Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: This is for poster JOM112

  1. #1

    This is for poster JOM112

    Jom, I could not find that thread where we were discussing Palmer and Ben. You had asked me how many of Ben's longer throws were a result of just his recievers being good runners after the catch. I had no stat at the time that I could give you. But I just happened to stumble across the article below on one of those scout .com sites. The first paragraph answers your question.

    Passing yards at the catch


    An overlooked category that should be considered anytime you're comparing quarterbacks is how much yardage is gained by the length of their completed throws versus how much they're being helped by the receivers who tack on yards while running with the ball after the catch. Among quarterbacks with at least 1000 pass attempts over the past four years, Roethlisberger is second only to Peyton Manning in yards-at-the-catch average with 7.7 yards versus the Colts quarterbacks' 7.9 yards. By comparison, the Patriots' Tom Brady is 12th at 6.8 yards.

    Below you'll see how Roethlisberger's numbers after four seasons compare with the Colts' Peyton Manning, the Dolphins' Dan Marino, the Broncos' John Elway, the Patriots' Tom Brady, the Bills' Jim Kelly, the Cowboys' Troy Aikman, the Packers' Brett Favre and the 49ers' Joe Montana when they were each entering their fifth NFL season. While other amazing quarterbacks such as Steve Young were certainly deserving to be in the mix, the eight quarterbacks selected will provide a valid point of reference

    Yards: Roethlisberger's 11,673 yards isn't in the same arena with Manning's 16,418 or Marino's 16,177. But it's good enough for fourth place behind Kelly's 12,901 yards. That means that the Pittsburgh QB finished higher than Aikman (10,527), Favre (10,412), Brady (10,233), and Montana (8,069).


    Completion Percent: Roethlisberger's 63.2 percent completion rate is better than any of the elite eight's completion percentages after four seasons. He barely nudged out Joe Montana (63.1) and is just slightly ahead of Brett Favre (62.3). Tom Brady (61.9), Peyton Manning (61.0), Dan Marino (60.9), Troy Aikman (60.2) and Jim Kelly (59.2) weren't far behind, but John Elway (54.0) completed almost ten percent less of his passes than Roethlisberger.

    Touchdowns: If you compare the quarterbacks based on total touchdown passes over their first four seasons, Big Ben places third with 84 scores behind Marino (142) and Manning (111). But he is second only to Marino in the percent of his passes resulting in a touchdown with 5.8 percent compared to the former Dolphin great's 6.9 percent. Manning tossed an even 5.0 percent for touchdowns, third-best out of the group. Joe Montana put up just 52 scores but that was 4.6 percent of the passes he threw during his first four years. Brady had 69 TD passes (4.5 percent), Favre posted 70 (4.4 percent), Elway threw 66 (3.8 percent), Kelly logged 81 (3.6 percent) and Aikman had 54 (3.5 percent).

    Passer rating: Roethlisberger's 92.5 score after four seasons places him second in this group behind Dan Marino (95.2). Montana placed third with a rating of 88.0, followed by Brady (85.9), Favre (85.2), Manning (85.1), Kelly (82.7), Aikman (76.4), and the late-blooming Elway (71.9).

  2. #2

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Yea! What MSM said biznitch.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Jom, I could not find that thread where we were discussing Palmer and Ben. You had asked me how many of Ben's longer throws were a result of just his recievers being good runners after the catch. I had no stat at the time that I could give you. But I just happened to stumble across the article below on one of those scout .com sites. The first paragraph answers your question.

    Passing yards at the catch


    An overlooked category that should be considered anytime you're comparing quarterbacks is how much yardage is gained by the length of their completed throws versus how much they're being helped by the receivers who tack on yards while running with the ball after the catch. Among quarterbacks with at least 1000 pass attempts over the past four years, Roethlisberger is second only to Peyton Manning in yards-at-the-catch average with 7.7 yards versus the Colts quarterbacks' 7.9 yards. By comparison, the Patriots' Tom Brady is 12th at 6.8 yards.

    Below you'll see how Roethlisberger's numbers after four seasons compare with the Colts' Peyton Manning, the Dolphins' Dan Marino, the Broncos' John Elway, the Patriots' Tom Brady, the Bills' Jim Kelly, the Cowboys' Troy Aikman, the Packers' Brett Favre and the 49ers' Joe Montana when they were each entering their fifth NFL season. While other amazing quarterbacks such as Steve Young were certainly deserving to be in the mix, the eight quarterbacks selected will provide a valid point of reference

    Yards: Roethlisberger's 11,673 yards isn't in the same arena with Manning's 16,418 or Marino's 16,177. But it's good enough for fourth place behind Kelly's 12,901 yards. That means that the Pittsburgh QB finished higher than Aikman (10,527), Favre (10,412), Brady (10,233), and Montana (8,069).


    Completion Percent: Roethlisberger's 63.2 percent completion rate is better than any of the elite eight's completion percentages after four seasons. He barely nudged out Joe Montana (63.1) and is just slightly ahead of Brett Favre (62.3). Tom Brady (61.9), Peyton Manning (61.0), Dan Marino (60.9), Troy Aikman (60.2) and Jim Kelly (59.2) weren't far behind, but John Elway (54.0) completed almost ten percent less of his passes than Roethlisberger.

