Legend

User Info Menu

ESPN: Bengals 'far apart' on contract with draft pick Rivers

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517510[/url]

Source: Bengals 'far apart' on contract with draft pick Rivers
    By James Walker
    ESPN.com

Updated: August 3, 2008, 8:26 PM ET

The Cincinnati Bengals and first-round pick Keith Rivers are still "far apart" in contract negotiations, a source told ESPN.com Sunday. Rivers, the No. 9 overall pick in April's NFL draft, has missed the entire first week of training camp with Cincinnati.

The two sides remain in constant negotiations. The source added that talks could improve dramatically at any time, but as of Sunday afternoon the team was not close to striking a deal with Rivers.

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie defensive end Derrick Harvey, the No. 8 pick, and Rivers remain the only unsigned first-rounders. Jacksonville's inability to sign its top pick one spot ahead of Cincinnati also is slowing negotiations with Rivers, the source said.

Rivers is the favorite to win a starting job at outside linebacker for Cincinnati and is considered one of the most NFL-ready players in the draft. Depending on how long the holdout continues, he will have to make up a lot of ground once he arrives.

"A lot of this stuff we've already gone over, so he's heard it once through the minicamp," Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer told ESPN.com last week. "But now is when it's starting to get critical for him, because it's all starting to come together. Even if he came out tomorrow, he's got to learn [multiple] days of install in one day. So he's way behind the eight ball now. It's going to be tough."

Third-year linebacker Brandon Johnson currently is getting reps with the first team at outside linebacker, but he is not considered the long-term solution. Cincinnati finished last season ranked No. 27 in overall defense last season, prompting the Bengals to select Rivers as their future cornerstone on defense.

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: ESPN: Bengals 'far apart' on contract with draft pick Rivers

The Saints and Sedrick Ellis F'ed us big time in terms of signing Rivers.

Here are the last two picks at the #9 slot and what they got paid:

2007: Ted Ginn Jr. - 5 year, $13 Mil
    2006: Ernie Sims - 5 year, $15.735 Mil

Then this year Jerod Mayo at the #10 spot behind Rivers (at the same position) got a 5 year $19 Mil deal.

Then there is sedrick ellis who got a 5 year, $49 Mil deal.

WTF? How do you go from 19 Mil to 49 Mil???

Then you read this talking about the Harvey situation:

"The sticking point is the extent of the increase that Harvey should receive in relation to the player taken with the eighth overall selection in 2007, Falcons defensive end Jamaal Anderson. The problem is that Saints defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis pocketed a very sizeable increase over the contract signed by last year’s No. 7 overall pick, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

Per Kremer, the Jaguars are offering increases of 11.8 percent in guaranteed money over Anderson’s deal, 10 percent in base money, and 6.8 percent in the so-called “superstar package.” Ellis received increases of 15 percent, 75 percent and 21 percent over those same figures from Peterson’s 2007 contract."

The guaranteed money I don't think is far off. The guaranteed is only $6 Mil difference between Ellis and Mayo eventhough the overall contracts differ by $30 Mil. But after the situation between the Cardinals and Fitzgerald, no one wants to get stuck in a huge deal like that.

Hopefully Rivers will just cave and sign. I really hope the Bengals don't cave in this situation, because we could be F'ed salary cap wise if we do give in...

BIG FAN

When I saw the title of the thread, for some reason I thought the next thread title would be Jom has finally decided to back a winner.
    I have to agree with you on most counts of your post Jom, it does look like you guys are F'd.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    When I saw the title of the thread, for some reason I thought the next thread title would be Jom has finally decided to back a winner.
    I have to agree with you on most counts of your post Jom, it does look like you guys are F'd.
    I'm just glad that Brandon Johnson has been stepping up in training camp at the WLB position. Regardless of if Rivers signs tomorrow or in a month, I think Brandon Johnson will be starting come week 1 at this point.

The problem is going to be if/when someone gets hurts...

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    I'm just glad that Brandon Johnson has been stepping up in training camp at the WLB position. Regardless of if Rivers signs tomorrow or in a month, I think Brandon Johnson will be starting come week 1 at this point.

If/when.
    Good point. We also have those concerns with both our lines.
    Havent gone over to your board for a few days, but are they pulling their hair out yet?
    All I know is there were a lot of mock draft prognosticators who were salivating at getting this guy on our team, but realistically it would never happen. I think Johnson is a good football player, but you guys really need more. Being a nice guy like I am, who know's maybe next yeat year this guy Rivers will be all that. We already know over here about your big pick not being able to learn what he needs his first year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You guys have only yourselves to blame. I think all the Bengal threads hyping him as the next LT caused his ego to skyrocket.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch

You guys have only yourselves to blame. I think all the Bengal threads hyping him as the next LT caused his ego to skyrocket.
    Well, it is Cincy, and their front office.
    The only place in the North that seems to have open dissention from star players about being on the team. (See Chad Johnson.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm gonna go out on a limb here ST and say that Keith Rivers doesn't check the Message Boards.

Just because a handful of delusional posters might think that doesn't mean Rivers does. Anyone with even a half way decent knowledge of football wouldn't compare a person with zero sacks last season to one of the greatest LB's in NFL history at getting at the QB.

Rivers is a solid tackler which is what the majority of sports writers and fans are saying. Not that he is LT...

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully Rivers will just cave and sign. I really hope the Bengals don't cave in this situation, because we could be F'ed salary cap wise if we do give in...
    Here's a thought. Rivers isn't really happy he is going to perenial basket case Bungals and since by the nature of the league he is essentially an indentured servant he is going to make the Bungals pay through the nose to get him into one of the historically worst franchises in the NFL.

He probably well aware that he will never repeat the success he had in college playing for the Bungals, but will be stuck there none the less.

"My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm gonna go out on a limb here ST and say that Keith Rivers doesn't check the Message Boards.

Just because a handful of delusional posters might think that doesn't mean Rivers does. Anyone with even a half way decent knowledge of football wouldn't compare a person with zero sacks last season to one of the greatest LB's in NFL history at getting at the QB.

Rivers is a solid tackler which is what the majority of sports writers and fans are saying. Not that he is LT...
    Oh, I know.

I am enjoying this however, especially after all the over-hyping I saw from tools like SLS and others. Reading some posts, you'd think this man was going to single-handedly save your defense. Don't get me wrong, he'll probably end up being the best player on your D, but that's not saying much. And yes, he'll be a solid tackler, which is already an upgrade.

I can't say I blame him for his actions though, considering your history of bad luck with LB's. But I will agree that it will probably come back to bite him in the arse later.

Besides, we all know Woodley will be better anyway. (knocks on wood)