Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faneca was the problem

Legend

User Info Menu

Faneca was the problem

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_579742.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 79742.html[/url]

Good read on the OL. It clearly indicates that Faneca was the problem last year and resisted the new things the coach was trying to do. Maybe Mahan was the scapegoated, but possibly he was doing the right things with the guy on his left not doing what he was suppose to do.

I've been saying that the OL will be better this year and I still think so. Good ridance with Faneca being gone. I hope he enjoys losing because all indications are he starting being a loser last year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Faneca was the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_579742.html

Good read on the OL. It clearly indicates that Faneca was the problem last year and resisted the new things the coach was trying to do. Maybe Mahan was the scapegoated, but possibly he was doing the right things with the guy on his left not doing what he was suppose to do.

I've been saying that the OL will be better this year and I still think so. Good ridance with Faneca being gone. I hope he enjoys losing because all indications are he starting being a loser last year.
    It had to figure he had a finger or two in it. As much as I liked Alan I thought his play was slowly but, surely slipping. IMO his pass D amongst others was terrible last season. Now we know why. I was happy to see him go after all the bad vibes. I hope he is happy being a loser in NY. Thanks to Colon for speaking up.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_579742.html

It had to figure he had a finger or two in it. As much as I liked Alan I thought his play was slowly but, surely slipping. IMO his pass D amongst others was terrible last season. Now we know why. I was happy to see him go after all the bad vibes. I hope he is happy being a loser in NY. Thanks to Colon for speaking up.
    I really think it shows leadership on Colon's part for setting the record straight. I'd like to see Colon move inside to Guard and get Starks back at RT. Sounds like Starks came in ready to do something.

I hope Faneca becomes an embrassment in NY with poor play.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Steely76

Not defending Faneca, I didn't like his attitude last year, but Mahan looking like a revolving door had nothing to do with Faneca.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steely76
    Not defending Faneca, I didn't like his attitude last year, but Mahan looking like a revolving door had nothing to do with Faneca.
    I agree Steely. Mahan was bad last yr. However, Faneca was terrible in pass blocking as well. Good luck alan playing with noodle arm Pennington who wont save you 15 sacks like Ben did.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure Faneca played a role but come on...Mahan was a revolving door. How is Faneca supposed to keep Mahan from gettin planted on his backside?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I'm sure Faneca played a role but come on...Mahan was a revolving door. How is Faneca supposed to keep Mahan from gettin planted on his backside?
    I don't think it was his play so much as his attitude and potential undermining of what Zeirlein was expecting of the entire offensive line. I'm not a Zeirlein fan, but, if your all-pro veteran OG isn't on board with your teaching style and blocking schemes it could pose a problem and it may very well have, we don't know. Willie Colon seems to think so.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

And Colon said Faneca did anything but try to sabotage Zierlein in the coach's first season in charge of the Steelers' offensive line.
    This sentence from the article makes no sense. He did everything BUT try to sabotage? That means Faneca was trying to help the way it's written. Mistype?

It's always easy to blame the player that left and was vocal about it. Maybe he had a down year but I find it hard to put all the blame on one of the Steelers all-time greatest lineman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    And Colon said Faneca did anything but try to sabotage Zierlein in the coach's first season in charge of the Steelers' offensive line.
    This sentence from the article makes no sense. He did everything BUT try to sabotage? That means Faneca was trying to help the way it's written. Mistype?

It's always easy to blame the player that left and was vocal about it. Maybe he had a down year but I find it hard to put all the blame on one of the Steelers all-time greatest lineman.
    I guess if Faneca was trying to help, wouldn't Colon simply have stated that Faneca did everything possible to make Zeirlein's first year a success, rather than the non-sensical statement that was printed.

I read it, didn't understand the statement, but assumed that Colon would have been able to convey a positive message with more clarity than the statement given.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We all knew Faneca was unhappy but I didn't think he would actually try and undermine the coaches. Certainly interesting comments made by Colon. He really sticks his neck out making them being a relative new guy throwing a Pro Bowl lineman and former teammate under the bus. I hope the statements are true and the other linemen don't hang Willie out to dry and back him up. My worry is Faneca still has good friends on the team and this will cause a rift amongst the linemen.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!