Thread: Army to Caleb Campbell: Report For Duty

Legend

User Info Menu

Army to Caleb Campbell: Report For Duty

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-0-157/Morning-Coffee--Army-calls-Campbell-to-active-duty.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0- ... -duty.html[/url]

Morning Coffee: Army calls Campbell to active duty

July 24, 2008 10:29 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

SALT LAKE CITY -- Today's Morning Coffee comes from Army and sadly, isn't good news. ESPN.com ran a story Wednesday evening stating that former Army linebacker Caleb Campbell will not be allowed to play in the NFL.

It was covered on the NFL side, but I wanted to make sure any Army fans, and fans of college football, saw the result of this ongoing story.

Campbell was a seventh-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions in April and was told that if he was drafted he could serve the Army as a recruiter. But Army policy has changed, and Campbell has been called to active duty.

"When I got drafted, I told people that I was going to have the best of both worlds," Campbell said. "I was going to be in the United States Army and I was going to have a chance to play professional football. Now, I have the best of one world and I'm very positive about that. It's all going to work out.

"I'm in great shape and I'm going to stay in great shape. I'm going to fulfill my duty to the United States Army and do what I've got to do. One day, hopefully I'll get another opportunity to play in the NFL."

Campbell could be released from his active duty obligations in May 2010. The Times-Herald Record's Justin Rodriguez had a nice detail of how Campbell learned of the Army's decision.

Also, I know this isn't football, but the Times-Herald Record ran a story on a baseball player dealing with similar circumstances.
    Imo, you don't tell a guy when he signs up that he can pursue a pro career if drafted and then renege when it happens. If you wanna change the rule then fine, but to make it retro active is complete BS. The Army should be ashamed of themselves for this one.

At least the kid's handling it with class.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Army to Caleb Campbell: Report For Duty

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-0-157/Morning-Coffee--Army-calls-Campbell-to-active-duty.html

Morning Coffee: Army calls Campbell to active duty

July 24, 2008 10:29 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

SALT LAKE CITY -- Today's Morning Coffee comes from Army and sadly, isn't good news. ESPN.com ran a story Wednesday evening stating that former Army linebacker Caleb Campbell will not be allowed to play in the NFL.

It was covered on the NFL side, but I wanted to make sure any Army fans, and fans of college football, saw the result of this ongoing story.

Campbell was a seventh-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions in April and was told that if he was drafted he could serve the Army as a recruiter. But Army policy has changed, and Campbell has been called to active duty.

"When I got drafted, I told people that I was going to have the best of both worlds," Campbell said. "I was going to be in the United States Army and I was going to have a chance to play professional football. Now, I have the best of one world and I'm very positive about that. It's all going to work out.

"I'm in great shape and I'm going to stay in great shape. I'm going to fulfill my duty to the United States Army and do what I've got to do. One day, hopefully I'll get another opportunity to play in the NFL."

Campbell could be released from his active duty obligations in May 2010. The Times-Herald Record's Justin Rodriguez had a nice detail of how Campbell learned of the Army's decision.

Also, I know this isn't football, but the Times-Herald Record ran a story on a baseball player dealing with similar circumstances.
    Imo, you don't tell a guy when he signs up that he can pursue a pro career if drafted and then renege when it happens. If you wanna change the rule then fine, but to make it retro active is complete BS. The Army should be ashamed of themselves for this one.

At least the kid's handling it with class.
    My dad...a vietnam vet...told me something when considering the military as my employer. He said, "Son, get all those promises in writing". And that's what Caleb probably failed to do. If he had gotten it in writing...I would imagine he would be a recruiter playing pro ball.

But, yes he is handling it with class. I don't think I would be so "classy". I think I would go on record as saying something like this...

"These lying byotches are stealing my dream...F Sadaam...F Iraq...and F whoever signed those papers to send me to active duty. If I'm going to kill anyone...I will start with him."

But, hey that's just me.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

stlrz, it's the Army, and they can tell an individual anything they want. Bottom line, he signed-on, and has to do his duty. You don't go to Annapolis, West Point, or the Air Force academy without serving your time... Granted, it could have been handled better and it is definitely unfortunate... But it's the government for God sakes, so what do you expect? ... Yes, kids like Robinson were able to get out of thier obligation, but that was not a time of war.... Roger Staubach won the Heisman and immediately served a tour of duty in Vietnam because it was wartime...

And as SMG said, "it wasn't in writing".... And the government wouldn't do so anyway. That's why I didn't join the Navy (I wanted to fly fighters off of a carrier, but they wouldn't give any guarantees...).

Bottom line is that it's unfortunate, but that's the way life is... He has a commitment to fulfill. Yes, it could of been handled better, but, remember why he has to serve that commitment in the first place.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the timing of it is unfortunate for this kid. I think most people (not just NFL fans) would be pulling for this kid to make the squad. If I was Matt Millen, I would have a hard time cutting him.

I would also have a hard time drafting a WR in the 1st round for 20 straight years, so Millen has already proven to do things with ease that I would find difficult.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Army broke their promise to him. That's just wrong.