View Poll Results: Is it ok to be a fan of a team, but not all of it's players?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

17 77.27%
  • No.

0 0%
  • What's a Fan.

0 0%
  • I hate the Browns.

5 22.73%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Pro Bowler

Re: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Nate needs to be more consistent. For every solid catch he makes, he drops
    two easy ones.

And say what you want about Ced, he always came through in big games.
    So by your count, Nate had 29 catches last year & 58 drops?

And as for Ced - Big games?...Let's not forget that he basically disappeared from the offense despite being signed to be a difference maker.

Getting back on topic...I'll assume you mean the current team & give you - Larry Foote. Talks way too much & gets steam-rolled way too often.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

I was trying to find a site that showed stats that included drops by WR. I did...sort of. It isn't comprehensive enough to include Nate Washington.

Steelers pass catchers with the most drops last season? Hines Ward and Najeh Davenport with 5 each.

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league ... opped.html

What I'd be curious to know is how many Nate had to get the percentage of passes he dropped. I'm guessing it's probably not as high as people think. I also believe that his drops are magnified because usually when he's on the field it is in a multiple receiver set, which typically means the situation (down, distance, down and distance, redzone, etc) is somewhat critical.

I don't like Anthony Smith. He is the type of player on the "other" team that
    normaklly loses his cool and makes mistakes and cost his team games.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I was trying to find a site that showed stats that included drops by WR. I did...sort of. It isn't comprehensive enough to include Nate Washington.

Steelers pass catchers with the most drops last season? Hines Ward and Najeh Davenport with 5 each.

What I'd be curious to know is how many Nate had to get the percentage of passes he dropped. I'm guessing it's probably not as high as people think. I also believe that his drops are magnified because usually when he's on the field it is in a multiple receiver set, which typically means the situation (down, distance, down and distance, redzone, etc) is somewhat critical.
    Again, I think his problem is that people saw a few drops in his first 2 years and it's all they think about with him now. When he does have a drop, it's magnified because they were expxecting it. Its sorta like Parker has with fumbles. His number isn't high, but, they come in bunches.

Nate obviously had fewer than 5, most likely somewhere around 3 drops (or 1 in 10). that's not terribly different than your average Wr.... look at TO's double-figure drops and his status.

In 2 seasons, his numbers are: 64 catches, 1074 yards for 16.8 average with 9 TDs. Assuming he had fewer than 5 drops (or else he'd be on that list), let's ballpark 8 drops over the 2 seasons. I'll take that from a #3.

Here's to hoping Sweed can match (or improve upon) those numbers.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletfire1970
    While it may be possible to be a fan of the team and not like all of its players, (I didn't like Cedge) I find it impossible for anyone to be a fan of this team and not like Hines Ward. I mean, how the heck can you not cheer for that guy on Sundays? He is every bit of the epitomy of Steeler football.

great post i agree 100%. it makes me angry to think of a steeler fan not liking hines. he is the toughest and hardest player on this team. he puts it all on the line and winning is more important to him than anything. isnt that what you expect and want out of any player? to call him dirty is just plain dumb, how can a wr be dirty anyways? the guy loves to hit people. id rather have a wr like that then some pansy a$$ like moss or plax who are just about themselves and could care less about the team.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Again, I think his problem is that people saw a few drops in his first 2 years and it's all they think about with him now. When he does have a drop, it's magnified because they were expxecting it. Its sorta like Parker has with fumbles. His number isn't high, but, they come in bunches.

Nate obviously had fewer than 5, most likely somewhere around 3 drops (or 1 in 10). that's not terribly different than your average Wr.... look at TO's double-figure drops and his status.

In 2 seasons, his numbers are: 64 catches, 1074 yards for 16.8 average with 9 TDs. Assuming he had fewer than 5 drops (or else he'd be on that list), let's ballpark 8 drops over the 2 seasons. I'll take that from a #3.

Here's to hoping Sweed can match (or improve upon) those numbers.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    I may get killed on this one but I'm not a fan of Nate Washington. Probably b/c of message boards - I think he gets a ridiculous pass on his abilities because of the small school, cinderella story. He's anti-clutch and could be replaced in a nano-second.
    Even those of us who are fans of Nate are fans for 2 reasons:
    1) he has questionable hands, but, unbelievable everything else - even Ben has called him the best athlete on the team... decent speed, great hops, and the question is "is it his hands, (which he'd be stuck with) or is it his concentration (which can be worked on)."

2) as questionable as his hands are, he still made more plays than Ced, who he replaced. Even if he dropped half his passes (which he didn't) I'd rather have half of something than 100% of zero.

the worst part about it - now that he has a reputation for drops, people jump on him for ANY ball that gets near him - some of which are excusable...

