Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers claim Punter Paul Ernster off waivers

Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers claim Punter Paul Ernster off waivers

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Why does this surprise you? We are shopping in the bargain bin again what else is new in Steeler land. I guess field position doesn't matter when you have an aging defensive line .
    In all defense LVG, what other option is available at this point of the pre-season?... No one expected this to happen, and the quality punters are already on other teams, I would expect, since most of the camps have already started... I don't think we have any choice other than the "bargain bin", do we? .... What are the other options at this point in the process?

Legend

So let me see if I've got this straight...Sepulveda just went down for the season today and we're already supposed to have a top quality replacement for him?

Is that right?

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Why does this surprise you? We are shopping in the bargain bin again what else is new in Steeler land. I guess field position doesn't matter when you have an aging defensive line .
    In all defense LVG, what other option is available at this point of the pre-season?... No one expected this to happen, and the quality punters are already on other teams, I would expect, since most of the camps have already started... I don't think we have any choice other than the "bargain bin", do we? .... What are the other options at this point in the process?
    Of the names listed I have to say Scott Player intrigues me more then this bum. I would even go with Gardocki he knows the team and he knows the players. Why are we so high on Detroit rejects? Cut by the Browns, Cut by the Lions and now a Steeler. Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    So let me see if I've got this straight...Sepulveda just went down for the season today and we're already supposed to have a top quality replacement for him?

Is that right?

I would prefer "suitable". Not some clown cut by 2 bottom dwelling teams. We should fly our happy a.s.s. to Australia and pick up some rugby player that can boot the ball over 100 yards. We get a decent punter and the Steelers save some green.

Legend

Perhaps they want him for a body right away while they continue to look?

Hall of Famer

Why are we so high on Detroit rejects? Cut by the Browns, Cut by the Lions and now a Steeler. Something is terribly wrong with this picture.
    ...Well, as far as the Detroit players go, Hartings sure turned out to be worth it...

I do see your point, though.... But hey, just because he's been out of the NFL and kicking in the Arena League doesn't matter.... Didn't Reed spend a bit of time out of pro ball before we signed him? .... The bottom line is that this completely sucks! Sup raised our poor ST rankings quite a bit last season just by his kicking alone.... I really don't know enough about this new cat so as to make any quality statement, so I'll just "wait and see".

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Is that right?

I would prefer "suitable". Not some clown cut by 2 bottom dwelling teams. We should fly our happy a.s.s. to Australia and pick up some rugby player that can boot the ball over 100 yards. We get a decent punter and the Steelers save some green.
    Can Chadman punt?

As long as the rugby fella from down under has perfected Sepulveda's trademark "Aussie Roll" that prevents touchbacks and helps the team down the ball inside the 20 (I believe Sep had 28 punts downed inside the 20 with only 2 touchbacks all season).

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Is that right?

Can Chadman punt?

As long as the rugby fella from down under has perfected Sepulveda's trademark "Aussie Roll" that prevents touchbacks and helps the team down the ball inside the 20 (I believe Sep had 28 punts downed inside the 20 with only 2 touchbacks all season).
    You are correct.

There are about 256 D-I colleges (I think) and only 32 NFL football teams, of which, not a single one carries two punters. You would think that there has to be a quality leg out there wanting to work in the NFL.

Our scouting department does get paid, correct? Now would be a good time to earn a paycheck and begin the search for an out of work punter from one the other 224 D-I colleges.

Punting can't be that specialized of a skill that only 32 men can perform this job with any type mastery.

Just my 2 cents...

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Perhaps they want him for a body right away while they continue to look?
    $$$

They need to get someone in camp ASAP to work on those pesky special teams drills.

Maybe he will pan out, maybe he won't, but we can ALWAYS look and get another.. and may even be doing that now.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.