Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irrelevant Offseason "Updates"

Legend

User Info Menu

Irrelevant Offseason "Updates"

I haven't posted much lately, so some of this is a little old, but my Mom actually had some interesting Steelers sightings in the offseason that I thought I would share. What's amazing is that you'd never expect my Mom to be a sports fan at all, but she sends me updates all the time on local Steelers news.

My Mom goes to a gym (for the sake of the players involved, I won't divulge the name), and one day was on the walking track which, I understand, is above the basketball court. Normally, it was the typical mix that you'd expect at a suburban gym -- guys in their 40s, most with at least one brace, at least one with the rec specs. One day she noticed somebody noticeably bigger, younger, more athletic. Somebody that just stood out, even at a glance. Turns out, it was Big Ben! Apparently, he played a lot of basketball in the offseason (this was before OTAs, IIRC). She said he seemed like a nice guy, and heard that he liked playing out in the 'burbs because people would kind of let him just be one of the guys without too much fuss.

In May or so, my Mom ended up about half a dozen people in front of Casey Hampton in the security line at Pittsburgh airport. She said he waddled more than walked, at that even though it was pretty cool, he was wearing shorts and sweating quite a bit. On the little tram that takes you to the gates, he sat on the back bench, and then whole thing really shook. Said that he just looked very labored in his movements, so I'm not too surprised about the run test.

Finally, at the gym about a week before camp started, she saw Chris Hoke there. For what it's worth, she said he looks like more of an athlete than Hampton, but I'm pretty sure that we could all come to that same conclusion. Jason Gildon was there one two, and the two of them worked out together. Gildon recognized her from a store where she used to work, and gave a familiar type hello. It really made her day.

It absolutely amazes me how often she sees the Steelers around Pittsburgh. I always love getting the updates.

Hopefully the rest of you found this at least mildly interesting. I haven't posted much lately, so thought I'd contribute something as the board starts to awaken from the offseason hibernation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Irrelevant Offseason "Updates"

Philly, I give your mom credit for going out and getting some exercise in.... Many don't. My mom just had a knee replacement, and I'm still trying to get her going.... And she (your mom) is quite lucky to cross paths with some Steeler players.... It's amazing how paths cross with folks we view as "celebrities".....

I've had Jessica Beil, Jeff Foxworthy, Sidney Portier, and Howy Long on various flights out to LA over the last few weeks.... Howy was so ultimately cool and considerate. ... Much different from Carson Palmer, who I took from Orange Co. to Cincy...... He behaved like an ass....

....Tell your mom to continue exercising and carry a pen for autographs.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I always enjoy reading stuff like this!! I'm surpised that Hampton was able to get 5 of the 8 sprints under his belt from the way his condition sounds.

I caught some video footage of camp on the webpage of one of the news channels in Pittsburgh & Casey looked very lonely running by himself. He looked like a kid who got in big trouble!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    ...I'm surpised that Hampton was able to get 5 of the 8 sprints under his belt from the way his condition sounds...
    Man, not being able to complete the conditioning test, knowing that you have to do it, and not being in shape for it .... Is pathetic, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Philly, I give your mom credit for going out and getting some exercise in.... Many don't. My mom just had a knee replacement, and I'm still trying to get her going.... And she (your mom) is quite lucky to cross paths with some Steeler players.... It's amazing how paths cross with folks we view as "celebrities".....

I've had Jessica Beil, Jeff Foxworthy, Sidney Portier, and Howy Long on various flights out to LA over the last few weeks.... Howy was so ultimately cool and considerate. ... Much different from Carson Palmer, who I took from Orange Co. to Cincy...... He behaved like an ass....

Wow. As cool as it would be to see the Steelers out and about, I wouldn't mind sharing a flight with Jessica Beil either!

Starter

User Info Menu

...I'm surpised that Hampton was able to get 5 of the 8 sprints under his belt from the way his condition sounds...
    Man, not being able to complete the conditioning test, knowing that you have to do it, and not being in shape for it .... Is pathetic, IMO.
    What I find pathetic is the fact that he came into camp so overweight when his weight obviously hindered him last season.And no attempt at trying to slim down.

Legend

User Info Menu

NKY- you're a flight attendant right?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

Wow. As cool as it would be to see the Steelers out and about, I wouldn't mind sharing a flight with Jessica Beil either!
    Hey! Where's the jetway to the terminal?!?! You made Jessica Biel walk down the stairs onto the freaking tarmac??? Tsk, tsk...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    What I find pathetic is the fact that he came into camp so overweight when his weight obviously hindered him last season.And no attempt at trying to slim down.
    He adopted the CC Sabathia diet, I tell ya all!!!

With the billions in jack that the NFL has floating around, you'd think Hampton would mix in a salad every now and again with the share he's earned. Hampton is a helluva player, but he's getting to that point in his career/life where he needs to watch what the hell he's doing diet and exercise-wise.

The Big Snack needs fewer Cheetos and more carrots.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

BIG FAN

I quite enjoy stuff like this post as well. Good post phillyesq.
    And Les, thanks for being the collective social conscious on the the big fat snack.(Although I personally think you went a little too easy on him.)
    Good to have you back Bro.