Thread: NY Jets sign

Legend

User Info Menu

NY Jets sign

Mike Mamula, I mean, Vernon Gholston.

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/NY+Jets/Features/2008/sohn072508.htm"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... 072508.htm[/url]

The Jets and first-round pick Vernon Gholston agreed to terms on a five-year deal early Friday morning, according to a story on the New York Daily News' Web site. According to a league source, the deal — one of the richest in Jets history — is worth a maximum value of more than $40 million and includes at least $20 million in guarantees.

The sixth pick in the draft, Gholston is expected to provide a strong pass-rushing presence to a club that struggled in getting after the quarterback in 2007. As a junior at Ohio State last season, Gholston racked up 14 sacks en route to winning Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year honors.

Gholston was the first of the Jets’ two first-round picks. The other, TE Dustin Keller, finalized his deal earlier in the week.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: NY Jets sign

I hate OSU just as much as the next guy (Especially if that next guy is the starting QB for the Bengals), but I think Gholston will actually be successful in the NFL.

Although the Jets have proven that they know how to misuse talent on defense better than almost any team in the NFL, so it might be a while until he proves himself...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: NY Jets sign

Yes I'm an OSU homer...but yall know I'm tough on their talent.
    Gholston has more talent than anyone I have seen at his position
    in many many years. The only problem the kid has is motivation.
    He takes plays off...shoot he will take games off...go through the
    movements. But, if properly motivated he could become the best in
    the league. Only time will tell.
    Trolls are people too.