Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 121

Thread: Parker Critics

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Parker Critics

    i forgot to add that he may not ever run through defenders like bettis but parker makes a lot of deffenders miss. the result is exactly the same

  2. #42
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,181

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

    I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since Dick Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  3. #43

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i forgot to add that he may not ever run through defenders like bettis but parker makes a lot of deffenders miss. the result is exactly the same
    I'm not really on either side of the Parker debate, but I disagree with this statement. If a defender misses Parker it is because he takes a bad angle or can't catch him. However, Parker rarely, if ever, jukes a defender to make him miss. Bettis actually did this much more than Parker.

  4. #44

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

    I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since bad word Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    Name these RBs. Willie has been clocked at a 4.29...and is an easy 4.35. How many backs have that kind of speed? Second, how many of them play for a running team like the Steelers. Third, there is a reason pure speed backs don't generally make it in the NFL. The next couple seasons will settle it...and you will say SMG...yep you were right. A complete back like Mendy plays a big role in making an O elite. Parker is a good complement. Why else would we draft Mendy? How long do you think Mendy will be the #2 back?

  5. #45
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,180

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i forgot to add that he may not ever run through defenders like bettis but parker makes a lot of deffenders miss. the result is exactly the same
    I'm not really on either side of the Parker debate, but I disagree with this statement. If a defender misses Parker it is because he takes a bad angle or can't catch him. However, Parker rarely, if ever, jukes a defender to make him miss. Bettis actually did this much more than Parker.
    That is why Bettis is going to the Hall of Fame...he was a freak of nature with his size and quickness. FWP is about speed, but he does not have the quick, nimble feet that Bettis had. Bettis is the best RB the Steelers ever had...period! If you compare him to every other Steeler RB you will never be satisfied because we are unlikely to ever have one as good as him for as long as he did it.

    Bettis made Cowher when we had mediocre QBs and a very unimaginative offense. If Cowher goes to the HoF the first person he should thank is Bettis.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #46
    SteelerSal1
    Guest

    Re: Parker Critics

    I'm not ready to give up on Willie, who has proven himself to be a top 10 back in the league, for Mendy who had one good season and has not played a snap in the NFL.

    I have high hopes for him and hope he becomes the future for the Steelers but his game stats last season against good opponents leave alot to be desired,IMO.

    2007 Game Log Rushing Receiving Fumbles
    DATE OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
    9/1 Missouri L 40-34 11 33 3.0 25 2 3 59 19.7 42 0 0 0
    9/8 Western Illinois W 21-0 23 139 6.0 17 1 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 0
    9/15 @Syracuse W 41-20 16 150 9.4 50 3 3 20 6.7 9 0 0 0
    9/22 @Indiana W 27-14 27 214 7.9 39 1 3 18 6.0 15 1 0 0
    9/29 Penn State W 27-20 18 76 4.2 16 1 4 27 6.8 10 0 0 0
    10/6 Wisconsin W 31-26 19 160 8.4 32 2 4 33 8.3 15 1 0 0
    10/13 @Iowa L 10-6 15 67 4.5 15 0 3 27 9.0 12 0 0 0
    10/20 Michigan L 27-17 18 85 4.7 13 0 4 26 6.5 15 0 0 0
    10/27 Ball State W 28-17 28 189 6.8 30 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
    11/3 @Minnesota W 44-17 17 201 11.8 64 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
    11/10 @Ohio State W 28-21 26 88 3.4 25 0 1 4 4.0 4 0 0 0
    11/17 Northwestern W 41-22 27 124 4.6 17 2 3 29 9.7 19 0 0 0
    THE ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY CITI AT PASADENA CA @USC L 49-17 17 155 9.1 79 1 5 59 11.8 55 0 0 0
    Chartable Statistics
    Rushing Yards By Year2005200620070 Yards 334 Yards 668 Yards 1002 Yards 1336 Yards 1670 Yards 2000 Yards 2186401681 Rushing Yards By Year
    Carries By Year
    Touchdowns By Year

    Stats provided by STATS LLC

  7. #47
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

    I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since bad word Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    Name these RBs. Willie has been clocked at a 4.29...and is an easy 4.35. How many backs have that kind of speed? Second, how many of them play for a running team like the Steelers. Third, there is a reason pure speed backs don't generally make it in the NFL. The next couple seasons will settle it...and you will say SMG...yep you were right. A complete back like Mendy plays a big role in making an O elite. Parker is a good complement. Why else would we draft Mendy? How long do you think Mendy will be the #2 back?
    Complimentary backs don't average 1337 yards/season. We drafted Mendy because he was BPA when we picked.

