Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donnie Shell

Legend

Re: Donnie Shell

The anti-Steeler bias within the ranks of the HoF selectors is getting to the point of ridiculous:

No Lloyd
    No Greenwood
    No Shell
    No Greene (more sacks than any LB in history)
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

i just looked up tippett's stats. 11 years and 100 sacks so an average of 9 sacks a season. and greene and derrick thomas aren't in, thats absolutely ridiculous. the hof is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i just looked up tippett's stats. 11 years and 100 sacks so an average of 9 sacks a season. and greene and derrick thomas aren't in, thats absolutely ridiculous. the hof is a joke
    I hate to say this but there is a lot more to playing linebacker than getting sacks. While I agree that Greene and Thomas should be in but what they accomplished shouldn't diminish Tippett's play. He was an excellent linebacker who played his position and made the O-Coordinators account for him on the field.

I'm more ticked about a Steeler LB who made 7 pro bowls, was team captain for 10 years and never missed a game in his career. In fact he never missed a game in High School or College either. He wasn't flashy so he never got the pub. I never remember a successful sweep run around his side (Although this might be selective memory ) ... of course they never called many plays his way. In case you haven't figured it out I am talking about Andy Russell and I don't think he had double digit sacks for his career total. Still he was the prototypical linebacker for his time.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I hate to say this but there is a lot more to playing linebacker than getting sacks. While I agree that Greene and Thomas should be in but what they accomplished shouldn't diminish Tippett's play. He was an excellent linebacker who played his position and made the O-Coordinators account for him on the field.

I'm more ticked about a Steeler LB who made 7 pro bowls, was team captain for 10 years and never missed a game in his career. In fact he never missed a game in High School or College either. He wasn't flashy so he never got the pub. I never remember a successful sweep run around his side (Although this might be selective memory ) ... of course they never called many plays his way. In case you haven't figured it out I am talking about Andy Russell and I don't think he had double digit sacks for his career total. Still he was the prototypical linebacker for his time.
    i know that sacks arent the only way to measure how good a lb is, i was just giving an example of two lb's that obviously have better numbers but didnt get in the hof

Tippet was a very good player, and probably HOF worthy. I agree though that he is rising above equal or better players because the league wants the hall to reflect the successes of the Pats.

As for him having Kraft present, he probably was the one who lobbied for the league to expand the NE presence. I'd let him present me as well if he bought me into the HOF.

BIG FAN

Andy Russell was the captain of a def. that became known as the Steel Cutain, if Iam not mistaken.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN

Andy Russell was the captain of a def. that became known as the Steel Cutain, if Iam not mistaken.
    Since he career began in 1963, long before a lot of the 70's Hall of Famers arrived, he was at the end of his career when the Steel Curtain was being built. He retired after Super Bowl X vs. the Cowboys.

Steely76

the big difference of tippet and lloyd is tippet didnt even have a long career at all. if they wanted a patriot so badly i think michael haynes should of gotten in. its mind botteling how dirt isnt in the hof. i never saw the 70's steelers but from what i hear its absolute horse sh$$ that donnie shell isnt in as well
    Dude no offense but Tippett was in the league as long as Lloyd, 11 years and actually appeared in more games because Lloyd was hurt most of '96.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    the big difference of tippet and lloyd is tippet didnt even have a long career at all. if they wanted a patriot so badly i think michael haynes should of gotten in. its mind botteling how dirt isnt in the hof. i never saw the 70's steelers but from what i hear its absolute horse sh$$ that donnie shell isnt in as well
    Dude no offense but Tippett was in the league as long as Lloyd, 11 years and actually appeared in more games because Lloyd was hurt most of '96.
    yea i know i looked his stats up after i posted that. wooops

tippett did only average something like 6.5 sacks a season though. i have no problem with him in the hof. i do have a problem with him getting in before lb's like greene and thomas though

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    Tell em'.