Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First game

Re: First game

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    The way all the doom and gloomers talk about our schedule even the bye week might be a tough loss...
    Doom and gloom my azc!!!!!...... We may fall behind in the schedule, Carson Palmer completes more than Chaddy can complain about, Mendy runs for double-digits TDs, or dogs and cats might start living together, or...... or....... John McCain might get elected!......
    ....That's "doom and gloom" enough for all of us!!!!...... Crap!!! Where's my passport?!
    Screw a passport. I'm gonna sneak onto one of your flights somehow...Mexico is nice this time of year?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Game 1 can't be taken for granted, especially with a divisional road game coming up next.

Houston should be a stiff test. I don't think any of the AFC South matchups will be light touches. But, I'll go with Ozey and say that the OL will find a way to "click" and fend off what appears to be a formidable Texan rush.

BTW, I'd heard a while back that we were going to have a "Planet Steelers" game earmarked where board members were going to get to a select game and just hang out, tailgate, etc. Has this idea gotten any legs at all? It sounded like a great idea at the time. Any comments on this would be welcome.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

After New England, San Diego, Indy, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh, I think that the final playoff spot in the AFC might come down to a team like Houston or Buffalo (as opposed to a one-sided media darling team like Cleveland). I may give the early (slight) edge to the Bills since they play in a weaker division, but I don't think you can count the Texans among the little sisters of the poor anymore. Since we get them in week one, though, we may get the benefit of having Hines, Santonio, Nate, and Limas attacking a secondary that might still be missing its best cover guy in Dunta Robinson for the early part of the season. Hopefully the o-line will be able to block their young studs up front like Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, and Travis Johnson for long enough to give Ben time to find his plethora of targets.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    there are no breaks in our schedule at all this season outside of the bye week.
    Costanza,are you forgetting about us playing the Bungles twice a season????Thats two easy wins right off the bat.
    Sorry bro, but I'm not calling the Bengal games a "gimme" just yet.... Things could change, and they do have some talent. If you go back thru our history, the Bengals have presented quite a challenge even when they had a bad season. We would split the series.... But of course, that hasn't been the deal over the last few years..... ...
    I usually dont think of too many games as gimmes, it always seems that out of anybody we play our division opp. always seem to play harder against us than who they played the week before, and definitely the week after we beat up on them.
    As far as Hou. goes, it will be a good test of the lines. I think we put em down though.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    After New England, San Diego, Indy, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh, I think that the final playoff spot in the AFC might come down to a team like Houston or Buffalo (as opposed to a one-sided media darling team like Cleveland). I may give the early (slight) edge to the Bills since they play in a weaker division, but I don't think you can count the Texans among the little sisters of the poor anymore. Since we get them in week one, though, we may get the benefit of having Hines, Santonio, Nate, and Limas attacking a secondary that might still be missing its best cover guy in Dunta Robinson for the early part of the season. Hopefully the o-line will be able to block their young studs up front like Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, and Travis Johnson for long enough to give Ben time to find his plethora of targets.
    This is exactly what is happening down south. These are the up and coming Texans, they might fall on their collective faces by not scoring mega-points, but they have the makings of a killer D. proof more that this first game like any other is not a gimme.
    On the brighter side I think we go after Schaub with a passion.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Game 1 can't be taken for granted, especially with a divisional road game coming up next.

Houston should be a stiff test. I don't think any of the AFC South matchups will be light touches. But, I'll go with Ozey and say that the OL will find a way to "click" and fend off what appears to be a formidable Texan rush.

BTW, I'd heard a while back that we were going to have a "Planet Steelers" game earmarked where board members were going to get to a select game and just hang out, tailgate, etc. Has this idea gotten any legs at all? It sounded like a great idea at the time. Any comments on this would be welcome.
    that would be awsome. i dont make it out to the burgh all that often but i am going to the ravens game this year and im always down to tailgate

it's only July, but as of right now I would expect a high scoring game in week 1.
    I expect the Texans to come out like they did a year ago when Schaub was averaging 8 YPA and Andre Johnson and Ahmad Green were healthy. Their offensive line has got better as well. Texans may not have Corner Dunta robinson. I would expect the Steelers will go to work in that area and could lite up the scoreboard provided they can contain the D - line.

Game one should be an immediate test for our defense. Houston has some weapons. Our first test defensively. They are going to want to run the ball with Chris Brown and Ahman Green. And since their running style is one cut and go, it is going to be a nice test for our run defense. And don't forget about Schaub and Andre Johnson while being moved all over the pocket.

Williams and Okoye are going to test our revamped line in the passing game. Whomever wins the RT is going to have his hands full.

Lastly the Texans have a solid return game and special teams. So it is going to be a battle early.

...It is not going to be easy beating the bengals twice. They always seem to get us at least once no matter how good or bad we are. Although I worry more about the browns this year, and going to Baltimore.

LETS GET IT ON!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.