Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Shell

Steely76

Donnie Shell

If guys like Darrell Green and Emmitt Thomas are getting into the HOF then why isn't Donnie Shell in there? For that matter if Andre Tippett can get in so should Greg Lloyd and LC Greenwood.

Pro Bowler

Re: Donnie Shell

I really don't get Tippet getting in.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

They are scrambling in an effort to find Patriot players worthy of the Hall. There are not that many. Tippet was good, but was he great? I believe he got in because he was a Patriot. I believe that Shell has been denied because he was a Steeler along with Dermonti Dawson, and LC. I watched the HOF inductions yesterday. Did anyone else hear the less than enthusiastic applause when Pats owner, Robert Kraft, was introduced to present Tippet?
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss

They are scrambling in an effort to find Patriot players worthy of the Hall. There are not that many. Tippet was good, but was he great? I believe he got in because he was a Patriot. I believe that Shell has been denied because he was a Steeler along with Dermonti Dawson, and LC. I watched the HOF inductions yesterday. Did anyone else hear the less than enthusiastic applause when Pats owner, Robert Kraft, was introduced to present Tippet?
    I didn't watch the inductions yesterday (family in from out of town for the weekend), but was there any reason why Tippett chose Kraft to present him? After all, Tippett retired in 1993 and Kraft bought the team in 1994. I could be wrong, but I think if Dermontti Dawson gets in (as he damn well should!), I don't think he would pick Mike Tomlin to introduce him, for instance.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Tippett said he had Kraft introduce him because all the money Kraft put into the organization, and because he brought a dynasty back to New England, or something like that. Then he said he hoped Kraft would eventually be inducted as well.

It sounds to me like Tippet was kissing Krafts ass being that he still might work in the organization, and was looking for some job security.

I'm puzzled as to why no one is voting in Dermonti Dawson, I thought he would walk right in during the first year...apparently they think we have too many players in the hall now...weak!
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Pro Bowler

Tippett was a great player who was stuck on mostly crappy teams (think Jason Taylor). He was selected to 5 straight Pro-Bowls & was named to the 80's All-Decade Team. While I agree that isn't a "marquee" name, I don't have a huge problem with it unless Greg Lloyd isn't afforded the same consideration. After all...Lloyd was also a 5-time Pro-Bowler & unlike Tippett he was named All-Pro 3 times. But for some reason I don't see Lloyd getting a fair shake, or Kevin Green either.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    If guys like Darrell Green and Emmitt Thomas are getting into the HOF then why isn't Donnie Shell in there? For that matter if Andre Tippett can get in so should Greg Lloyd and LC Greenwood.
    Because they are from the Steelers. Period.
    Also because the Steelers owners have always been notoriously against the schmoozing treatment of what used to be the press, then sportswriters, and now the media.
    I remember way back when I was little, my Dad saying he respected the Steelers organization because win or lose, they didn't cater to the media. No free lunch in Pittsburgh, just because you get to tell about the game. For free.
    When the Steelers starting becoming dominant in the 70's, we could not get the "respect" even back then. After our beloved Steelers became a Dynasty, the Rooneys still didn't cater to the pundits, and they always seemed to look for a good team to fail. My Dad was right when he said, "Billy, the only people in this world who really know anything about playing football, are the men who are playing right now with a good coach who lets them know how to win, what everybody else says you, me, or some guy from t.v. dont mean nothin'".

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss

I didn't watch the inductions yesterday (family in from out of town for the weekend), but was there any reason why Tippett chose Kraft to present him? After all, Tippett retired in 1993 and Kraft bought the team in 1994. I could be wrong, but I think if Dermontti Dawson gets in (as he damn well should!), I don't think he would pick Mike Tomlin to introduce him, for instance.
    I didn't really know the dates (or really cared to look) but yeah, I was thinking the same thing - that Tippett's time with the Patriots was pre-Kraft. Weird.

Hall of Famer

the big difference of tippet and lloyd is tippet didnt even have a long career at all. if they wanted a patriot so badly i think michael haynes should of gotten in. its mind botteling how dirt isnt in the hof. i never saw the 70's steelers but from what i hear its absolute horse sh$$ that donnie shell isnt in as well