    Touchdowns: If you compare the quarterbacks based on total touchdown passes over their first four seasons, Big Ben places third with 84 scores behind Marino (142) and Manning (111). But he is second only to Marino in the percent of his passes resulting in a touchdown with 5.8 percent compared to the former Dolphin great's 6.9 percent. Manning tossed an even 5.0 percent for touchdowns, third-best out of the group. Joe Montana put up just 52 scores but that was 4.6 percent of the passes he threw during his first four years. Brady had 69 TD passes (4.5 percent), Favre posted 70 (4.4 percent), Elway threw 66 (3.8 percent), Kelly logged 81 (3.6 percent) and Aikman had 54 (3.5 percent).

    Passer rating: Roethlisberger's 92.5 score after four seasons places him second in this group behind Dan Marino (95.2). Montana placed third with a rating of 88.0, followed by Brady (85.9), Favre (85.2), Manning (85.1), Kelly (82.7), Aikman (76.4), and the late-blooming Elway (71.9).
    I assume that Carson Palmer wasn't even in the same area code on some of these.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Jom, I could not find that thread where we were discussing Palmer and Ben. You had asked me how many of Ben's longer throws were a result of just his recievers being good runners after the catch. I had no stat at the time that I could give you. But I just happened to stumble across the article below on one of those scout .com sites. The first paragraph answers your question.

    Passing yards at the catch


    An overlooked category that should be considered anytime you're comparing quarterbacks is how much yardage is gained by the length of their completed throws versus how much they're being helped by the receivers who tack on yards while running with the ball after the catch. Among quarterbacks with at least 1000 pass attempts over the past four years, Roethlisberger is second only to Peyton Manning in yards-at-the-catch average with 7.7 yards versus the Colts quarterbacks' 7.9 yards. By comparison, the Patriots' Tom Brady is 12th at 6.8 yards.

    Below you'll see how Roethlisberger's numbers after four seasons compare with the Colts' Peyton Manning, the Dolphins' Dan Marino, the Broncos' John Elway, the Patriots' Tom Brady, the Bills' Jim Kelly, the Cowboys' Troy Aikman, the Packers' Brett Favre and the 49ers' Joe Montana when they were each entering their fifth NFL season. While other amazing quarterbacks such as Steve Young were certainly deserving to be in the mix, the eight quarterbacks selected will provide a valid point of reference

    Yards: Roethlisberger's 11,673 yards isn't in the same arena with Manning's 16,418 or Marino's 16,177. But it's good enough for fourth place behind Kelly's 12,901 yards. That means that the Pittsburgh QB finished higher than Aikman (10,527), Favre (10,412), Brady (10,233), and Montana (8,069).


    Completion Percent: Roethlisberger's 63.2 percent completion rate is better than any of the elite eight's completion percentages after four seasons. He barely nudged out Joe Montana (63.1) and is just slightly ahead of Brett Favre (62.3). Tom Brady (61.9), Peyton Manning (61.0), Dan Marino (60.9), Troy Aikman (60.2) and Jim Kelly (59.2) weren't far behind, but John Elway (54.0) completed almost ten percent less of his passes than Roethlisberger.

    Touchdowns: If you compare the quarterbacks based on total touchdown passes over their first four seasons, Big Ben places third with 84 scores behind Marino (142) and Manning (111). But he is second only to Marino in the percent of his passes resulting in a touchdown with 5.8 percent compared to the former Dolphin great's 6.9 percent. Manning tossed an even 5.0 percent for touchdowns, third-best out of the group. Joe Montana put up just 52 scores but that was 4.6 percent of the passes he threw during his first four years. Brady had 69 TD passes (4.5 percent), Favre posted 70 (4.4 percent), Elway threw 66 (3.8 percent), Kelly logged 81 (3.6 percent) and Aikman had 54 (3.5 percent).

    Passer rating: Roethlisberger's 92.5 score after four seasons places him second in this group behind Dan Marino (95.2). Montana placed third with a rating of 88.0, followed by Brady (85.9), Favre (85.2), Manning (85.1), Kelly (82.7), Aikman (76.4), and the late-blooming Elway (71.9).
    I assume that Carson Palmer wasn't even in the same area code on some of these. No doubt Palmer is a "good" NFL QB, but he isn't the player that the hype makes him out to be Heisman not withstanding
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Got a link for this?

    I can think of a few places where I'd like to share it!

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South West Indiana
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Got a link for this?

    I can think of a few places where I'd like to share it!

    Yes, I second the request for the link!!

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!
    Posts
    1,574

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Here's the link. This is a great article. I meant to post it a few days ago.

    http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=770206
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South West Indiana
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Here's the link. This is a great article. I meant to post it a few days ago.

    http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=770206
    Thank you!! Excellent peice....

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Here's the link. This is a great article. I meant to post it a few days ago.

    http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=770206
    Thank you!

    I like this bit too:

    Passing against the blitz: Roethlisberger keeps his cool in the face of danger and remains confident that he can make a play despite the added pressure. It's a a trait that is both a blessing and a curse for the Steelers QB.

    Believing that he can make a play with players breathing down his neck certainly contributed to Roethlisberger's 17 sacks in blitz situations. And that put him in a tie with Chicago Bears QB Rex Grossman and the New York Jets' Kellen Clemens for the most times dropped to the turf when facing the blitz last season. But that same determination and optimism helped him finish second in the league in passer rating (105.8 ) in that same situation. Brady was the only quarterback to handle the blitz better, posting a 118.7 rating.

  10. #10
    BIG FAN
    Guest

    Re: This is for poster JOM112

    Excellent post, I'm not much of a stat freak but a good read.
    Nice job!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •