Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker Critics

Legend

User Info Menu

Parker Critics

The Sporting News seems to think pretty highly of him.

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434762"]http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=434762[/url]

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers. More than being the NFL's defending rushing titlist and record-breaking former league MVP, L.T.'s versatility as a runner and receiver stands out as most impressive.

2. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles. Although undersized, Westbrook proved his durability in 2007 and literally carried the Eagles' offense, especially after Donovan McNabb's latest injury. Just like L.T., he's a dangerous runner and receiver who can line up anywhere on the field.

3. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings. Peterson had a stellar rookie season, but he doesn't quite possess the versatility of LT and Westbrook.

4. Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers. Another undersized back, Parker has blazing speed and will likely surpass 5,000 career rushing yards this season. Even with the Steelers' new emphasis on throwing for some big plays, Parker can also hit home runs by flat-out running past defenders.

5. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams. Versatility strikes again! Jackson had 90 receptions two seasons ago, and he is a threat to win this year's rushing title if both he and his offensive teammates remain healthy.

6. Willis McGahee, Baltimore Ravens. On an offense that can only run the ball, McGahee was the runner. He is a versatile rusher who can attack the edges as well as take on defenders between the tackles.

7. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers. Gore has carried his team in recent seasons and established himself as one of the league's premier backs with little help. With Mike Martz in the fold as the Niners' offensive coordinator, look for Gore to become a force once again as a dual threat runner and receiver.

8. Ronnie Brown, Miami Dolphins. Brown averaged more than five yards per carry last season before a season-ending knee injury. He has already been running well in the offseason, and with more of a commitment to the run and a solid line in front of him, Brown should emerge as a top 10 back again.

9. Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo Bills. Lynch averaged nearly 22 carries a game in '07 and is a good fit for the Bills' zone-blocking scheme. He is a one-cut runner who attacks the hole but also has good lateral speed and receiving skills. The emergence of Trent Edwards will open up more running lanes for Lynch.

10. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts. There is no question Addai is a premier, complete back, but he also is the product of a strong system and a smart QB who keeps defenses from stacking the box.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Parker Critics

what does the sporting news no about football anyways

Legend

User Info Menu

Did they watch him struggle in between the tackles and in the red zone? Do they realize that he couldn't catch a cold if he lived on the North Pole?
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not sure why so many of us don't love FWP or think he should be traded?? The guy was leading the league in rushing behind one of the worst o-lines the Steelers have had in a long time. Sure there are things he could do better, but he is definitely a top 5 back in this league and I hope we hold on to him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what Mendenhall brings to the table. But for right now, Willie is our starter and I'm happy about that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Not sure why so many of us don't love FWP or think he should be traded?? The guy was leading the league in rushing behind one of the worst o-lines the Steelers have had in a long time. Sure there are things he could do better, but he is definitely a top 5 back in this league and I hope we hold on to him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what Mendenhall brings to the table. But for right now, Willie is our starter and I'm happy about that.
    I can't disagree more. Parker is a homerun hitter. IMO, you need a back to do both...run between the tackles...and move the sticks...but also has the speed to take it house. Parker is as much one dimensional as Bettis was...but at least Bettis could get us first downs. You can't have an effective running game, if you can't sustain drives with your running game. I really could care less about the overall yards...it really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Did they watch him struggle in between the tackles and in the red zone? Do they realize that he couldn't catch a cold if he lived on the North Pole?

Though my criticism of Parker may not be as harsh as your assessment, my esteemed brother, I will have to agree with the sentiments. Catching the ball with great efficiency is not one of Willie's strong suits. He most definitely has home-run capabilities... but that's to the outside. Throw an arm on his thigh while he's running between tackles and he's down. I will love the "Thunder and lightning" that he and Mendenhall will bring to the team. Just around the corner ladies and gents.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't disagree more. Parker is a homerun hitter. IMO, you need a back to do both...run between the tackles...and move the sticks...but also has the speed to take it house. Parker is as much one dimensional as Bettis was...but at least Bettis could get us first downs. You can't have an effective running game, if you can't sustain drives with your running game. I really could care less about the overall yards...it really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
    Does this mean I'm out of the clique???

I know what you are saying, Shawn. And I think I argued last year that FWP's yards-per-carry average was skewed by the few long runs he'd have every game. Still, I think he is a quality back and if paired with another rb or fb who can get us those tough third and ones, then I think we will be a dangeous running team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would much rather have the consistency that FWP doesn't deliver.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is one of those hot-button issues that will come up at any steelers board, the key is to keep it civil and agree to disagree. For me, I like what Willie brings to the table.

Legend

User Info Menu

Does this mean I'm out of the clique???

I know what you are saying, Shawn. And I think I argued last year that FWP's yards-per-carry average was skewed by the few long runs he'd have every game. Still, I think he is a quality back and if paired with another rb or fb who can get us those tough third and ones, then I think we will be a dangeous running team.
    (In my famous clique nazi voice) "No clique for you" !!!!

I understand what you are saying...but I guess that would make Parker a great complement back. A premier (top 5) RB shouldn't need another RB to help the team get the tough yards.
    Trolls are people too.