is not better at short yardage than Russell...that I would bet money on.