Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley Ready To Take A Big Step

More good news.....
    ----------------------------------------
    Woodley ready to take a big step
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Latrobe, Pa - Linebacker LaMarr Woodley came into training camp last year as a rookie learning a new position and an entire new defense.

This year it’s a totally different story as he comes in as the heir apparent to Clark Haggans at outside linebacker.

“This year I know what to expect going to training camp,” said Woodley. “The first year you come in kind of lost. This year I am prepared. I have a year under my belt and more knowledge of the game.”

Woodley played defensive end at Michigan but the Steelers moved him to outside linebacker after he was drafted. There was plenty to learn and it wouldn’t come overnight.

“All of the language was different and I wasn’t rushing every play,” said Woodley. “I had to learn all of the different pass drops and covering receivers, tight ends and running backs. Playing defensive end I didn’t have to do all of that. Now I am more comfortable with that.”

And with that comfort come high expectations from the coaches and those he is putting on himself.

“Clark was a good player, but I am a good player as well,” said Woodley. “I have to go in there and play the best that I know I can play. I can’t be anybody else but me.

“I set high expectations for myself all of the time. Having others have them for me isn’t a bad thing.”

Woodley, who would like to improve in coverage, knows that will come with experience on the field, something he is looking forward to getting

“Since the end of the season I have been studying the playbook to make sure I come in here and cut back on some of the mistakes,” said Woodley. “You always make mistakes, but I want to cut back.

“I know more of the playbook now. I got the chance to learn about the guys on the team. Everything just went up to another level.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Woodley Ready To Take A Big Step

It's nice th hear he didn't spend the off season getting fat and lazy

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Or signing autographs at a VIP Club in the hood (ala Darnell Stapleton)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't wait to see this guy play. I must say, barring injuries (knocks on wood), we're going to have a nice, deep LB corps this season.

Speaking of rookies, I wonder how William Gay will do? The guy showed a lot of promise in the preseason, then sort of fell off the face of the earth. I want to see what he can do!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    I can't wait to see this guy play. I must say, barring injuries (knocks on wood), we're going to have a nice, deep LB corps this season.

Speaking of rookies, I wonder how William Gay will do? The guy showed a lot of promise in the preseason, then sort of fell off the face of the earth. I want to see what he can do!
    Just to clarify...the two guys that you are most interested in...GAY WOOD?!?!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I expect huge things from Lamarr this year. I just see the type of pass rusher in him that we haven't had since Lloyd/Greene. I think he puts up double digits easy. I just don't see how teams are going to be able to consistently keep Lamarr and Silverback off of their QB's without sacrificing protections elsewhere. I could never understand why Haggans started for so long, he was always just average at best.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    I expect huge things from Lamarr this year. I just see the type of pass rusher in him that we haven't had since Lloyd/Greene. I think he puts up double digits easy. I just don't see how teams are going to be able to consistently keep Lamarr and Silverback off of their QB's without sacrificing protections elsewhere. I could never understand why Haggans started for so long, he was always just average at best.
    He will help Harrison by driving the QB in his direction. Add a blitzing Timmons to the mix and I have high hopes we will be able to pressure the QB like we need to in order to be a top notch team.

I'm also hopeful more pressure from LBs means that Troy will not be wasted on foolish blitzes up the middle. Let him play DB and he will be great and he will stay healthy. He is not a MLB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the only thing im concerned about with woodley is his coverage. i thought he looked good last year in preseason for a guy with not much expierence at lb. definetly one of my favorite draft picks in recent years. what a solid round 2 the steelers have had the last two drafts. sweed and woodley both could and should of been first round picks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    the only thing im concerned about with woodley is his coverage. i thought he looked good last year in preseason for a guy with not much expierence at lb. definetly one of my favorite draft picks in recent years. what a solid round 2 the steelers have had the last two drafts. sweed and woodley both could and should of been first round picks
    He will have to get better or IMO the coverage challenge can be helped by keeping Troy out of the trenches.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    He will have to get better or IMO the coverage challenge can be helped by keeping Troy out of the trenches.
    if woodley's coverage is anything to be desired that might be what will keep troy away from o-lineman. hopefully dl will change that aspect of the defense