Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woodley a beast in drills

Re: Woodley a beast in drills

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime
    What? Are you crazy? Anyone that's anyone knows that Timmons is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Sheesh.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    What? Are you crazy? Anyone that's anyone knows that Timmons is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Sheesh.
    ...Did someone mention Ryan Leaf???....

Seriously though, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to Chad Brown.... But I'd love to be proven wrong! ...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Seriously though, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to Chad Brown.... But I'd love to be proven wrong! ...
    I'm not saying he's the best ILB since Chad Brown, just the most gifted athlete at ILB since Chad Brown. Obviously, Farrior has been the most talented overall ILB since those mid-90's Blitzburgh days, but even though James has been the best football player at that position, he is not the overall athletic specimen that our own Lawrence T is. Whether or not that pure athletic ability can translate to ultimate success on the gridiron has yet to be determined. I was just talking about raw God-given athleticism, that's all.

Hall of Famer

I'm not saying he's the best ILB since Chad Brown, just the most gifted athlete at ILB since Chad Brown. Obviously, Farrior has been the most talented overall ILB since those mid-90's Blitzburgh days, but even though James has been the best football player at that position, he is not the overall athletic specimen that our own Lawrence T is. Whether or not that pure athletic ability can translate to ultimate success on the gridiron has yet to be determined. I was just talking about raw God-given athleticism, that's all.
    I can't argue that at all Ruthless... I just thought it was a bold statement comparing him to the "snake man"... Now, it may in fact be proven so. But until then, I'll withold my judgement... I don't like Fla St guys, but I do "warm" to them once they're Steelers... But they gotta produce... I think he will this season.

Woodley is the next Lawrence taylor. I have to give Colbert credit for that pick.

Hall of Famer

...Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime...
    Here's more to substantiate that claim.....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Timmons could click in new role
    By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The word from Mike Tomlin last week was that his pre-training camp depth chart was written in pencil.

As it turns out, the Steelers' coach doesn't have a depth chart -- at least not one that's been released for public consumption.

The 2008 media guide, for the first time in recent memory, contains no such ranking of would-be Steelers and would-be Steelers starters.

Despite the lack of printed confirmation, there apparently is a pecking order in place from which the Steelers are working at St. Vincent College.

Calls from assistant coaches rang out across campus during practice Monday morning for the first-team offense, the first-team "quarter defense" and the first-team punt team, and in each instance players dutifully responded by either entering or removing themselves from the action.

You gotta start somewhere.

Where the Steelers started revealed a glimpse as to where they might be headed.

Trai Essex, for example, started at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu, who, along with Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton, is physically unable to perform.

Essex figured to be an odd-man out this summer, but perhaps not.

Sean Mahan, ineffective last season as the starting center, figured to fall into the interior guard-center swing-man role. But there was Mahan still starting at center yesterday morning, which was either a ceremonial acknowledgement of his incumbent status or a challenge to newcomer Justin Hartwig.

At linebacker, Larry Foote remained ahead of Lawrence Timmons in the base defense, but it was Timmons who lined up next to James Farrior in the five-defensive backs, two-linebackers "quarter" defense the Steelers would like to feature in obvious passing situations.

Much of the pre-training camp buzz had been generated by an anticipated showdown between Foote and Timmons for the starting inside linebacker's spot next to Farrior.

But it might be that the Steelers are preparing both to play -- Foote on running downs, and Timmons when the Steelers are expecting the pass but still don't want to leave themselves vulnerable against the run.

Timmons' potential in space makes him a perfect candidate to contribute in such situations.

The amount of playing time Timmons would get in the "quarter" would be more than enough to constitute an appropriate progression from rookie to second season for 2007's No. 1 pick.

Timmons was injured at the outset of last year and mostly either overwhelmed or uninvolved thereafter. The Steelers often experimented with where to play him, but he rarely contributed on anything but special teams.

That's changed in the early going at St. Vincent.

"They keyed him into his job," Farrior said. "He has one position. Once he gets that down and learns what the other guys are doing, he's really going to be on the road."

It's all still a work in pencil.

That doesn't mean the handwriting isn't already on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    ...Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime...
    Here's more to substantiate that claim.....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Timmons could click in new role
    By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The word from Mike Tomlin last week was that his pre-training camp depth chart was written in pencil.

As it turns out, the Steelers' coach doesn't have a depth chart -- at least not one that's been released for public consumption.

The 2008 media guide, for the first time in recent memory, contains no such ranking of would-be Steelers and would-be Steelers starters.

Despite the lack of printed confirmation, there apparently is a pecking order in place from which the Steelers are working at St. Vincent College.

Calls from assistant coaches rang out across campus during practice Monday morning for the first-team offense, the first-team "quarter defense" and the first-team punt team, and in each instance players dutifully responded by either entering or removing themselves from the action.

You gotta start somewhere.

Where the Steelers started revealed a glimpse as to where they might be headed.

Trai Essex, for example, started at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu, who, along with Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton, is physically unable to perform.

Essex figured to be an odd-man out this summer, but perhaps not.

Sean Mahan, ineffective last season as the starting center, figured to fall into the interior guard-center swing-man role. But there was Mahan still starting at center yesterday morning, which was either a ceremonial acknowledgement of his incumbent status or a challenge to newcomer Justin Hartwig.

At linebacker, Larry Foote remained ahead of Lawrence Timmons in the base defense, but it was Timmons who lined up next to James Farrior in the five-defensive backs, two-linebackers "quarter" defense the Steelers would like to feature in obvious passing situations.

Much of the pre-training camp buzz had been generated by an anticipated showdown between Foote and Timmons for the starting inside linebacker's spot next to Farrior.

But it might be that the Steelers are preparing both to play -- Foote on running downs, and Timmons when the Steelers are expecting the pass but still don't want to leave themselves vulnerable against the run.

Timmons' potential in space makes him a perfect candidate to contribute in such situations.

The amount of playing time Timmons would get in the "quarter" would be more than enough to constitute an appropriate progression from rookie to second season for 2007's No. 1 pick.

Timmons was injured at the outset of last year and mostly either overwhelmed or uninvolved thereafter. The Steelers often experimented with where to play him, but he rarely contributed on anything but special teams.

That's changed in the early going at St. Vincent.

"They keyed him into his job," Farrior said. "He has one position. Once he gets that down and learns what the other guys are doing, he's really going to be on the road."

It's all still a work in pencil.

That doesn't mean the handwriting isn't already on the wall.

Great read. Kinda makes a fan's mouth water at the defensive prospects this year. I think with all the TE heavies in our own division, Timmons will be an asset in coverage. The athleticism should match well with Heap and Winslow.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.
    Agreed. I especially expect him to tear it up in the first half of the season. He begins his starting career by lining up opposite a pro bowl pass rusher, and beside our best lineman. I expect Harrison to receive more attention at first until Wood proves himself, and I expect Smith to help clear some space for him alowing him to produce.