Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker Critics

Re: Parker Critics

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    SoD - You'll get no argument from me there. I want to see the team get better too. I agree that if Mendy beats out Parker it's because he is better, which is good for the team and good for the fans.

My only beef is with folks who claim that a guy who has yet to play a regular season NFL down is already better than a guy who's probably going to go over 5,000 yards rushing this season. They can speculate that he'll be better. They can hope that he'll be better. They can predict that he'll be better. But to claim that he is already better is foolishness. It can't be proved.
    spot on... it'd be different if the comparison was to Kevan Barlow or some guy who is washed up... But, the comparison against one of the top 10 backs in the league... just can't prove it... but, i sure hope he is...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    SoD - I don't agree with Parker at 4 but my point was there are people who think more highly of him than some Steelers fans. Just as I don't agree that they put Palmer above Ben in the QB rankings. Overall I think their lists are pretty accurate to what most people think, but with a few tweaks.
    fair enough... Ben is top 5, IMO. that's hard to argue... Parker I would remove from the top 5, but, he is top 10...

I could be included in the Parker bashers.... but, I could also be included in the supporters by others...

Realistically, he's a solid RB, with a couple of flaws. And unlike many, I don't include power as one of them. He runs HARD...

Still, I'm hoping Mendy can take his job? Why? Not because I dislike Parker - but, because it would mean he is BETTER than Parker. I also hope Timmons beats out Foote for the same reason. Parker is certainly acceptable... as is Foote. But, I'll always take an upgrade at any position. Just as I rooted for Syracuse to beat out the consistent Clark, I'll also root for Hills to outperform the OTs.
    You have captured and articulated the essence of how I feel. Very well put.

But, I too, am and have been a Parker waffler -- not basher per se, but waffler.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

a few thoughts about fwp and last season. his ypc average was the lowest of his career but how many plays do you remember fwp getting hit a few yards behind the line of scrimmage? i remember seeing more of those plays then ever before and they definetly affect his ypc average. also about fwp being bad in the red zone or goal line situations to be affective in short yardage situations your o-line must get some push of the line no? almost every situation i remember the line getting no push or even getting blown back off the line. i love fwp but he does have flaws, every player has flaws. he will improve his game though, he isnt that old. hopefully mendenhall can excel in areas where fwp isnt the best, that would be the best situation for the team

Legend

MSM - I appreciate you taking the time to define what you mean by tough yards, but it appears as if your definition of tough yards puts it all on the RB and none on the OL. Like I said, if a team needs two yards and the line gets one then a RB who gets the tough yards should get that other one most times (no one succeeds every time). If you expect the RB to always get both then your expectations are completely unrealistic.

SoD - I don't agree with Parker at 4 but my point was there are people who think more highly of him than some Steelers fans. Just as I don't agree that they put Palmer above Ben in the QB rankings. Overall I think their lists are pretty accurate to what most people think, but with a few tweaks.
    MSM - I owe you an apology. The above post was in response to something that was posted by SMG (see below) and for some reason I thought it was yours. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I define it as several things...yards in the red zone...can he get 3 to move the sticks on third...etc and so forth. I can care less how the OL is playing...its really not the point. Our OL was not as bad as some make it...run blocking. They can't pass block but they were an above average run blocking team. I want a guy who can find yards when they are there...and when they are not. I want a back that can keep 3rd and long out of the game plan...I want a back that can run in the red zone. I want a back that falls foward. I want a back with vision...patience...natural nack to find holes. Parker is non of these things. I believe Parker could be a terrific complement back...especially if you were to play him late against tired Ds. But, to say Parker is the complete back is very short sighted...especially when you only base it on total yards.

See...I think the confusion is this D...you think guys like myself hate Parker. Thats the furthest thing from the truth. I have however been crying out to all that is Steeler for a complete back for 10+ years. Don't tell anyone...but I wasn't a Bettis fan either. So, I'm tough to please. I want a LT type back. I'm not sure Mendy can be that back but I will say from what I have seen from him I'm excited.

I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

I will stress again...Parker makes a perfect complement back.

Hall of Famer

See...I think the confusion is this D...you think guys like myself hate Parker. Thats the furthest thing from the truth. I have however been crying out to all that is Steeler for a complete back for 10+ years. Don't tell anyone...but I wasn't a Bettis fan either. So, I'm tough to please. I want a LT type back. I'm not sure Mendy can be that back but I will say from what I have seen from him I'm excited.

I want a back that can catch, run the A, B, and C gaps effectively, block, run with power, run with speed, is a first through third down back. Maybe I want too much...hey maybe I'm greedy...but Parker is none of those things. He is a speedster...when given a proper hole can take it house. Other than that...he is subaverage in every other part of his game.

you dont hate parker, dvs does though
    everyone wants a complete rb like lt but they are very rare to come by and even still lt has struggled at times. has he even gotten 100 yards against the steelers ever? i dont think he has.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

you dont hate parker, dvs does though
    everyone wants a complete rb like lt but they are very rare to come by and even still lt has struggled at times. has he even gotten 100 yards against the steelers ever? i dont think he has.
    Every back struggles but having a complete back opens up the entire offense. It's been my desire for at least 10 seasons.

Legend

RB's are a dime a dozen. LT type backs aren't. Nothing wrong with wanting one, but expecting one is an entirely different matter.

Again though, for a "compliment" back Parker has given us plenty. My opinion is that most of the criticism directed at him is largely unsubstantiated (especially the can't catch, has no moves and can't break a tackle stuff) and exists due to the expectations of unrealistic fans.

If someone better comes along and takes his place that's fine with me because it means the team gets better...but if that doesn't happen I'm happy with what Parker gives us.

Hall of Famer

RB's are a dime a dozen. LT type backs aren't. Nothing wrong with wanting one, but expecting one is an entirely different matter.

Again though, for a "compliment" back Parker has given us plenty. My opinion is that most of the criticism directed at him is largely unsubstantiated (especially the can't catch, has no moves and can't break a tackle stuff) and exists due to the expectations of unrealistic fans.

If someone better comes along and takes his place that's fine with me because it means the team gets better...but if that doesn't happen I'm happy with what Parker gives us.
    thats how i feel about fwp as well. he is hardly thrown any passes so you cant say he has no hands. i would love it if the steelers got a rb better than fwp. that would mean it would be an elite rb, but the situation the steelers have now couldnt be better. that is if mendenhall is the player most think he is. this offense could be so freakin good next year

Hall of Famer

thats how i feel about fwp as well. he is hardly thrown any passes so you cant say he has no hands. i would love it if the steelers got a rb better than fwp. that would mean it would be an elite rb, but the situation the steelers have now couldnt be better. that is if mendenhall is the player most think he is. this offense could be so freakin good next year