Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bradshaw/Steelers bad feelings

Legend

User Info Menu

Bradshaw/Steelers bad feelings

Can any of you guys help me out? A guy at work asked me why Terry Bradshaw stayed away from Pittsburgh and the Steelers for so many years before finally coming back into the fold.

I was stumped.

I had never really thought about it before because it all took place in the days before the internet so at the time, being a Steelers fan in tiny Amberg, WI (google it and you'll see what I mean) I had no idea it was even going on. If it wasn't covered on any of the 3 channels we had, brought up on George Michael's Sports Machine or written about in the few magazines that the school library subscribed to then I didn't have any way to follow it.

And honestly, after all this time I never even thought to research it to see exactly what it was that took place...until my co-worker asked me about it. He brought it up because he thinks that Favre is going to wind up having the same animosity towards Green Bay and the Packers as Bradshaw did towards Pittsburgh and the Steelers.

I told him if I had Favre's money I wouldn't want anything to do with Green Bay ever again regardless of what happens!

Anyway, I did some googling on the topic and wasn't able to find much...can anyone lend some insight or point me in the right direction on the WWW?

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, FWP rules!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bradshaw/Steelers bad feelings

well i have very little insight on the subject due to my age but from what i understand farve's case with gb is completely different. bradshaw has suffered from depression severely and had a very rough rookie year. steeler fans an gb fans are totally different. gb fans are just as passionate but they are not nearly as critical or synical towards players that dont meet expectations. to think bradshaw was booed in his last game in the nfl is kind of sad. it was a playoff game but still. do you think brett farve would ever get booed in gb as a packer? i highly doubt it. one interview i have seen bradshaw in he told this story of his rookie year he stopped in at a bar to get a six pack and he was booed, in a bar!!! thats pretty crappy

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure there's more to it but I thought it was largley based on Bradshaw feeling slighted by the Steelers after he retired in '83. Not giving him enough credit for the SB wins. There was also some bad blood b/t he and Noll.

I always thought it was mostly in Bradshaw's head. Maybe someone else can elaborate. People went crazy back in '02 when he came to a game to be recognized for the Hall of Fame.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

is it true he was not in attendence at art sr's funeral? if so that is really awful. i was pretty pi$$ed that he wasnt at the 05 sb. montana wanting money to show up was bad but he was never a steeler. franco represented though

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    is it true he was not in attendence at art sr's funeral? if so that is really awful. i was pretty pi$$ed that he wasnt at the 05 sb. montana wanting money to show up was bad but he was never a steeler. franco represented though
    Bradshaw has come out and said it was a huge mistake on his part and he regrets it deeply that he did not attend Art's funeral.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys...if you have any links to articles or whatever I would greatly appreciate that as well!

Frank - Packers fans are very critical of their players as well...but they are also fairly respectful. They will criticize a guy, call him a bum and want to run him out of town, but to his face they would treat him with the utmost respect. That I will give them credit for, as much as it stings me to give them any credit for anything!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Thanks for the info guys...if you have any links to articles or whatever I would greatly appreciate that as well!

Frank - Packers fans are very critical of their players as well...but they are also fairly respectful. They will criticize a guy, call him a bum and want to run him out of town, but to his face they would treat him with the utmost respect. That I will give them credit for, as much as it stings me to give them any credit for anything!
    so i guess they never dumped trash on don majkowski's front lawn

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Not that I'm aware of, but if they did I'm certain it would have been done at a time when he wasn't home or was sleeping...cuz they'd never do it to his face!

Also, I have spoken with many people in the local media here...guys who have been covering the Packers for many, many years...and there is no truth to the rumors that a fan killed Dan Devine's dog.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":tqmr4c6e

Not that I'm aware of, but if they did I'm certain it would have been done at a time when he wasn't home or was sleeping...cuz they'd never do it to his face!

Also, I have spoken with many people in the local media here...guys who have been covering the Packers for many, many years...and there is no truth to the rumors that a fan killed Dan Devine's dog.[/quote:tqmr4c6e]

holy crap ive never even heard that. thank god there is no truth in that. talk about extreme geez

motter1975

I can't remember the exact details of why he had such bad feelings towards Pittsburgh, but I know he talks about it in great detail in his book, "It's Only a Game". The book is really funny. Sometimes it's a little hard to follow because it jumps around so much, but it's great. And it definitely gives some insight into how Terry perceived his experience in Pittsburgh. Don't want to get into too many details, because like I said, I can't remember them exactly, and I don't want to get it wrong, but I know he definitely did not feel loved by the fans during his time here, and had some definite problems with Noll. You can definitey see how his attitude is changed now, though, and he has moved beyond most of his bad feelings. Anyway, the book is well worth the read.