Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sweeds' Size Is Sweet

Sweed's size is sweet
    By Mike Bires
    Times Sports Staff
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008

* Limas Sweed is already playing “big.”

The 6-foot-4 rookie wide receiver made two impressive catches at training camp Tuesday that had his teammates and coaches buzzing.

Sweed, the Steelers’ No. 2 draft pick, caught a deep pass early in the afternoon practice in a drill pitting wide receivers against defensive backs.

Later in a two-minute drill, he caught a short touchdown pass on a fade route. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch threw both TD passes that Sweed caught.

After his first impressive catch, coach Mike Tomlin ran up to Sweed and congratulated him by saying, “Hey 14! That’s why we brought you here … to be big!”

On Sunday, Sweed signed a four-year contract worth $3.3 million including a $1.56 million signing bonus.

* As expected, cornerback Bryant McFadden and free safety Anthony Smith sat out practice after suffering minor groins pulls Monday. Their status is day-to-day.

Meanwhile, Tomlin didn’t have any timetable for the return of three players — nose tackle Casey Hampton (overweight), strong safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring pull) and guard Chris Kemoeatu (bruised triceps) — who are on the PUP list.

* With punter Daniel Sepulveda now lost for the season with a knee injury, Batch will become the holder on extra points and field goals. Last year as a rookie, Sepulveda held for kicker Jeff Reed.

“I haven’t done it since college, but I don’t think I’ll have any problems,” said Batch, an 11th-yar pro who held for Reed and backup kicker Julian Rauch at Tuesday’s practices.

* To make room for newly signed punter Paul Ernster, the Steelers released wide receiver Kevin Marion, an undrafted free agent.

* The Steelers practice twice today. The morning practice, closed to the public, starts at 9 a.m. The afternoon practice, which is open to the public, starts at 2:55 p.m.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Sweeds' Size Is Sweet

I'm glad to see Tomlin a bit more comfortable with his plan. He's starting to get animated from what I'm reading which isn't a bad thing at all. I think this man has the makings of a legend (pending how he handles his staff after this year)
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Sweed from a pure talent stand point was better than Plax at this point in his career. Plax was a big man who played small. Sweed is a big man who knows how to use his size. I really think in a couple years people will say Plax who?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Plax who???

[URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

NKY?

First, you WANT everybody... now, you're talking about Sweed's size?

Youre scaring me, man...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    NKY?

First, you WANT everybody... now, you're talking about Sweed's size?

Youre scaring me, man...
    It would have been worse if he were talking about Santonio Holmes' or Jeff Reed's size.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.