Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickin' Renegade to the curb

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Kickin' Renegade to the curb

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Are you serious? Rush?

My vote is for Metallica...Enter Sandman. Now thats what I'm talking about.
    Did you even listen to the song or read the lyrics? It's perfect.

As for Metalica...bleh...I've got them highly ranked on my most over rated bands of all time list. Somewhere near Styx! :P
    You're right, D. Metalica is the Fargo of rock.

My vote? Anything that will get me to a game in The Burgh!!!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Metallica is a great band. So great and so popular that people call them overated or terrible because they think it makes them sound like some aficionado who's taste in music is on a higher scale than the rest of us. Its cool. You can like what you like, but you can't deny that Metallica has produced some great music and has been able to sustain their popularity for a long time.

And no, I'm not a big fan of Renegade. But I do like Styx

I actually bought Dennis Deyoungs solo album, Desert Moon ,when it came out

I was 11.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"Click, Click, Boom" by Saliva would be good but they have already whored the song around to so many things (Play Station, WWE, the Super Bowl, ect) that it would be cliche to use.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Metallica is a great band. So great and so popular that people call them overated or terrible because they think it makes them sound like some aficionado who's taste in music is on a higher scale than the rest of us. Its cool. You can like what you like, but you can't deny that Metallica has produced some great music and has been able to sustain their popularity for a long time.

I was 11.
    Music is all about personal tastes my friend. I don't like Metalica. Never have and never will. I don't think their songs are that good, I don't think the writing is that good (lyrics) and I don't think the musicianship is that good. Popularity doesn't mean squat...Britney Spears has sold a ton of records too. So have a lot of other sub-par artists. The Bee Gees...ABBA...the list goes on.

As for Styx, they've had a few songs that I liked, but overall I think they sold a lot of records because they had some big hits with some schlocky songs. Loreli...Mr. Roboto...come on! :P

Just to prove to you that I'm not BSing, here's a Styx song that I like. Snowblind from the Paradise Theater album. Ignore the cheesy video the person posting to youtube used. Just listen to the song.

[youtube:vljgrcxw]/v/QdMEQ2fU7HA&hl[/youtube:vljgrcxw]

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "my taste in music is better than yours" thread. I simply stated that I believe Metalica to be over rated as a band. That's all. If you like them that's fine with me...it's all good my friend.

As far as buying DeYoung's solo album...hey, we all screw up every now and then. I bought Eddy Grant's "Killer On The Rampage" because of "Electric Avenue". It didn't take me long to realize the mistake I'd made, but still .

Djfan - I see what you did there...nice try!

Starter

User Info Menu

not a Styx fan per se, but i dig Renegade. The way the song opens in
    a capella gives me chills...when that song is on the radio i crank that ****e
    and imagine our D layin' cats out.

IF we HAD to change the song i would recommend Pantera's 'Respect Walk' (I know you are not a fan of this song D) or Saul Williams - 'List of Demands'.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ghetto, I'm a huge PanterA fan, and walk is a great song. but it's a song that would never be used
    bullet for my valentines - 4 words to choke upon would also be a good song.
    Bulldozer from machine head
    the blood, the sweat, the tears- also from machine head
    but those songs are too agressive and the hippies wouldn't like it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

I was 11.
    Music is all about personal tastes my friend. I don't like Metalica. Never have and never will. I don't think their songs are that good, I don't think the writing is that good (lyrics) and I don't think the musicianship is that good. Popularity doesn't mean squat...Britney Spears has sold a ton of records too. So have a lot of other sub-par artists. The Bee Gees...ABBA...the list goes on.

As for Styx, they've had a few songs that I liked, but overall I think they sold a lot of records because they had some big hits with some schlocky songs. Loreli...Mr. Roboto...come on! :P

Just to prove to you that I'm not BSing, here's a Styx song that I like. Snowblind from the Paradise Theater album. Ignore the cheesy video the person posting to youtube used. Just listen to the song.

[youtube:3v2c2xe7]/v/QdMEQ2fU7HA&hl[/youtube:3v2c2xe7]

I wasn't trying to turn this into a "my taste in music is better than yours" thread. I simply stated that I believe Metalica to be over rated as a band. That's all. If you like them that's fine with me...it's all good my friend.

As far as buying DeYoung's solo album...hey, we all screw up every now and then. I bought Eddy Grant's "Killer On The Rampage" because of "Electric Avenue". It didn't take me long to realize the mistake I'd made, but still .

Djfan - I see what you did there...nice try!
    What's wrong with the Bee Gees????

Like you said, music is all about personal taste. People will over rate the music they like and under rate the music they don't. I just think that when a band is able to sustain the kind of popularity that Metallica has, for such a long time - then there's gotta to be something behind it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i hate styk and rennegade, but when ever i hear that song i get pumped up and think about the steelers. i guess i dont hate the song since i have such a good association with it. i love old metallica but there are so many better songs than enter sandman. i love hip hop rap and a wide variety of rock, unfortunately there are few rap songs that can be played at any kind of sporting event because of language. that being said my choice would either be cowboys from hell by pantera or in your face by 311. i actually hate pantera and i think they are trash, but for some reason that song makes me wanna rip off someones head

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Renegade stays....Great song!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i hate styk and rennegade, but when ever i hear that song i get pumped up and think about the steelers. i guess i dont hate the song since i have such a good association with it. i love old metallica but there are so many better songs than enter sandman. i love hip hop rap and a wide variety of rock, unfortunately there are few rap songs that can be played at any kind of sporting event because of language. that being said my choice would either be cowboys from hell by pantera or in your face by 311. i actually hate pantera and i think they are trash, but for some reason that song makes me wanna rip off someones head
    I woulda said CFH to by PanterA but that song was written after the boys met the cokeboys (they're from dallas and all fans of the girls-except phil who is from NO)
    but CHF, great song. I have the logo tat'd on my head. no joke. they made me want to pick up the guitar which has essentially been my biggest love for 19 years.,