Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect holdouts

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers don't expect holdouts

Steelers don't expect holdouts
    Colbert confident top two picks will be signed, in camp
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08204/898550-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08204/898550-66.stm[/url]
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteRashard Mendenhall -- Steelers' No. 1 draft pickThe Steelers have not had a significant rookie contract holdout in a decade and it appears they will not have one this summer either.

Signing any veterans to contract extensions, however, is another matter.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, predicted yesterday that the top two draft choices will come to terms by the time the Steelers report to training camp Sunday at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers' top pick, and wide receiver Limas Sweed, drafted in the second round, are the last unsigned of their seven draft choices.

"We feel confident that everybody will be signed by training camp," Colbert said.

The Steelers are negotiating a five-year contract for Mendenhall and a four-year deal with Sweed.

Colbert said the signings of second-round draft choices around the league were down because both sides awaited a ruling by a special master on a dispute between management and the players union over complicated guarantees in the uncapped year of 2010.

The master ruled in favor of the union over the weekend and Colbert believes more picks will sign soon because of it.

Colbert was not as confident about signing any veterans to contract extensions anytime soon, but indicated they will work on doing so before the season begins.

"We're going to try to get something done as we go through training camp, like we always do, and maybe even before, but with only a week to go it's unlikely we'll be able to sign anybody before camp."

The Steelers have a policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular season begins. Colbert would not name individual veterans they want to sign but noted that anyone entering their final contract year before they could become an unrestricted free agent is possible.

Those in that category include offensive tackle Marvel Smith, linebacker James Farrior, guard Chris Kemoeatu, quarterback Charlie Batch, cornerback Bryant McFadden, and offensive tackle Max Starks.

"We're not down the road with anybody at this point, I mean in heavy negotiations," Colbert said.

The Steelers' last three first-round draft choices all signed by the team's first reporting day to training camp -- Lawrence Timmons, Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger signed four days after camp opened in 2004. Guard Alan Faneca was the last first-round pick to miss more than a week of camp when he signed nine days after it opened in 1998. However, third-round pick Hank Poteat did miss more than a week in 2000 as their last rookie holdout.

No other first-round pick other than Faneca missed as much as a week of training camp before he signed since 1992, when tackle Leon Searcy missed the first 2 1/2 weeks.

The longest holdout in modern Steelers history came in 1987 when Rod Woodson did not sign until Oct. 28, after the NFL players returned to work from a monthlong strike.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at [email="ebouchette@post-gazette.com"]ebouchette@post-gazette.com[/email].
    First published on July 22, 2008 at 12:00 am

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers don't expect holdouts

The gave Max Starks 7 million. All i can say is that their better not be any holdouts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    The gave Max Starks 7 million. All i can say is that their better not be any holdouts.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

... I don't know... Until more of the top picks get signed, I can see Mendy holding out until they are.... It's just a $$$ thing and he'll want to be proportioned equally... Maybe I'm a cinic, but that's what I see happening... Sweed, I'm not sure of...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    ... I don't know... Until more of the top picks get signed, I can see Mendy holding out until they are.... It's just a $$$ thing and he'll want to be proportioned equally... Maybe I'm a cinic, but that's what I see happening... Sweed, I'm not sure of...
    I hope your wrong

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    I hope your wrong
    Me too.... But seriously, do you expect Mendy to sign before everyone around him in the draft does?.... Someone has to "set the bar" so to speak, so he has a target to shoot for (or, should I say, his agent does...).

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope your wrong
    Me too.... But seriously, do you expect Mendy to sign before everyone around him in the draft does?.... Someone has to "set the bar" so to speak, so he has a target to shoot for (or, should I say, his agent does...).
    Agent's we dont need no stinking agents. Now that I got that off my chest you are more than likely right

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agent's we dont need no stinking agents...
    I wish that were the case...

BTW, I'm gonna be in Jackson Hole in a few weeks.... Any reccomendations? (I could have sworn that you were from out thataway...)

Legend

User Info Menu

Agent's we dont need no stinking agents...
    I wish that were the case...

BTW, I'm gonna be in Jackson Hole in a few weeks.... Any reccomendations? (I could have sworn that you were from out thataway...)
    Reccomendations for what?

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Reccomendations for what?
    Food ... Fun ... Fast women that like Steeler fans (just kidding).....

... Anything, actually... I have a layover there in late August and looking for entertainment.