Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faneca was the problem

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Faneca was the problem

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    And Colon said Faneca did anything but try to sabotage Zierlein in the coach's first season in charge of the Steelers' offensive line.
    This sentence from the article makes no sense. He did everything BUT try to sabotage? That means Faneca was trying to help the way it's written. Mistype?

It's always easy to blame the player that left and was vocal about it. Maybe he had a down year but I find it hard to put all the blame on one of the Steelers all-time greatest lineman.
    I guess if Faneca was trying to help, wouldn't Colon simply have stated that Faneca did everything possible to make Zeirlein's first year a success, rather than the non-sensical statement that was printed.

I read it, didn't understand the statement, but assumed that Colon would have been able to convey a positive message with more clarity than the statement given.

Pappy
    I read it as he didn't blatantly sabatoge what was going on, but he was a very reluctant participant to the activities and didn't go out of his way to make things sucessful. That fits clearly with what Colon was saying.

People are always quick to blame coaches, but it is the players who have to execute. Faneca may be a fan favorite, but that clearly doesn't mean he does things right all the time and there may have been a lapse in professional integrity as indicated by Colon.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

And Colon said Faneca did anything but try to sabotage Zierlein in the coach's first season in charge of the Steelers' offensive line.
    This sentence from the article makes no sense. He did everything BUT try to sabotage? That means Faneca was trying to help the way it's written. Mistype?

It's always easy to blame the player that left and was vocal about it. Maybe he had a down year but I find it hard to put all the blame on one of the Steelers all-time greatest lineman.
    My interpretation of the intent behind that statement was that although Faneca didn't overtly try to sabotage Zeirlein by saying "#$%& you, I'm not listening to what you say, I'm doing things my way and my way only," he wasn't supportive of his new o-line coach by any means nor welcome to any of the changes he was trying to implement. Big Red seems to have issues with change ever since his comments about playing with a rookie QB after Maddox was injured, which reared its ugly head again last year when his boys Whis and Grimm were not retained. Basically, he was a pain in the @$$ without being outwardly defiant toward the coaching staff. Since young players tend to emulate established Pro Bowlers, that made it difficult for everyone, since the other linemen were hearing one thing from Zeirlein and another thing entirely from Alan. Now that everyone seems to be on board and on the same page, there can hopefully be one unified message being received by everyone.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

My interpretation of the intent behind that statement was that although Faneca didn't overtly try to sabotage Zeirlein by saying "#$%& you, I'm not listening to what you say, I'm doing things my way and my way only," he wasn't supportive of his new o-line coach by any means nor welcome to any of the changes he was trying to implement. Big Red seems to have issues with change ever since his comments about playing with a rookie QB after Maddox was injured, which reared its ugly head again last year when his boys Whis and Grimm were not retained. Basically, he was a pain in the @$$ without being outwardly defiant toward the coaching staff. Since young players tend to emulate established Pro Bowlers, that made it difficult for everyone, since the other linemen were hearing one thing from Zeirlein and another thing entirely from Alan. Now that everyone seems to be on board and on the same page, there can hopefully be one unified message being received by everyone.

Very nicely put.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can see how he would be a problem. Let's see, rips into rookie QB who ended up winning him a SB, ripped into the owner's decision to hire Tomlin and not Grimm who BTW still isn't a head coach anywhere...the man just doesn't like change. I wonder how he's enjoying the current change he's in. I guess money allows him to take it in easier. All Pro, great Steeler, but a wuss when it comes to reality-$hit changes all the time get used to it.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...