  8. #48
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,181

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since bad word Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    Name these RBs. Willie has been clocked at a 4.29...and is an easy 4.35. How many backs have that kind of speed? Second, how many of them play for a running team like the Steelers. Third, there is a reason pure speed backs don't generally make it in the NFL. The next couple seasons will settle it...and you will say SMG...yep you were right. A complete back like Mendy plays a big role in making an O elite. Parker is a good complement. Why else would we draft Mendy? How long do you think Mendy will be the #2 back?
    Trung Canidate is probably the poster back for speedsters who never made it. Michael Bennett supposedly ran a sub 4.2 at his pro day @ Wisconsin. I've also read where TJ Duckett has run in the low 4.3s although I find that hard to believe. That is why I say Willie has to have more going for him than just speed. You need more than that to make it in the NFL. Otherwise we would be looking at track stars to fill the running back position. Unless your argument is Willie hasn't made it in the NFL. If that's the case then I am speechless.

    I think we drafted Mendy because he was the BPA and that is a whole lot better than reaching for someone just because of need. If Mendy takes over the #1 back slot I will be thrilled because that means we have a superstar on our hands.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  9. #49

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

    I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since bad word Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    Name these RBs. Willie has been clocked at a 4.29...and is an easy 4.35. How many backs have that kind of speed? Second, how many of them play for a running team like the Steelers. Third, there is a reason pure speed backs don't generally make it in the NFL. The next couple seasons will settle it...and you will say SMG...yep you were right. A complete back like Mendy plays a big role in making an O elite. Parker is a good complement. Why else would we draft Mendy? How long do you think Mendy will be the #2 back?
    Complimentary backs don't average 1337 yards/season. We drafted Mendy because he was BPA when we picked.
    Compare the Stats of Parker last year to that of Reuben Droughns in 2005. Then ask yourself If Reuben Jones is anything special? Parker is a nice change up back that has been over used do to lack of depth. Parker even admitted that last year. He said " If htey brign someone else in here to help me out, I'm all for it." Bettis said, I want the ball 30 times a game.

  10. #50

    Re: Parker Critics

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

    I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.
    All I can say is there have been plenty of running backs in the league with blazing speed but have never come close to rushing for 1337 yards a season (Willie's average). This leads me to believe Willie must have other abilities that are above average or else these other runners would have put up those types of rushing yards.

    I think we all would like to have a running back that excels in all facets of the game. I've been following the Steelers since bad word Hoak was in the backfield and we have never had a back like that. At least not one I can think of. Barry Foster might have been the closest but I don't think he was ever considered to have blazing speed.

    Again, I like WP and think he is a very good back. Now if we get a back who comes in and is great I think that will be fantastic ... but until that time kicking WP to the curb would be a big mistake.
    Name these RBs. Willie has been clocked at a 4.29...and is an easy 4.35. How many backs have that kind of speed? Second, how many of them play for a running team like the Steelers. Third, there is a reason pure speed backs don't generally make it in the NFL. The next couple seasons will settle it...and you will say SMG...yep you were right. A complete back like Mendy plays a big role in making an O elite. Parker is a good complement. Why else would we draft Mendy? How long do you think Mendy will be the #2 back?
    Complimentary backs don't average 1337 yards/season. We drafted Mendy because he was BPA when we picked.
    Puleez...the guy can't consistantly move the chains. You can keep throwing that total yards stat out there and it doesn't mean anything to me. There is a reason the Steelers drafted a first round RB...and it wasn't to be a #2 back. That right there should speak volumes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •