Thread: Tressel thinks Pryor will catch on fast

Hall of Famer

Tressel thinks Pryor will catch on fast

Against my better judgement, I'm posting this for all of you "less fortunate" fans....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tressel thinks Pryor will catch on fast
    July 24, 2008
    Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg

CHICAGO -- Terrelle Pryor's toughest tests this fall might not come on the practice field or in the meeting rooms, but when he ventures outside the Ohio State football complex.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel expects Pryor, the nation's top-ranked incoming freshman, to be ahead of the curve in grasping the Buckeyes' offense and the demands it places on a quarterback. Tressel cited Pryor's extensive experience as a high school star -- lengthy playoff runs allowed him to play in 16 games in each of the last two seasons -- and his familiarity with different types of systems.

"They did all kinds of spread, wing-T versions, a lot of different things," Tressel said. "He has a little bit of an advantage. He's played so many games and done so many different things that it's just a matter of ... I don't think we do anything that he hasn't done. Now he will need to learn what we call it. I don't think there's going to be an unusual strain on him because of that."

What could weigh on Pryor is the amount of attention placed on him as an incoming freshman. Though senior Todd Boeckman will start at quarterback this season, much of the preseason buzz has centered on how Ohio State will use the multitalented Pryor this season.

Tressel said Pryor looks forward to learning from Boeckman, but as a perfectionist, the freshman wants to contribute from Day 1.

"He wants to please everybody," Tressel said. "He wants to make sure he's answering the question right or throwing the ball to the right place. ... I don't think you can disregard all the attention that he's got. He wants to come though. That's the kind of kid he is."

Many have wondered whether Ohio State will use Boeckman and Pryor much like Florida used senior Chris Leak and freshman Tim Tebow in 2006. Training camp will largely determine the Buckeyes' course of action, but Pryor won't wait long to get on the field.

"Especially in the early season, we've always tried to use multiple quarterbacks, just because over the course of the season, you never know how health is going to go and so forth," Tressel said. "Any time you can maximize the talent that you have. It's not unlike using some other receivers at different times. Absolutely, (using two quarterbacks) can happen."

Re: Tressel thinks Pryor will catch on fast

Excellent display of judgement you have shown by posting this...just one more reason
    OSU will be playing in their 4th National title game in 7 seasons.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Excellent display of judgement you have shown by posting this...just one more reason
    If they are in the game, they'll loose to USC.... How many #2 runner-ups will that make?...
    (and yes, it's conceivable they could play twice this season possibly.... Thier first match-up is early enough in the season for OSU to rebound from the loss... )

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    If they are in the game, they'll loose to USC.... How many #2 runner-ups will that make?...
    (and yes, it's conceivable they could play twice this season possibly.... Thier first match-up is early enough in the season for OSU to rebound from the loss... )
    Possibly but I think some of the naysayers have a point. OSU will have to go undefeated this season to get there...I truely believe that. So, it would need to be a USC loss for that to happen. But, honestly, do you believe USC really has a shot? This OSU team is better than last season...and they had a good squad last year.
    2014 NFL Draft

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "ShawnMedGuy
    But, honestly, do you believe USC really has a shot? .
    Of course I do....!!!

[
    Well let me assure you they don't. tOSU will run the field this year...they are bigger, stronger, and faster. USC is a top 10 team but I think the toughest teams will likely be Oklahoma, Georgia and tOSU.
    2014 NFL Draft

Beanie and the Hogs (hey I think i will make a shirt out of that saying) will maul the defenses on the schedule this year.

As for best teams, while Georgia may be among the most talented, that grueling SEC schedule (I believe the play the most of the big dogs on the road) gives them virtually no shot at seeing a National Championship game...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

[
    Well let me assure you they don't. tOSU will run the field this year...they are bigger, stronger, and faster. USC is a top 10 team but I think the toughest teams will likely be Oklahoma, Georgia and tOSU.

......Thanx for the good laugh today. I needed it..... ... No way OSU runs the table, let alone beat USC on thier own turf... It won't happen... USC has more wepons than you may like to admit, and thier schedule just got better with the qb from UCLA going down for the year with an injury...

Cowan is out for the season after suffering cartilage and ligament damage to his left knee. He will have to petition for a sixth year of eligibility. Olson is out for almost two months with a broken bone in his right foot.