I'm sure I'm not giving him enough credit (the Cincy game from '06 still sticks in my mind)but still think he's over rated. His salary is ridiculous against the cap this year - $1.4M. For a guy who will start out number three and most likely drop to number 4 as Sweed progresses he's simply not worth the money. I'd take Baker as the 4th guy in a heartbeat at a fraction of the cost.

Legend

I may get killed on this one but I'm not a fan of Nate Washington. Probably b/c of message boards - I think he gets a ridiculous pass on his abilities because of the small school, cinderella story. He's anti-clutch and could be replaced in a nano-second.
    Even those of us who are fans of Nate are fans for 2 reasons:
    1) he has questionable hands, but, unbelievable everything else - even Ben has called him the best athlete on the team... decent speed, great hops, and the question is "is it his hands, (which he'd be stuck with) or is it his concentration (which can be worked on)."

2) as questionable as his hands are, he still made more plays than Ced, who he replaced. Even if he dropped half his passes (which he didn't) I'd rather have half of something than 100% of zero.

the worst part about it - now that he has a reputation for drops, people jump on him for ANY ball that gets near him - some of which are excusable...

I'm sure I'm not giving him enough credit (the Cincy game from '06 still sticks in my mind)but still think he's over rated. His salary is ridiculous against the cap this year - $1.4M. For a guy who will start out number three and most likely drop to number 4 as Sweed progresses he's simply not worth the money. I'd take Baker as the 4th guy in a heartbeat at a fraction of the cost.
    ...and he can't seem to find a place on Special Team despite his "freakish" athletic ability. The inability to contribute on ST as the likely #4 receiver is what makes the salary out of whack, but I guess I'm just a hater. He likely only earns his $1.4M if Hines or Santonio get hurt and he gets the additional reps.

The fact that he had less catches and a lower per catch average in 2007 versus 2006 despite our QB having the best year of his career demonstrates to me that he is not growing nor is he becoming a key in our offense. Other players like TEs and RBs are taking his catches. Not something that speaks for his long term contributions to this team.

Ending on a positve he is I guess an insurance policy against injuries.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hogerules33

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    great post i agree 100%. it makes me angry to think of a steeler fan not liking hines. he is the toughest and hardest player on this team. he puts it all on the line and winning is more important to him than anything. isnt that what you expect and want out of any player? to call him dirty is just plain dumb, how can a wr be dirty anyways? the guy loves to hit people. id rather have a wr like that then some pansy a$$ like moss or plax who are just about themselves and could care less about the team.
    Where was Hines caring about "the team" when he hijacked it and held out for a new contract when he knew the Steelers absolutely had to sign a WR after plax left (with ARE being the number 2 wideout... ).

I told you he was a tough, classic over achiever. He's got my respect there. But I cannot stand him as a person. I think he is a whiner and he deliberately hits late on plays. Then he taunts the downed players with that ridiculous grin on his face like he did something amazing. Ward is not liked very much by opposing teams fans, trust me I have to hear it every time they play the Steelers.

As far as taking Ward over Moss...Randy Moss is quite possibly the best player to ever play the game. He is an absolute game changing force and I would take him over any receiver who "blocks well".

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Hogerules33
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Where was Hines caring about "the team" when he hijacked it and held out for a new contract when he knew the Steelers absolutely had to sign a WR after plax left (with ARE being the number 2 wideout... ).

I told you he was a tough, classic over achiever. He's got my respect there. But I cannot stand him as a person. I think he is a whiner and he deliberately hits late on plays. Then he taunts the downed players with that ridiculous grin on his face like he did something amazing. Ward is not liked very much by opposing teams fans, trust me I have to hear it every time they play the Steelers.

As far as taking Ward over Moss...Randy Moss is quite possibly the best player to ever play the game. He is an absolute game changing force and I would take him over any receiver who "blocks well".
    i didnt mean hines is better than moss, i mean if i was a coach i would rather have hines than moss. i can not stand players like moss and to, they make me sick. tell me how hines hijacked a contract? thats ridiculous, what athelete doesnt want to get paid well? do you hate ben as well? im glad other fans and teams hate him. i freakin love that!! how well liked was jpeezey or jack lambert? what difference does that make at all? he doesnt whine either. he needs to feel slighted or not respected. thats what fuels the fire for him, its motivation. moss being the best player ever is absurd. not even the best wr, rice was better. if you want to compare overall players i would take the real lt, the fake lt, peyton, brady, montana, marino, deion, rod woodson, etc. etc.