Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Woodley a beast in drills

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,466

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.
    SMG--I agree he has the ability to reach those type of number. However, the challenge will be when they start to flood his side with receivers and he has to drop back into coverage and then can't pin his ears back and go after the QB. I hope he has improved playing in space because last year he looked somewhat uncomfortable. Opposing coordinators are going to find ways to keep him back on his heels with screens to his side.

    This is why I was really hoping we would go to a 4-3 defense. Get Woodley as a DE and let him pin his ears back and I think he is a perennial 12-13 sack player every year. His responsibilities with covering as a OLB will IMO detract from the sack totals he could possibly achieve.

  2. #12

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Woodley is a beast in drills

    or

    Starks and colon are terrible

    glass half full or empty kind of thing. I think both are correct. This is a mismatch.
    Woodley won't get tested until 1st week of season unless he takes turns over at Marvel's end. Hopefully he won't allow himself to get a false sense of security.

  3. #13
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,677

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    You could be right Shawn. Chadman remembers a few of us touting Woodley in the draft lead-up. Heck- Chadman had pegged him as a 1st round pick. So when he landed with the Steelers in the 2nd round- happy days!
    Unfortunately, he was the only pick I got right last season. He is certainly first round talent that fell because he was a "tweener". That was very fortunate for us.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,431

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.
    SMG--I agree he has the ability to reach those type of number. However, the challenge will be when they start to flood his side with receivers and he has to drop back into coverage and then can't pin his ears back and go after the QB. I hope he has improved playing in space because last year he looked somewhat uncomfortable. Opposing coordinators are going to find ways to keep him back on his heels with screens to his side.

    This is why I was really hoping we would go to a 4-3 defense. Get Woodley as a DE and let him pin his ears back and I think he is a perennial 12-13 sack player every year. His responsibilities with covering as a OLB will IMO detract from the sack totals he could possibly achieve.
    I don't think playing in the 3-4 defense hurt Kevin Greene's sack total very much. I see Woodley as having the ability to put up numbers similar to Greene. I do not see him dropping off into coverage much. That would be a real waste.

  5. #15
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,677

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    LaMarr was basically unblockable in college. When he got PT in the pros he produced. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 12+ sack guy this season.
    SMG--I agree he has the ability to reach those type of number. However, the challenge will be when they start to flood his side with receivers and he has to drop back into coverage and then can't pin his ears back and go after the QB. I hope he has improved playing in space because last year he looked somewhat uncomfortable. Opposing coordinators are going to find ways to keep him back on his heels with screens to his side.

    This is why I was really hoping we would go to a 4-3 defense. Get Woodley as a DE and let him pin his ears back and I think he is a perennial 12-13 sack player every year. His responsibilities with covering as a OLB will IMO detract from the sack totals he could possibly achieve.
    I don't think playing in the 3-4 defense hurt Kevin Greene's sack total very much. I see Woodley as having the ability to put up numbers similar to Greene. I do not see him dropping off into coverage much. That would be a real waste.
    Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.
    ... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...

  7. #17
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    8,759

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.
    ... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  8. #18
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,677

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.
    ... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...
    Greene wasn't right but Woodley does have a nasty streak.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Greene wasn't right but Woodley does have a nasty streak.
    I know, and I agree.... But it was a perfect opportunity for a shameless movie flashback...

  10. #20
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    27,587

    Re: Woodley a beast in drills

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Woodley is more athletic than Kevin Greene...and maybe just as nasty.
    ... But not as crazy... Man, there were times he'd get that look in his eyes that reminded me of that LB in the movie The Program...
    Greene wasn't right but Woodley does have a nasty streak.
    I think it is awesome that Kevin Greene is helping out in camp this year, so he can teach Wood all he knows about being a dominant strong side OLB in a LeBeau 3-4 defense. That, plus Harrison having the same type of intensity and intimidation that Lloyd once had, Timmons being the most athletic ILB we've had since Chad Brown in his prime, and Farrior playing the role of the steady vet like Kirkland, means that Blitzburgh could indeed be back, baby.


    Ruthless 2017 Mock Draft:
    1.30 ILB Zach Cunningham 6'3" 234 Vanderbilt
    2.62 OLB Jordan Willis 6'4" 255 Kansas State
    3.94 CB Sidney Jones 6'0" 186 Washington
    3.105c DE Tanoh Kpassagnon 6'7" 289 Villanova
    4.135 CB Rasul Douglas 6'2" 209 West Virginia
    5.173 RB James Conner 6'1" 233 Pittsburgh
    6.213 SS Lorenzo Jerome 5'10" 204 St. Francis
    7.248 TE Michael Roberts 6'4" 270 Toledo

    2015 MNF Executive Champion!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •