Thread: Limas Sweed 'Can See Clearly Now'

Pro Bowler

Limas Sweed 'Can See Clearly Now'

He was good while he couldn't see, just imagine him now.

LATROBE (KDKA) ? Rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed returned to practice today, one day after being forced from the St. Vincent practice fields with cramps.

But it wasn't recovering from the cramps that had the Steelers second round draft pick smiling. "I got my eyes checked out and found out I had a little astigmatism in both of my eyes."

While Sweed had glasses as a small child, he thought he'd outgrown the need and could see fine. "I didn't think it was a big deal," Sweed said. "But I found out I had a little eye problem and the guy put the glasses on me and I was like man I can see clear."

Sweed fully expects to do even better in training camp now that he can see the ball.

As for the cramps, the Texas standout says, "I'm a natural sweater, I sweat out a lot of salt and I forgot about that and I was just out there running around and got excited and I forgot about taking the salt tablet pills so I'm taking the salt tablet pills and I'll be fine."

http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.Limas ... 84978.html

Hall of Famer

Re: Limas Sweed 'Can See Clearly Now'

Very interesting. Thanx for the article, JAR.....

... Maybe this will help on those "fade patterns" they'll be running, and make him even better.....

Pro Bowler

Ya know, for some reason this kind of bothers me!

Where was the scouting dept with this situation. To me that would be one of the most important things I would want to check out. I mean a reciever needs to be able to see to catch right!

I don't know just kind of sat funny with me!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Step One to an improved WR corps: Getting contacts for Limas Sweed to treat astigmatism so he can see. Check.

Step Two to an improved WR corps: Performing endoscopic surgery on Nate Washington's hands to treat carpal tunnel syndrome so he can catch. Kidding, of course. :P

It seems to me that I read at least a few of these stories each year about a WR finding out that he couldn't see. In baseball, you seem to see the same thing every spring with a few guys. A hitter that slumped, then they find out he needs contacts.

With all of the money wrapped up in these guys, I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a basic physical, eye exam, that sort of thing, right on the first day of camp. Or, especially with rookies, at the combine.

Legend

Kudos to the WR coach and Tomlin for sensing a problem and seeing it through to a positive conclusion.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    It seems to me that I read at least a few of these stories each year about a WR finding out that he couldn't see. In baseball, you seem to see the same thing every spring with a few guys. A hitter that slumped, then they find out he needs contacts.

With all of the money wrapped up in these guys, I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a basic physical, eye exam, that sort of thing, right on the first day of camp. Or, especially with rookies, at the combine.

I wear glasses and I can tell you the problem w/ all of the tests is that they are subjective. A lot of people who have just "barely bad" eyes can guess the letter/arrows by shape on the eye chart. So you can have someone w/ slightly bad vision skate through the system for years. It takes a really astute optometrist or patient.

Also, keep in mind, if you've never worn corrective lenses, you don't know how you are supposed to see. So you never know you need glasses unless its OBVIOUS.

I'm excited... look what glasses did for Ricky Vaughn of the Hollywood/Cleveland Indians!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I wear glasses and I can tell you the problem w/ all of the tests is that they are subjective. A lot of people who have just "barely bad" eyes can guess the letter/arrows by shape on the eye chart. So you can have someone w/ slightly bad vision skate through the system for years. It takes a really astute optometrist or patient.

Also, keep in mind, if you've never worn corrective lenses, you don't know how you are supposed to see. So you never know you need glasses unless its OBVIOUS.

I'm excited... look what glasses did for Ricky Vaughn of the Hollywood/Cleveland Indians!
    Yeah, screw the contacts, Limas! Come out with glasses with skulls on 'em!

"I wear glasses and I can tell you the problem w/ all of the tests is that they are subjective. A lot of people who have just "barely bad" eyes can guess the letter/arrows by shape on the eye chart. So you can have someone w/ slightly bad vision skate through the system for years. It takes a really astute optometrist or patient.

Also, keep in mind, if you've never worn corrective lenses, you don't know how you are supposed to see. So you never know you need glasses unless its OBVIOUS."

I agree 100%. I have worn corrective lenses in the past, and I even had lenses that reshaped my eye at one point, and I could wear them for 2 hours and see perfect the rest of the day. But I never even knew I had a problem until I was on a firing range and couldn't see the target clearly. I was like 20/30 or 20/40, and as soon I I put on the glasses I shot and got my expert marksman tab. Since then I have quit wearing the lenses cause they are a pain in the ass, but I have trouble seeing fly balls off the bat or seeing where my 300+ yard drives land. I went in to see if I was a good candidate for lasix and the DR. said "your eyes, although not perfect are good enough and you wouldn't want to take a chance of screwing them up permanently if the laser goes wrong", so I am pissed stuck between wearing a lense or seeing fuzzy at distances.

If I recall correctly Charles Johnson also ended up getting contacts when he was with the Steelers, and it improved his game considerably.

As far as Limas, imagine where he would have been drafted if he could see?