View Poll Results: Is it ok to be a fan of a team, but not all of it's players?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

17 77.27%
  • No.

0 0%
  • What's a Fan.

0 0%
  • I hate the Browns.

5 22.73%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting Question: Which Steeler do you NOT like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Nate needs to be more consistent. For every solid catch he makes, he drops
    two easy ones.

And say what you want about Ced, he always came through in big games.

thats a good point. he had a huge game in the afccg in 05 against denver. he also had a big game against seattle last season when holmes and ward were out. he still was way over paid and was a cry baby though

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hogerules33
    Hines Ward

He's a classic overachiever, and very intelligent player.

But he hijacked the team for a longterm deal when we had to sign him after Plax left, he whines, and has been voted by NFL players consistently as one of the "dirty" players in the league. He will level a CB or LB late in the play, and then stand over their dazed body and taunt them (which he has been flagged for more than once).

I didn't like it when Warren Sapp did it to Chad Clifton, and I don't like it when Hines does it to other players.

Others on my list: Joey Porter, Plax, Eric Greene, Duce Staley.
    I can see some of your other points, but I believe that one should be a non-issue. Year after year when that poll is conducted he gets like 2 or 3 votes...out of a few hundred players polled.

And it's my belief that the guys voting for him are the ones tired of having their asses whupped by him. This is their way at taking a cowardly, anonymous swipe at him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn't like it when Warren Sapp did it to Chad Clifton, and I don't like it when Hines does it to other players.
    that play was totally within the rules and i don't care where you are on the field or where the play is on the field, you play until the whistle blows. PERIOD.

Sapp didn't do anything wrong. Clifton did.

If you played, you've almost certainly been de-cleated at one point or another when you were loligagging... and if u r smart, it never happened again.

Your statement is like saying, if you have a clear shot at the QB and his back is to you, you should hit him softer... or perhaps we should just 2-hand touch him down.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I could not stand Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington. Those two may be fine individuals frankly but whenever we were playing a team that passed a great deal and the ball was up in the air, I held my breath. Those guys just couldn't seem to cover anyone.

go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

easy
    sean mahan

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    I may get killed on this one but I'm not a fan of Nate Washington. Probably b/c of message boards - I think he gets a ridiculous pass on his abilities because of the small school, cinderella story. He's anti-clutch and could be replaced in a nano-second.
    Even those of us who are fans of Nate are fans for 2 reasons:
    1) he has questionable hands, but, unbelievable everything else - even Ben has called him the best athlete on the team... decent speed, great hops, and the question is "is it his hands, (which he'd be stuck with) or is it his concentration (which can be worked on)."

2) as questionable as his hands are, he still made more plays than Ced, who he replaced. Even if he dropped half his passes (which he didn't) I'd rather have half of something than 100% of zero.

the worst part about it - now that he has a reputation for drops, people jump on him for ANY ball that gets near him - some of which are excusable...

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Hogerules33

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    that play was totally within the rules and i don't care where you are on the field or where the play is on the field, you play until the whistle blows. PERIOD.

Sapp didn't do anything wrong. Clifton did.

If you played, you've almost certainly been de-cleated at one point or another when you were loligagging... and if u r smart, it never happened again.

Sapp saw Clifton 30 yards away from the play, in a slow jog in pursuit of a DB who intercepted a pass. He went full bore at a guy who had no impact whatsoever on the play, and ended up putting him in the hospital.

Then he laughed with his teammates at the Jumbo Tron while Clifton was getting worked on by the Green Bay trainers.

It was a dirty play by a fat ass loud mouth defensive tackle, who wanted to get a shot in on a guy who wasn't even looking. He justified it the same way you did, by saying you "play to the whistle". Thats right and all, but there are things that are frowned on by fans and players that are within the rules.

Your statement is like saying, if you have a clear shot at the QB and his back is to you, you should hit him softer... or perhaps we should just 2-hand touch him down.
    No, the two situations aren't even close.

You hit a QB as hard as you can to cause a fumble, and thus change the outcome of the play.

Whether Sapp hit Clifton hard or soft (or not at all), had NO bearing on the outcome of the play. He did it just to get a cheap shot in, and lay out an unsuspecting O-lineman.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

While it may be possible to be a fan of the team and not like all of its players, (I didn't like Cedge) I find it impossible for anyone to be a fan of this team and not like Hines Ward. I mean, how the heck can you not cheer for that guy on Sundays? He is every bit of the epitomy of Steeler football.

BIG FAN

Interesting choices.
    I chose I hate the Browns, simply because I'm the type of Steeler fan who will. While I am loathe to say I dislike any of our players, I will when I think it's called for, but I will always feel like it's a right given as a fan.
    And if your from S.W Pa. you have the right to eat your own.
    If we thought our team was perfect, we would all hail from N.E*
    As most of us dont, we have to suffer through mere mortal football players who win by knockin the ever lovin', slobber knocking snot out of opponents, and sometimes have to win ugly as most teams in the NFL tend to gear up a little more for us. I tend to give some huss to players I dont like. I for one really did not care for Peezy, getting thrown out of a game in Clev. before the whistle even blew!
    That's really the last time I was mad, offended and disappointed outside of the big N.O.D.

Legend

User Info Menu

It was a dirty play by a fat bad word loud mouth defensive tackle, who wanted to get a shot in on a guy who wasn't even looking. He justified it the same way you did, by saying you "play to the whistle". Thats right and all, but there are things that are frowned on by fans and players that are within the rules.
    That's where I disagree. Even Clifton, HIMSELF, said he should known better. And he should have.

Aside from a few angry Packers, most player comments I read ALSO said, "you play until the whistle". It was after a turnover and if his defender had needed to reverse field and Clifton made the tackle, people would criticize him for not making that block. Blocking him was the RIGHT play. Period. That part is not even debatable.

Apparently, what is debatable is whether he should decleat him, or 2-hand touch him. I've noted that you prefer the 2-hand touch method.

Typically, I prefer that blockers actually block a guy when presented the opportunity. :P

Seriously, the only people up in arms were (some) fans and the media.

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)