View Poll Results: Is it ok to be a fan of a team, but not all of it's players?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

17 77.27%
  • No.

0 0%
  • What's a Fan.

0 0%
  • I hate the Browns.

5 22.73%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Re: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    I may get killed on this one but I'm not a fan of Nate Washington. Probably b/c of message boards - I think he gets a ridiculous pass on his abilities because of the small school, cinderella story. He's anti-clutch and could be replaced in a nano-second.
    Even those of us who are fans of Nate are fans for 2 reasons:
    1) he has questionable hands, but, unbelievable everything else - even Ben has called him the best athlete on the team... decent speed, great hops, and the question is "is it his hands, (which he'd be stuck with) or is it his concentration (which can be worked on)."

2) as questionable as his hands are, he still made more plays than Ced, who he replaced. Even if he dropped half his passes (which he didn't) I'd rather have half of something than 100% of zero.

the worst part about it - now that he has a reputation for drops, people jump on him for ANY ball that gets near him - some of which are excusable...

I'm sure I'm not giving him enough credit (the Cincy game from '06 still sticks in my mind)but still think he's over rated. His salary is ridiculous against the cap this year - $1.4M. For a guy who will start out number three and most likely drop to number 4 as Sweed progresses he's simply not worth the money. I'd take Baker as the 4th guy in a heartbeat at a fraction of the cost.
    ...and he can't seem to find a place on Special Team despite his "freakish" athletic ability. The inability to contribute on ST as the likely #4 receiver is what makes the salary out of whack, but I guess I'm just a hater. He likely only earns his $1.4M if Hines or Santonio get hurt and he gets the additional reps.

The fact that he had less catches and a lower per catch average in 2007 versus 2006 despite our QB having the best year of his career demonstrates to me that he is not growing nor is he becoming a key in our offense. Other players like TEs and RBs are taking his catches. Not something that speaks for his long term contributions to this team.

Ending on a positve he is I guess an insurance policy against injuries.
    It's still less than Ced got ($ mil per, IIRC) in a deal SEVERAL years ago... and for MORE production... you're thinking in average Joe middle-class dude, money... Nate's contract is actually reasonable for what you'll get.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

This isn't babeball, it is football. In baseball, stats can tell 90% of the story. In football, stats can't tell you nearly as much because every football stat is followed by a dozen relevant questions.

When it comes to drops we ask the following:

How easy was the catch? Was he wide open with the ball hitting him in the numbers, or was the ball on his fingertips as he was getting pounded by the D?

What was the situation? Was it first down where the team still has two more shots at ten yards, or was it third down where the ball was dropped at a spot which would have produced the first?

What would have been the result if the ball was caught? Would it have been a first down? A touchdown? Or would he have been tackled for only a three yard gain?

Some of these drops are understandable and don't stick in your mind for long. Others are game changing and eat at you for a long time.

Many of Nate's drops are the memorable kind. A greater example of this was Quincy Morgan - who I rallied against non-stop when many fans wanted him kept, then brought back a few years later. Once again, the stats didn't show a disproportionate number of drops, but I will take 5 Hines Ward drops (many of which occur while he is in traffic, dropping to his knees while getting hit) before a Nate/Quincy "I was wide open, but oops" drop anyday.

Hall of Famer

the most important thing about nate washington is this. can anyone think of a #4 wr thats better? i definetly cant think of any at all. his hands may be questionable but he is a #4 now behind sweed, unless sweed is awful in camp and preseason. nate also makes a whole million dollars a year right? thats very cheap and besides how many balls is he really going to get thrown to him this season? i say hardly any at all with hines, holmes, miller and sweed, not to mention two very good rb's