Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall to return kicks...at least initially

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Mendenhall to return kicks...at least initially

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    I thought Santonio Holmes has been voicing to the coaching staff and the media that he wanted to return kicks again.

Is it set that Mendenhall will be returning kicks instead of Holmes or is Mendenhall just one of the candidates going in to training camp and Holmes still has a shot?
    I think they want Mendenhall to return kickoffs. Holmes was a punt returner in his rookie year and has spoken of returning punts again. But, as long as Holmes looks like the teams #1 receiver, he likely won't be returning any kicks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    ... Let Moore, Reid and Bloom sort it out in the pre season.
    Well, in this case, I hope it's Moore as the "last man standing".... I don't think Bloom will make the team, and I gave up and labeled Reid with the "B word" after last season...
    I'm part of the .001% of Steelers fans who think Reid will surprise this season. The main reason is he can get aditional yards after the catch. Maybe I'm wrong, but if we release reid just feel we'll be reading about him doing good things for another team.
    i agree so you can make that .002%
    the only time i really saw him play wr last season was against the cards. he caught a few screens where it seemed like he would lose yards but made pretty good gains. he also has good hands at wr, as for the return game thats another story. i do think he will improve a lot from last season. he should make the team as the #5 wr and return man

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    ... Let Moore, Reid and Bloom sort it out in the pre season.
    Well, in this case, I hope it's Moore as the "last man standing".... I don't think Bloom will make the team, and I gave up and labeled Reid with the "B word" after last season...
    I'm part of the .001% of Steelers fans who think Reid will surprise this season. The main reason is he can get aditional yards after the catch. Maybe I'm wrong, but if we release reid just feel we'll be reading about him doing good things for another team.
    i agree so you can make that .002%
    the only time i really saw him play wr last season was against the cards. he caught a few screens where it seemed like he would lose yards but made pretty good gains. he also has good hands at wr, as for the return game thats another story. i do think he will improve a lot from last season. he should make the team as the #5 wr and return man
    I think if everyone gets past the disappointment as a returner, he has doen well when given the opportunity. Thie thing that sells me is he gets yards after the catch versus getting dropped. Probably in his skillset because he was originally a RB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Randle El was our number 2 WR and no one had problems with him returning punts and kicks. But everyone has problems with Holmes returning....I don't get the inconsistency.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    Randle El was our number 2 WR and no one had problems with him returning punts and kicks. But everyone has problems with Holmes returning....I don't get the inconsistency.
    Because Holmes is the only real speedster/deep threat we have at WR?

Backup

User Info Menu

Lots of folks seem to want to return kicks except Nate Washington and his "freakish" athletic ability
    Hey man... Don't "hate the Nate"... He's gotta protect those valuable hands.....
    You're right. My bad. Besides Nate couldn't break a tackle if they let him run with a machete.
    Correct. Nate Washington's Yards after catch avg was a miserable 2.8 yards per reception last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we should trade Holmes for an offensive lineman that can help us now and Parker for defensive line help. These two will never have higher trade value and we can improve other areas of the team.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

I disagree, we should trade Big Ben to Green Bay for Favre and both of their guards.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no ben & willie for peterson and hutchenson

Legend

User Info Menu

These are excellent ideas, there's nothing like trading known good talent for draft picks and over the hill quarterbacks.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount