Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie PArker

Backup

User Info Menu

Willie PArker

Stuffs per carry Rankings (stuffs mean 0 and/or negative gain carries)

1.Ronnie Brown Mia .050
    2 Ron Dayne Hou .052
    3 Kenton Keith Ind .058
    4 Edgerrin James Ari .059
    5 Jamal Lewis Cle .060
    6 Adrian Peterson Chi .060
    7 Earnest Graham TB .063
    8 Derrick Ward NYG .064
    9 Brandon Jacobs NYG .064
    10 Marion Barber Dal .069
    11 Chris Brown Ten .069
    12 Frank Gore SF .073
    13 LenDale White Ten .076
    14 LaMont Jordan Oak .076
    15 Aaron Stecker NO .078
    16 Joseph Addai Ind .080
    17 DeShaun Foster Car .081
    18 Laurence Maroney NE .081
    19 Justin Fargas Oak .081
    20 Kenny Watson Cin .084
    21 Brian Westbrook Phi .086
    22 Travis Henry Den .090
    23 Clinton Portis Was .092
    24 Brian Leonard StL .093
    25 Sammy Morris NE .094
    26 Fred Taylor Jac .094
    27 Willie Parker Pit .097

Parker had the 27th worst Stuff percentage in 2007. Nearly 10% of his carries ended
    in a stuff.

Ranking percentage of Rushes of 10+ yards or more

1.Adrian Peterson Min 18.1%
    2. Fred Taylor Jac 15.5%
    3. LaDainian Tomlinson 13.9%
    4. Brian Westbrook Phi 13.4%
    5. Brandon Jacobs NYG 13.3%
    6. Marion Barber Dal 13.2%
    7. Maurice Jones-Drew 13.1%
    8. Ryan Grant GB 12.7%
    9 Jamal Lewis Cle 11%
    10 Willis McGahee Bal 11%
    11 Justin Fargas Oak 10.8%
    12 Frank Gore SF 10.7%
    13 Shaun AlexanderSea 10.6%
    14 Joseph Addai Ind 10.3%
    15 Willie Parker Pit 9.8%

Some RB's have fewer long runs. but are more consistent play to play. They have
    fewer stuffs.some Running backs have more long runs plays , but have more stuffs at the Line of scrimmage. Parker doesn't do anything especially well

NFL Leaders Rushing Yards on 1st & 10

1 Brian Westbrook Phi 781
    2 Willis McGahee Bal 772
    3 Willie Parker Pit 752
    4 Jamal Lewis Cle 715
    5 Thomas Jones NYJ 678
    6 Adrian Peterson Min 655
    7 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 643
    8 Clinton Portis Was 623
    9t Edgerrin James Ari 615
    9t LenDale White Ten 615
    11 Fred Taylor Jac 614
    12t Joseph Addai Ind 573
    12t Brandon Jacobs NYG 573
    14 Marshawn Lynch Buf 571
    15 Steven Jackson StL 569
    16 Marion Barber Dal 513
    17 Frank Gore SF 478
    18 Laurence Maroney NE 477
    19 Earnest Graham TB 449
    20 Justin Fargas Oak 448

As you can see Parker had the 3rd most yards on 1st down in the league. But as
    you will see below, the yards gained were due to the heavy amount of attempts, not
    because he was ultra efficient on a per carry basis

NFL Leaders Yds/Carry, 1st Down & 10

1 Jerious Norwood Atl 6.2
    2 DeAngelo Williams Car 5.7
    3 Maurice Jones-DrewJac 5.6
    4 Brian Westbrook Phi 5.6
    5 Marion Barber Dal 5.5
    6 Brandon Jacobs NYG 5.5
    7 Derrick Ward NYG 5.3
    8 Adrian Peterson Min 5.2
    9 Fred Taylor Jac 5.1
    10 Selvin Young Den 5.0
    11 Laurence Maroney NE 5.0
    12 Ronnie Brown Mia 5.0
    13 Willis McGahee Bal 4.9
    14 Justin Fargas Oak 4.9
    15 Jamal Lewis Cle 4.6
    16 Steven Jackson StL 4.6
    17 Kenny Watson Cin 4.5
    18 Kevin Jones Det 4.5
    19 Chester Taylor Min 4.4
    20 Earnest Graham TB 4.3
    21 Joeseph ADDai Ind 4.3
    22 Willie Parker Pit 4.3

Parker ranked 22nd in Yards per carry on 1st down. (for the record , he ranked 27th on 2nd down)

Note: If you break down the Steelers 3rd downs. over 50% of them were of third down
    & 7 yards + or more. That was the 6 highest percentage in the league last
    year. Also note that the Steelers ran theball on 1st and 2nd down more then all but
    1 team in th NFL in 2007. Teams would just tee off on the QB as he would try to
    complete 3rd and long.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Willie PArker

MSM how many of those guys at the top of the ypc on 1st down are the starters?

i mean i only scanned the list and counted 6 non starters ahead of parker. and i'm sure that there's more than that. it's pretty telling that even LT isn't above parker.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

i mean i only scanned the list and counted 6 non starters ahead of parker. and i'm sure that there's more than that. it's pretty telling that even LT isn't above parker.
    They all meet the mimimum Rushes requirement. ITs all based on percentage man.
    If it were total yards, then yes, it would matter. But as long as you have the necessary carries to get an average, that average by and large does not change.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

Lt had his worst year ever. But he made up for the stuffs with his runs of 10+ yards or more. Not to mention his receiving yards and his ability to find the endzone.

Legend

User Info Menu

More statistics without substantiation. Football is the ultimate team sport. Where in those RB rankings is the accountability of the O lines?

MSM - show us some O line rankings and stats. How does the Steelers '07 line rank in stuffs allowed or in all those other categories.

You always like to compare Parker to Ben when Parker is not to RBs what Ben is to QBs...no one is denying that. But the point remains that Parker alone is not responsible for the decline of his stats. Stats tell part of the story, but they don't tell the whole story.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so msm your blaming the stuff percentage on parker? that stat is all on the o-line. how could it be any fault of any rb if he is hit behind the line of scrimage? im glad you posted that stat because i brought it up yesterday how there was an enormous ammount of carries he had with a d-lineman already in the backfield before or as the handoff was made. that is not parkers fault at all and it also affects his ypc avg tremendously. go ahead and keep blaming parker though. its funny how the o-line doesnt have nearly as much accountability in the run game, but if ben takes any hits its all on the o-line. it goes both ways

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    so msm your blaming the stuff percentage on parker? that stat is all on the o-line. how could it be any fault of any rb if he is hit behind the line of scrimage? im glad you posted that stat because i brought it up yesterday how there was an enormous ammount of carries he had with a d-lineman already in the backfield before or as the handoff was made. that is not parkers fault at all and it also affects his ypc avg tremendously. go ahead and keep blaming parker though. its funny how the o-line doesnt have nearly as much accountability in the run game, but if ben takes any hits its all on the o-line. it goes both ways
    It's funny that in the years that people thought that Bettis was finished, he had a lot of carries where he was hit in the backfield. When the o-line came together and he could actually hit the line running, he was more effective. Not that MSM is saying this, but it was said a lot on the other board, but I really can't see how so many people are ready to ditch WP, a guy who could have easily led the league in rushng yards last year, for an unproven rookie. Maybe Mendenhall will be that guy, but man.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I noticed that Aaron Stecker is on your "Stuffs per carry Rankings" list in the 15th position. Stecker had 115 attempts last year. The Dump Truck, Davenport had 107 attemps last year and didn't crack the top 27. So what that tells me is Davenport had a HIGHER percentage of carries that he was stuffed on than Parker did. That in itself would lead me to believe that the O-line is the most important factor in this statistic ... not the running back.

What's even more interesting are some of the runners NOT on that list
    LT - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Adrian Peterson (Minn) - not there so he's worse than Parker
    MJD (Jax goal line back) - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Ryan Grant - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Marshawn Lynch - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Willis McGahee - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Stephen Jackson - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Kevin Jones - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Chester Taylor - not there so he's worse than Parker
    Jerious Norwood - not there so he's worse than Parker

Need I go on. It appears to me that some of the best backs in the league get stuffed more that Willie. I mean who would have thought Willie would be better than LT, AP and Stephen Jackson in this category? Evidently those guys can't run inside with power either.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

You guys all want to focus on the Stuffs and not anything else I posted.
    And because of that your all missing the point. Yes , Tomlinson had few more stuffs
    than parker. But he made up for those stuffs with a higher percentage of 10+ yard runs. Not to mention receiving Yards yards. Peterson is another one. Look at his 10+ yards run percentage. If Parker was breaking that many 10+ yard runs per his carries, we wouldn't concern ourselves as much with the stuffs. Read the whole post Fella's. Don't shoot the messenger. The Fact is Parker doesn't do anything especially well. Not on 1st and 2nd down. Not in the red zone. Not as a pass receiving threat. Not on long runs. He gets stuffed alot. We can do better at that postion.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    It's funny that in the years that people thought that Bettis was finished, he had a lot of carries where he was hit in the backfield. When the o-line came together and he could actually hit the line running, he was more effective. Not that MSM is saying this, but it was said a lot on the other board, but I really can't see how so many people are ready to ditch WP, a guy who could have easily led the league in rushng yards last year, for an unproven rookie. Maybe Mendenhall will be that guy, but man.
    I totally agree with you. Lets see if the NFL will take back FWP's 75yd Td run in XL. In '06 FWP had what 9 tds? In '07 was it two? Look at the decay in the O line after Hartings left in '06. With what he had to work with up front last year, its remarkable he didn't suffer two broken legs. FWP may not be a "complete" back, but he has added much to the Steeler O over the past few seasons. I just watched the Jags/Steelers reg season game of '07 again. I'm glad FWP was on our team. IF he would have been around for the PO game, we might have won!
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks