Thread: Offense Rebounds in Drills

Hall of Famer

Offense Rebounds in Drills

Offense rebounds in drills with pair of touchdowns
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
    dlolley@observer-reporter.com

LATROBE - After an opening day in which the offense looked out of sync and the defense dominant, the tables were turned a bit Tuesday at the Steelers training camp at St. Vincent College.

The offense, which struggled to complete passes Monday, scored a pair of touchdowns in two-minute situations Tuesday afternoon with the first and second-team units competing against each other.

Ben Roethlisberger looked sharp leading the first-team offense against its defensive counterparts.

After a sack on first down, he zipped a short wide receiver screen pass to Willie Reid and followed that up with a long third-down pass down the seam to Hines Ward to put the ball at the 24.

Roethlisberger threw incomplete on first down after being pressured by linebacker Lawrence Timmons, but connected with Reid again on a screen for a six-yard gain. Roethlisberger converted the first down with a quick slant to Reid, then spiked the ball with 22 seconds remaining.

On second down, he tossed a short pass to running back Mewelde Moore and was forced to spike the ball again, bringing up fourth down with nine seconds remaining.

The Steelers Pro Bowl quarterback then connected with Nate Washington in front of the goal posts in the back of the end zone for a touchdown with William Gay and James Farrior in coverage.

Not to be outdone, Charlie Batch completed 7-of-7 passes against the second-team defense, throwing to Heath Miller, Gerard Warren and Carey Davis before connecting twice with Dallas Baker to move inside the 20.

He then hit rookie Limas Sweed, a second-round pick, with a pass to move the ball inside the 10 and finished things off with a TD pass to Sweed on a fade pattern. Sweed beat cornerback Anthony Madison on the play.

"They gave it to us pretty good in the offseason," said Batch of the team's defense. "We wanted to come out here and set the tempo and we were able to do that with both offensive groups scoring touchdowns."

Sweed's big day

Sweed didn't just score a touchdown in the two-minute drill, the second-round draft pick had the crowd on hand at the afternoon practice applauding with a couple of long catches down the field, one of which was a diving grab.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said he expects those kind of plays from the 6-4, 220-pound rookie.

"He better, because we're giving him a bunch of reps," said Tomlin. "He's a young guy with a lot of energy. But he's got a ways to go. He's a guy who's capable of taking a lot of reps. He can run all day. We're giving him a bunch of opportunities and he took advantage of them."

Odds and end zones

Cornerback Bryant McFadden (groin), safety Anthony Smith (groin) did not practice Tuesday. ... Tomlin said there is no new information available about the team's three players on the Physically Unable to Perform list - safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring), guard Chris Kemoeatu (triceps) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (conditioning). ... The Steelers will practice twice today. The second practice (3 p.m.) is open to the public.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Offense Rebounds in Drills

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Not to be outdone, Charlie Batch completed 7-of-7 passes against the second-team defense, throwing to Heath Miller, Gerard Warren and Carey Davis before connecting twice with Dallas Baker to move inside the 20.
    I'm assuming he meant WR Gerran Walker instead of former bust 3rd overall pick by the Cleveland Browns Gerard Warren. The only G. Warren on our roster is long snapper Greg, and I don't think he was out running patterns with the 2nd team offense.

Legend

Sounds like Reid continues to show well. Like I said get over the returner stuff and he is a perfect slot receiver who can get yards after he catches the ball.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Sounds like Reid continues to show well. Like I said get over the returner stuff and he is a perfect slot receiver who can get yards after he catches the ball.
    No, I think I'll go with Steve Smith as the perfect slot receiver who can get yards after he catches the ball over Willie Reid. But that's just me.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    No, I think I'll go with Steve Smith as the perfect slot receiver who can get yards after he catches the ball over Willie Reid. But that's just me.
    I said "a perfect slot receiver" not "the perfect slot receiver."

Other than Hines he probably has the best tools for that position of the current Steeler WR corps.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

a TD pass to Sweed on a fade pattern.
    Wow, the fade pattern in the Steelers playbook? I don't remember the last time I saw them try that in the end zone, but it might have been an attempt to Plaxico.

Other than that, I guess the most interesting theme is that Reid was given the opportunity to run with the first group and continues to impress. We will see if he can become the Welker of our O, but what a logjam that would cause at WR if he starts getting slot reps.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    a TD pass to Sweed on a fade pattern.
    Wow, the fade pattern in the Steelers playbook? I don't remember the last time I saw them try that SUCCESSFULLY in the end zone, but it might have been an attempt to Plaxico.

Other than that, I guess the most interesting theme is that Reid was given the opportunity to run with the first group and continues to impress. We will see if he can become the Welker of our O, but what a logjam that would cause at WR if he starts getting slot reps.
    Fixed that for you. I have seen many instances of them trying fade patterns in the end zone with shorter receivers.

and that's a good thing. Washington's contract is up after the season and Hines isn't getting any younger. Reid might well be the #3 within a couple of seasons.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Agreed. Other than the returner issues, I never understood why do many people are down on the guy. What I've seen of him as a receiver I was impressed with.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    I never understood why do many people are down on the guy.
    For me, it's one word.... "injuries".

.... Almost like a Kijana Carter-type situation, IMO.

Yes, he's doing well in camp. Again. ... I just want someone that can play, and not take up space while being on IR. ... I am "cautiously optimistic" at this point.