Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports Training camp update

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports Training camp update

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If you are going to use a tackle at guard, I would have preferred to have them move Colon inside to LG while Kemo is out, putting the $7,000,000 man back in the starting lineup at RT. Then by the time Kemo comes back, perhaps Colon has already impressed the coaches enough at LG, and Kemo can battle with Simmons at RT (I think the mauling Kemo is better fit at RG than as a LG that should be more athletic than Kemo's 344 lbs.). I think the best combination of guys would be: Smith-Colon-Hartwig-Kemoeatu-Starks. You have veteran depth along the interior line with Simmons and Mahan plus the upstart Stephenson. The depth at tackle is obviously weaker with the likes of Essex, Hills, Capizzi, and Parquet, but if something happened to Smith or Starks, you could just move Colon back to tackle and insert Simmons as a starting guard again like last year.
    Maybe unbeknownst to us, Essex has proven to be a legitimate guard?!

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If you are going to use a tackle at guard, I would have preferred to have them move Colon inside to LG while Kemo is out, putting the $7,000,000 man back in the starting lineup at RT. Then by the time Kemo comes back, perhaps Colon has already impressed the coaches enough at LG, and Kemo can battle with Simmons at RT (I think the mauling Kemo is better fit at RG than as a LG that should be more athletic than Kemo's 344 lbs.). I think the best combination of guys would be: Smith-Colon-Hartwig-Kemoeatu-Starks. You have veteran depth along the interior line with Simmons and Mahan plus the upstart Stephenson. The depth at tackle is obviously weaker with the likes of Essex, Hills, Capizzi, and Parquet, but if something happened to Smith or Starks, you could just move Colon back to tackle and insert Simmons as a starting guard again like last year.
    Maybe unbeknownst to us, Essex has proven to be a legitimate guard?!
    Don't forget. Both Tomlin and Coach Z seem to value linemen who can play multiple positions. Look at what we have:

Smith: LT and RT
    Starks: RT and LT
    Colon: RT and G
    Simmons: both G
    Mahan: C, both G
    Kemo: both G
    Essex: LT and LG
    Stapleton: C and G

Guys on this OL who only play one position may be doing themseleves a disservice and lessening their chances of making this team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Thats true Oviedo, I just got excited at the prospect of one of our last 4 3rd round draft picks actually producing.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is the latest update:

2:50 p.m. Word is Limas Sweed did not look out of place this morning during the 9 on 7 drills. A insider told me, what Sweed needs to work on is his separation at the line of scrimmage. Once he gets going in the open field his talent takes over and he's going to be a mis-match for defenses. Look for the offensive coaches to be working with Sweed primarily on his first couple steps to create separation against the bigger/faster cornerbacks he will be facing in the NFL.

2:35 p.m. Steelers are getting ready to take the field around 2:50. Santonio Holmes appears to have got what he wanted today - a chance to return punts. Holmes has been pressuring the coaching staff to let him be the teams primary punt returner. Travis Williams is another undrafted rookie to keep an eye on in the preseason. Williams is obviously a longshot to make the squad but there are some insiders who think he's one of those projection players that may develop into a contributor down the road. If Williams performs well he could make the practice squad. Williams and Jeremy Bloom also returned punts this morning.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The blog in the link seems like a great resource! I love updates like that. I realize that it's just the beginning of camp, but these updates are fantastic. I'll have to add it to the list of those that I monitor during camp. Out of curiosity, does anybody know who the author is?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    The blog in the link seems like a great resource! I love updates like that. I realize that it's just the beginning of camp, but these updates are fantastic. I'll have to add it to the list of those that I monitor during camp. Out of curiosity, does anybody know who the author is?
    The site is administered by someone named DePaoli, who posts quite often himself. He seems to be more of a hockey guy than a football guy (he delves big time into any NHL rumors around the trade deadline or free agency signing period), but he also has guys that work for him that are more involved in the football and baseball too. It used to be called "Buzz on the Burgh" but then was reborn as "The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports." I check in on TIOPS every so often, but I also like Dale Lolley's blog during football season as well, since his focus is solely on the Steelers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.